Mental Health Forums

Risperidone

lostsoul

Ok so I saw my psychiatrist today and we had a chat about what drugs I should be put on.

She gave me two options. Prozac, or Risperadone.

She said Risperadone is suitable for BPD, which she has now officially diagnosed me with.

I have menetioned to her that I have had some experiences which could I suppose be classed as mildly pyschotic, but that's the thing - how do you know if they were actually psychotic or even if they were enough psychotic to warrant an anti-psychotic drug like Rieperadone?

I didn't think psychosis was one of my problems. But maybe it is. I just don't know. The more I think about it the more I don't know.

My question is: HAS ANYONE HAD RISPERADONE for BPD and not pyschosis?

As far as my research turns up, it is a drug for straight schizophrenia and psychosis, not a drug used for bpd, SO I AM VERY CONFUSED!

It is used also as a mood stabiliser, I am surprised that the shrink didnt tell ya that. Many drugs have many uses, take for instance, hydroxyzine which is also called, vistaril and atarax, the hydroxizine is used as a sleeping pill and as a antiemetic, to stop ya throwing up, the atarax is used for ppl you have lots of itching. I know what my choice would be, and it wouldnt be Risperal. makes ya gain weight

thanks wabby wub

yeah she never said anything about it acting as a stabiliser. she just said it would help, make me calmer. that's it. SHE SHOULD HAVE SAID. God.

i am a bit worried about this drug because i already have mild hypotension and get dizzy standing up. and this drug gives you hypotension. and she never even asked me if I had blood pressure problems. ??

have you taken it and if so did it help stabilise your moods or was it a waste of time for you. i know its different for everyone but i never heard of it and seems to be one of the least commonly prescribed drugs to people on here. ???

thanks wab.

claire

xx

ps i know this is vanity driven but i really dont want to put on weight beacause i hate myself enough already. god you just can't win.

I take it to help control the anxiety that when it gets to intense results in mild psychotic symptoms.

I swear by it. Can be a little tough to get on but for me well worth it.

p.s I lost weight the first few months I was on it :P

But if you are concerned there are many other options you can try first. Anti psychotics where the last meds they tried with me. It was hoped it wouldnt be needed.

so the weight gain did not happen to you. you actually lost weight. hmmm??!!

oh well i will have to see how i go i suppose. good to hear they have worked for you it gives me hope.

i will not start until after xmas there is too much going on till then...

thanks lorna

wb wb

Hi Lostsoul

My psych put me on thes eback in september but on a very low dose to help with anxiety and impulse control.

They didn't do a thing for me so I am now on chlorpromazine - another anti psychotic.

The risperidone made me put on weight as does the chlorpromazine but theres' not much I can do about that. I do understand what you mean though. I too hate myself enough without getting even fatter!

Deadwhisper xxx

Meant to add ,its not the meds that make you fat its the food you eat whilest on them.

If you are aware of that and keep to a good well balanced diet you shouldnt gain a pound.

ACK ACK ACK.

that was the worst medication i have EVER. EVER. EVER. EVER been on.

it made me gain weight, it made me LACTATE (no joke.. i was 13) it made me feel like i was underwater, i was constantly sleepy, my psychiatrist said it had a chance of causing tardive dyskinesia (sp?), ack ack ack. it might be different for you, however. i depised it.

good luck with that, let me know which one you choose.

:P i love the ack ack ack so expressive! ta!

yeah i too hope i do better on it than you did. sorry your experience with it was so crappy - the lactating was a concern for me, that and the neck jerking and eye rolling! :lol: my mental hospital patient debut...

it can give you tardive dys. thingy. i am dead worried about taking it but feel that the .5mg dose should be ok. i think most of the side-effects occur at the higher mg doses.

out of interest what has worked for you?

thanks for your comments B) deadwhisper, lorna and monoxide xx

:P  i love the ack ack ack so expressive! ta!

yeah i too hope i do better on it than you did. sorry your experience with it was so crappy - the lactating was a concern for me, that and the neck jerking and eye rolling!  :lol: my mental hospital patient debut...

it can give you tardive dys. thingy. i am dead worried about taking it but feel that the .5mg dose should be ok. i think most of the side-effects occur at the higher mg doses.

out of interest what has worked for you?

thanks for your comments  B) deadwhisper, lorna and monoxide xx

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

geodon. geodon, geodon, and more geodon! i'm on a big dose of geodon. 400 mg. but it works like a charm. no side effects at all. first there was a little sleepiness, but then there was nothing. it really helps with my psychotic features. i love it.

i'm on seroquel as well- but i take that at night. it helps me sleep. that's originally what i was on it for. [=

hope that helps.

<3

corinne

Monoxine-My psyc wanted me to go on Risperidone but when he realised I was Under 18 dismissed it instantly. Maybe that's why you had such a bad reaction to it?

sorry I'm a abit stupid lol what I meant was that I don't think it's recomended to take if under 18.

sorry lol

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

don worry hon, i got what you meant the first time around. [=

and probably yeah.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, i started and i stopped already. They were that good lol!

yeah really not a nice experience. more like being on acid i reckon. bad acid!!!!

i was ok during the day but then got this whapping migraine about 5pm, and went to bed cos it was like, i gotta sleep this off, and the meds made me tired anyway so i thought why not?!

when i woke up the whole game had changed. jeeezus.

i felt like there was a vacumm cleaner in the back of my head and my 'self' was being sucked into it. Then the lid closed. And i was like, BLINK> where am i?

i looked down at my arms and they looked 'orrible, as though they were not mine and someone had stuck em on while i was asleep. they looked a different shape actually, very ethiopian!!! huh!??

and i got these shifts of transcient numbness starting in my head and then going down my left arm and my legs.

and i was pulling this weird face too, just a gaping lazy mouth. and i couldn't talk easily at all. as if there was a block between my mouth and my brain. couldn't sit still. on the verge of a panic attack constantly. wanted to SI big time to re-ground myself in my body, shaky, and wanted to trash the flat. if mike hadnt been around i would have really lost the plot.

all in all i thought, this cant be right...

maybe the pharmacy are having a laugh with me yes? see me go in there with mike who dresses in heroine chic, and they thought, yeah, look at them, he's always stoned and she's messy looking, ruining the tone of this establishment, lets get em!

anyways, now i have no prescription meds, but i am taking herbal stuff which seems to be doing something.

also i am seeing pdoc on 20th. may just tell her to stuff it. i feel unwilling to try drugs again i wonder why!!!!

thanks for asking after me babes

lost

xx

Risperal is my very good friend. I take .5 mg. every night, and 150 mg. Wellbutrin twice a day. The Risperal has worked as a mood stabilizer and the Wellbutrin is for depression, and the two together make it possible for me to receive therapy without going off the deep end. It hasn't made me gain any weight, and I have taken it for about two weeks. Dr. said it can take up to 5 weeks to receive the full benefit.

I am right there with you ver!

It has been a life saver for me. It gave me back some of the control I had lost of my own mind.

BUT I did find it very hard to get on. It increased the psychotic episosodes and felt like my whole body was running on speed but emotionaly I was exausted.

Like claire I also felt like parts of my body didnt belong to me.

Now its allmost side effect free though for me :)

Dear Lostsoul,

Sorry to hear about your adverse reactions to the risperidone. Do you think the psychiatrist will suggest a different one of the same group of drugs?

I was on Zyprexa (olanzapine) for about six months last year and I was quite 'out of it' according to my parents. Also I gained 4 stone in weight. The weight gain is a common side effect of olanzapine.

Then I was in hospital in the autumn and they changed the olanzapine and started me on Seroquel (quetiapine). I lost a stone in weight and have been able to concentrate much better (my parents say I'm "more together").

Many side effects of drugs wear off over time as you continue to take them but if you have the abnormal movements side effect you should speak to your doctor as soon as possible and he/she should change your medication or give you procyclidine as well. But you need to talk to your doctor about this.

Bye for now,

K

thanks kraaken...

yeah i am seeing pdoc on the 20th, and will explain what happened.

at the mo, i am pretty reluctant to try anything else. i am going to carry on with the natural remedies, and see how therapy helps.

i just dont think that being on drugs is helpful in the long run - even if psychotrauma left my brain with a faulty homeostatic level of chemicals. cos really, i would have to be on them forever in this case. i dunno. maybe i know nothing. this is just the road i am on right now. it may change.

Lost, I am glad you have taken the road that leads to less drugs... I would like to be like that eventually... I mean, we cant mask the BPD forever, can we. I really think Therapy and self-realisation are the key to breaking though all this. I am sorry you had such a bad time with the meds. I find that talking to my GP is a much better way of getting info on what drugs are used for and their side-effects etc., and why they have been prescribed. Wish you all the luck and good vibes I can....

Love always :sm.jpg:

Ginny :wub:

Lady,

I really cant see you being put straight onto something like an anti psychotic unless everything else fails.

Its a major tranc for a start and as far as I know from your words you dont have any issues with any kind of psychotic symptoms?

At a guess they will try an anti depressant or a mild benzo or you could ask about buspar. That is non addictive you take it at regular times and has limited side effects.

Archived