Mental Health Forums

Shock Treatments

verbena

I have only seen people that have gone through them. It does involve memory loss for a while but I can try and find out other stuff if you want. Used more in depression nowadays. Thats it off the top of my head.

I have seen one person get dramatically less depressed through it, she could hardly talk but now she is much happier and back at home with her husband.

Have they said why they are thinking of making you have it?

GInger

Verbena, other than scare stuff I only know what I read recently. It sounds like the treatment has moved on since one flew over the cuckoo's nest but I'd still ask the doc loads of questions about why they think this will work over drugs and therapy. Here's what I read...

"ECT is almost always only given when other treatments have failed and when the patient is very suicidal. It is best given with a brief anaesthesia, a muscle relaxant and oxygen ventilation. Electrodes are placed on either side of the head and a current is passed to cause a seizure lasting for about 30seconds. Such treatments are usually carried out two or three times a week for several weeks. Placing the electrodes on one side of the head on the non-dominant hemisphere, as done in Sweden, reduces any effects on memory. The treatment has been described as no worse than a visit to the dentist. There are many reports of memory loss but these are usually only temporary.

Contrary to common sense it is not the applied electricity that is the therapeutic agent in ECT but the seizures that it causes. ECT requires the passage of an electric current through the brain sufficient to stimulate the hypothalamus and pituitary and to elicit a grand mal seizure. It is also necessary that the seizures, to be effective, are continued over a month or so. There is no good evidence that ECT exerts its effect in a manner similar to that of drugs which affect neurotransmitters. One view is that ECT exerts its effects via hormones. It could cause the release of hormones from the hypothalamus like ACTH and endorphins and also from the pituitary"

Thats from Malignant Sadness, The Anatomy of Depression by Lewis Wolpert, which is published in London by Faber and Faber. I hope it gives you enough details to ask some questions of yr doc. I liked the book, it was a bit sciency in places but I'm a scientist so I appreciated the biochemical explanantion of depression and treatments, it made me feel less wacko :wacko:

Good luck and don't let them push you, do what's right for you in yr own time

Kalini

They can't force me. It was suggested by the psychiatrist for extreme sadness that medication wasn't helping. The psychologist only said some people are grateful for the memory loss. I had four days off work and feel a bit better now. Still not completely out of myself, but I can't see possibly losing my job for time off.

I've received them, about 4 times, when no other medications seem to work I would do it again, it helped me a lot and I could overcome depression easily.

If you are under anesthesia the only memory you lose is the one at the moment of the ECT, if you don't have anesthesia there is a bit of memory lose but nothing significant.

Take care,

Leslie

i had them many years ago but i am told they are much more humane and accurate now. i lost lots of memory but most came back (such as forgetting i had a son and forgetting how to write).

they have been suggested for me also but i would not do it again

bets

My brother had this treatment and it changed him dramaticly. He seemed to loose the fun side of his personality and lost all drive. Im sure these things are far more accurate now but I would never have it done or allow my wife to have it either.

I think it very much depends on the problems U are dealing with. I firmly believe that BPD is compounded ptsd which resault in the patients learning new ways (But not always wise ways) to deal with the problems they are facing.

If the medical practisioners discovered and properly treated this condition earlier, the problems that are in bedded would not be so hard to undo! I believe that DBT is a much better option than shock treatment.

The mind is so complex and I don't think any one can be sure of the damage that can be done by this method of treatment. Again I stress that these are my personal views.

Im with Stuart on this one. It scares the shit out of me, I feel its like taking a JCB to peel a banana, theres so little understood about the process. My brain is the most precious asset i have, even fucked-up as it is. I told my shrink if she even suggested it again I would sue everyone in sight!

Personal opinion only

rebeccaborderline

I had Eighteen ect's in the lare eighties. They put you out and give you amuscle relaxant. The only pain in the process is the needle. Afterwards I had amild headache and memory loss. Today my short term memory is crap, I can watch a DVD, then the next day not remember it. My phsyc' says that is because I had so many in a very short time. So if you agree check how many they schedule you for. Hope that helps

Good Luck

Murdock

Archived