Mental Health Forums

Olanzapine And Weight Gain

Vorpalblade

who has been on olanzapine?

i have been on it for about 6 weeks now and it is seriously gonna kill me, i mean it, i am eating so many fatty and sugary foods that my cholesterol level is going to be through the roof and i will die of a heart attack if i stay on it much longer.

i get up once or twice in teh night to snack on biscuits and chocolate.

yesterday i must have eaten about 3500 calories :wacko:

this simply cannot go on.

the sad thing being that this med does actually appear to be working for me, especially on my psychosis issues.

gonna have to talk about it to my shrink tomrrow

Bladey

i was given this some months ago when i was in hospital but i had bad reaction. so other than that im not sure if it puts weight on or not sry bladey.

Bladey

maybe the munchy side effects will subside when you have been on it a bit longer?

i dont know, i am in the same boat right now, i can nt get enough choccy and fat and i hate it.

usually i only eat low fat or no fat foods.

hang in there hon, if its working i hope they can reassure you this wont last forever.

jai

x

(((Bladey)))

I have been on olanzapine in the past and put on 3 stone! :(

All I can suggest is to try and have low cal stuff handy to nibble on to keep your digestive system busy. Or maybe fill up on pints of no sugar drinks?

Maybe others have been on it and not gained?

Hope you don't gain enough for you to be made unhappy and that your pdoc session goes well tomorrow. :hug2:

tc

mort x

I've been on olanzapine since April and I have gained weight, sadly. I do find the olanzapine helps though so I'm sticking at it, it's a good medication. After a while the appetite decreases a bit, well I've found it has for me. Hope you feel better with it soon :)

Hi Blade,

I had the same problem as you when I was put on olanzapine. I was just constantly eating!! I didn't realise how much weight I was putting on until my clothes didn't fit me anymore! It can also cause high blood sugar (possibly leading to Type 2 diabetes) - not trying to worry you or anything...! The (possible) consolation is that when I came off it I started losing weight straight away without even trying as I didn't want to eat so much! I was on 15mg/day at its highest. If I can be of any help please let me know.

*hugs*

Mush

I gained lots of weight on olanzapine. But I was underweight when they started it, and I went up about 2.5 - 3 stone as I recall. I hated it. So I just quit it. I find for some reason that loosing med weight is more difficult than loosing normal weight.

Why can't they just make meds to help us that have no side effects?!?! ^_^

• 2 months later...

hehehhe

i am sorry for smiling

but that fucking meds is evil!! so is largactil..

i turned into an elephant on it, but a happy some days!!

IT JUST FUCKING DOESNT MAKE SENSE!!

THERE IS NO ESCAPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 1 month later...

I have heard that chewing the olanzapine instead of swallowing it whole stops the incredible munchies it gives you. Something about it affecting the seratonin receptors immediately instead of over a period of time. Give it a go, my step father swears by it. I am on olanzapine wafers and still get horrible cravings for gross food, but they are the only meds which calm my agitation :S

Archived