Mental Health Forums

Prozac

kissprudence

Hi everyone!

Just curious to see how many of you with BPD or bipolar disorder have been prescribed prozac? What was the dosage? Did the doctor know you had BPD when it was prescribed? How did you get on? Was it helpful?

Tell me to sod off if I'm being nosey!

Just interested because of my own experience with it.

Many thanks,

KP

xx

I've tried to get onto it twice, but both times it's first destroyed my appetite, then my sleep (at all). So I've always come off it again. I've never heard of anybody else having the same experience though.

strat

I've had it, first at 20mg then 40mg- 20 really helped, then it stopped working and the 40 made me feel really strange and behave strangely. We don't know for sure that I have BPD. I'm going to go back on prozac today, as I decided to come off it and take st johns wort but that turned out to be a disaster....it's not perfect but at the moment I feel awful without it and I need something until I can talk to my Dr about what drug might be more helpful for me.

Mel xx

Thank you Stratiotes!

Prozac can have an agitative effect on some people, which is why your appetite and sleep patterns were affected. I think it suits some people better than others.

Thanks for replying!

KP

Hi OTB,

Thanks for replying. That's interesting. So 20mg worked for a while for you? That's what they give people for depression usually. When you say you started to feel and act strange on the higher dose of 40mg, what do you mean? Can you try to describe it for me?

I'd be really grateful.

KP

xx

I've used it, my doctor knew about me being BPD. It worked for a while, but then after 4 months I wasn't able to sleep or to do things by myself like at the begining and the doctor changed it to Effexor.

Leslie

Wow!

Thanks for those responses guys! You're all stars! I'm glad that I'm not alone in this!

Leslie,

Interesting that you became increasingly worse on it. Think it may be okay for straightforward depression (if there is any such thing!), but not for any illness which involves impulsions, anger or mania. It seems to further agitate people who have these symptoms, and a doctor I know agrees with me on this. Really glad to hear you're having some success with Effexor!

Bill,

Yes, you were wise to stop it straight away! Again, it seems to have had a highly agitating effect on you. Panic attacks are really debilitating and quite terrifying. I'm glad you recognised the problem and put it right!

Innerpeace,

Oh yes! I know this feeling! How well you put it! I also, "Lost my ability to care about anything or anyone except committing suicide." Very strong emotional reaction and I'm so grateful to you for being so honest about it. Thank you. I can TOTALLY relate to what you said there! It's also unusual that you put on weight whilst taking prozac. Did your appetite increase or did you just gain weight because of a reaction to the drug?

Okay everyone, thank you so much for responding and please keep the information coming! At the end of it, I'll tell you all why I'm so interested in this!

Ooooohhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Suspense!!!!

Again, many, many thanks!

KP

xx

You're a sweetie KP! Are you doing a project....?

The first week or so of prozac, my anxiety increased to the point where I was terrified of water- even though I recently learnt to swim and wanted to be in the pool- I could swim when it was freezing and there were only 3 people in the water (but dad had to coax me in), but when there was a pool full of kids and toys on a hot day I couldn't do it.

I feel calmer back on it though- when I stopped for a few days I felt impulsive, confused and just generally miserable. The agitating effect is good when it provides some get-up-and-go to get out of bed and do things, but when it turns me into an anxious wreck and makes my paranoia worse, it's not good.

I have also heard good things about Effexor- will ask the Dr about it tomorrow.

Melissa xx

I had it once.. made my anxiety skyrocket and so naturally i stopped taking it.. Im on Zoloft and ativan now... but still pretty new so im not sure if the Zoloft will work.. the ativan is working for my anxiety though.

I tried Prozac once and it made me feel MUCH worse - I mean like I just felt like death would be a logical

escape u know that right at the bottom feeling. Incidentally my father had the same reaction to it.

I take Effexor XL these days @375mg it's the only drug which has ever helped )I can't remember what the

Prozac dose was(.

I was on 20mg for a little while. It really brought out the aggressive impulsive side of me so I stopped taking it pretty quickly. I was prescribed it by my psychiatrist who was aware of the BPD diagnosis.

Duuuuuudes!!!!

Can't believe the response I am getting to this thread! It's my first, and I was so scared that no-one would write anything! But you've all been great! Thank you so much everyone!

Hello again OTB!

Thank you for elaborating on that! You've hit the nail on the head with your comment, "The agitating effect is good when it provides some get-up-and-go to get out of bed and do things, but when it turns me into an anxious wreck and makes my paranoia worse, it's not good." I think that prozac is okay for treating a persistent, unchanging depression, but I'd say it's quite unsuitable for people whose symptoms involve the upsy-downsies!

Hi Ravenna,

Cool avatar! Thanks for responding! So it upped your symptoms of anxiety? A few people have reported a similar experience on prozac. Really pleased to hear you've found some medication that is working for you. I think it's important to realise that everyone is different, and what works for one person might not work for another. Good for you that you kept trying!

Hello Michael!

Aha! Another strong response! Thanks you for being so candid about it. Innerpeace had a similar experience to you, in that it caused really distressing suicidal feelings and thoughts. I have heard good things about Effexor. 375mg sounds like a high dose. Is that the usual? Do they vary the dose depending on the severity of your symptoms?

Hmm... It's very interesting that some of us are obviously deeply affected by prozac (and no doubt, other drugs too).

And yes, OTB, I am looking into this because I am hoping to do some research of my own in the future! Don't worry everyone, I am certainly not stealing your quotes or publishing anything you have said! I am simply getting an idea of other people's experiences, so see if I am alone in this or not! I have complete respect for your privacy and I think it's vitally important that what is discussed on this forum remains confidential.

I am going to start a new threat soon, which relates to this one, and I would absolutely love it if you would all help me with it! You've been brilliant so far, thank you soooooo much guys! Your honesty is invaluable and I'm really grateful to you all.

THANK YOU!

KP

xx

P.S. If anyone else wants to add anything, please do! I'm hoping to keep it open for as long as possible! Also, if any of you guys remember anything else you'd like to tell me about with regards to prozac, please don't hesitate to get back on here!

P.P.S. I'm happy now! Yip! Yip!

:D

Hey Morgan!

Thanks for resonding! I must've just missed you!

An increase in arousal levels is something that others have described. I'm glad you were able to come off it before it caused too many problems for you.

Thank you for the info!

Best wishes,

KP

xx

Hey KP, you certainly are quite a character, you always cheer me up! The prozac wasn't working for me lately though so I have been prescribed sertraline (lustral).

Mel xx

I am going to start a new threat soon, which relates to this one, and I would absolutely love it if you would all help me with it!

Oh dear!

Wish to apologise for my ghastly and inappropriate spelling error!

Probably Freudian!

Gawd 'elp us guv'nor!

Sorry chaps!

KP

xx

P.S. Hey Melissa! What's that you were saying about my being a "character"? Mad as a kitten in a wig, I am! Hoorah!

I was on Prozac for Depression a few years ago, can't remember what dose.

I didn't have any side affects from it, but it didn't really have any affect on me at all.

Hi Michael! Hi Mandy!

Thanks very much for the input! It's great to get an insight into how we are affected by various medications. We're quite a sensitive bunch I think.

Michael, surely "fairly bonkers" translates into "misunderstood genius"?! I know what you mean about "half made", although it makes me a little sad to hear you put it into words like that. I tend to think of myself as a broken toy - I was overwound somewhere along the way and all my springs popped out!

Take care,

KP

xx

i take 20mg but have been on it for 8 years and to combat the anxiety side effect i was on propranalol for 4 months

prozac seems to be the only thing that doesnt make me worse

earlier this year i went really ill and instead of changing the dose he sent me to therapy as he felt i had more than just the basic clinical depression and thought i may have ocd and extreme anxiety and social phobia as well as gad.

3 weeks ago i was diagnosed with bpd dp and dr so this site has been fantastic in its help of understanding.

i'm not getting more meds as doc thinks therapy will help more

i shall see how it goes as once this course of therapy is over i go back to psych for final evaluation and she may change meds i hope she does as i want to be stable.

prozac has made me more hungry and so i am having trouble dieting as due to a physical illness i cant exercise

Thanks chaps!

Bridget, hi! You take 180mg of prozac a day? I've never heard of a dose anywhere near that high! The highest dose I was aware of is 60mg daily. But, if it works for you and you have no adverse reactions, then that's the most important thing and I'm glad to hear it's helping you!

Hello Nettynoodle!

Have to say Netty, that I have been secretly coveting your lovely rodent ever since I first laid eyes on him! Is he dancing or having a tantrum? He is fantastic! I always get excited when I see one of your posts, because I just LOVE him! Sooooo cool!

Anyway, thank you for telling me about your experiences. I am really happy to hear that you have obviously found a good doctor. I agree that having a diagnosis which fits your symptoms (rather than trying to fit your symptoms to a diagnosis!) is extremely helpful. And I think your doctor is absolutely right in saying that drugs are not enough to treat BPD.

We are complex, exceptionally sensitive people, all of us. And we have been deeply affected by life's experiences. In my opinion, pills alone are not a satisfactory solution.

So there!

Okay, thanks again chaps! Your information and honesty is invaluable to me. I really appreciate it.

Take care,

KP

xx

I used to take prozac but unfortunately at the time I also took anything else offered, drank a lot and was constantly out of it, so I thought that it was rubbish when it was actually me that was not respecting it and abusing myself and the effects the drug could have had on me, But I was in a very bad place back then.

I have been offered it or a relation to it this year but declined due to the fact I want a diagnosis before any more prescriptions are placed in my palm (stupid or couragous??? who knows), I am now being reffered to the pros and if in the future am told it is a drug that could work for me I would give it another go deffinately if it was needed. :D

For now though I am med free after four plus years on trazadone at 150mg each night (too much I reckon), but I do have days I feel I need help to motivate me.And my ocd has been getting worse lately too, which is confusing cos I have had some really good days and it is normally harder to deal with on bad days.anyway enough of me ........

tcxxx

Archived