Mental Health Forums

A Home...

DanDown123

Hey have good news: got a council flat in a great area, after much stress

Background is....

My mum got a 2 bed council flat when she was a mature student. She bought a place in March 05, I applied to take over the tenancy. They said that I would have to take a smaller place. It took a while...I have complained to a Councillor. I have been served with an eviction notice (but it turned out they weren't evicting me, they just forgot to mention it). I have complained to the Local Government Ombudsman (and won)

By Sept 06, they actually completed the paperwork.

In Nov, I bid for a great place. Got the letter to see the place on a Tuesday eve, but appointment was for Tues morning. Went ballastic, but to no avail.

Two weeks later, another place I want comes up..........all going well till at last minute some bitch or bastard relegates me to having 2nd choice. Appeal. Think have won*. Then am told have lost appeal. Then see property, am told I have first refusal. I say yes.

Sorry, the story is banal. It's just that w/o adding all the shit that's it's taken to finally sort this out, no-one could appreciate the sheer relief that this is. Also add into the mix that I have moved house at least 15-20 times in the last 15 years, and us bpds like their stability, you will see why I am having more than a good day.

I haven't lived anywhere permanent or secure since, mmmmmm, July 2001 i think. Now at the age of 35, I can have one central storage space called home where I can keep my stuff :)

Place is tiny, but it's in a great location and Scooby can probably get out and play with all the local rats in the area :lol:

A contented Danny xx

* The same day i posted my "jinx thread" lol, was too scared to tell you, then freaked cos by Fri it had all gone pair-shaped, thus proving the jinx...

PS Hope makes some kinda sense??!!?

glad after all the drama its worked out Dan...Smaller places are easier to maintain..This is the smallest place we've lived but the best as we now manage it

when do you get to move?

So when is the house warming party then? When do you move into your new flat?

Ginger

Ginger and Spliffy - Josh is Senior Events Organiser, I only do lists, so ask him :P

Won't know till Monday when I move, have pencilled in 14 December. Never done a grown up move, normally I can do it in a car, this time have to get a removal compnay as have furniture, cooker, fridge, freezer............phew

This weekend am planning to do a major throw out of junk, I am a right hoarder, but lets face it, I really am not gonna wear those clothes I have been carrying around for 8 years and have never worn.......let alone the books I haven't read since 8 lol.

Dxx

Maybe you could have a car boot sale. Get rid of those flares and platform shoes seeing as youre well old :P

So Josh does all the parties then. I wonder if he will organise my 40th or even my graduation from University if I pass.

So you might be in your new flat by christmas then thats good.

Ginger

Good luck from me too with your move. i know we don't know each other yet, but i can certainly appreciate how big a move is, especially when things are more of a challenge inside. Best of Luck to you!!

Great news Dan...really chuffed for you and the little hairy one! You'll have to change your location now, at least delete the shit-hole part:)

Best wishes!xxxx

You'll have to change your location now, at least delete the shit-hole part:)

Best wishes!xxxx

:lol:

Yay, I can say I live in Shoreditch, not that anyone outside of London will have heard of it!

Tho, am still at the mercy of Hackney Council, but at least my local Housing Office has taken the recent innovation of opening on Saturdays once a month........I nearly fell off my chair, the great council of Hackney attempting to provide a helpful service, am sure pigs will soon evolve and learn how to fly.

Dxx

Today and yesterday...

• have given charity shop two heavy bags of books, sorted two bin bags of clothes for them and chucked out 5 bin bags of general rubbish and tat, including my bpdworld keyring lol...also found 3 new t shirts i'd forgotten about, and a red laser thing that Scooby can play with.
  • Found all my old school reports that I thought I left in a house in Leyton, discovered that Scoobs can get on the top of my 6 foot bookcase and that my first cats ashes have disappeared....am either going mad, or Scoobs has knocked them off bookcase and cleaner has hoovered them up :wacko:
  • It transpires that somehow I have managed to carry around about 20 pics of Jason Donovan that I have had since circa 1991/2; 100s of meaningless Xmas cards; and Nail Polish remover that I confess that I have knowingly carried around, but not used for about 15 years.
  • decided that keeping a broken telephone, freeview receiver, great lampshade from Turkey and mini-disc player isn't really worth it as they really aren't going to magically come back to life
  • chucked away books that I have said since about 8, and haven't read since then, but kept all my Grange Hill and Dr Who - as you can go too far :lol:
  • lots of random pieces of paper, eg old sick notes and JSA books.....I know i was sick / on the dole then, why keep the crap that proved it???
It feels kinda nice, but also like I am losing part of my self somehow...threw away all stuff that had big memories, and kept small random things that I would never remember. I don't need crop tops from 1995 to know that I wore them, it's a big happy memory...........on the other hand the fact that I found a newspaper cutting of the word "fat" made me laugh cos I have no idea why i have it or somehow have held onto it, but it reminded me of carefree uni days when i suspect that I would have used it in a letter i was planning to send.

Ooh, and I am defrosting the freezer, and may throw away some pans, have about 20 and I don't even cook……..

De-cluttered Dxx

Hi Dandown123,

I am happy that you have sorted things out,it is suprising how many things you will come across that you have not seen for ages, moving house can be very enjoyable but also very stressfull.

It is very nice of you to give some things to charity.

I used to love Grange Hill myself, im not a fan of Dr Who,

So you are now defrosting the freezer, You have done really well

Good luck in your new home

Oh Danny Boy,

fab news, really chuffed for you. Looks like me, Spliffy and Ginger first on the list for the housewarming then!

Wont it be great when Scooby sets his first paw in the great outdoors? Wish I could see his excitement; you could get him a little harness for first couple of excursions...If nothing else it'll be funny to see him outraged at the indignity!

But you need a new project now; theres going to be a big hole where the war with Hackney Borough Council used to be!

All the best for the move

rebeccaborderline

:) Thats great news,hope youreally enjoy having your own space.....as far as grown up moving goes,if you start wandering around homebase fantasising about the perfect kitchen/shelves/sofa......then you are officially VERY sad!! ( can only say this as have veen known to have the odd relapse myself at the sight of a sale brochure for b&q.....) xxx

Rebecca - he won't have to face the indignity of a harness, will be on first floor, so i am gonna attach a rope to the nearest tree, lol, he'll have to be like that squirrel in the old ad with the Mission Impossible music. Just thought of a pun, this happens rarely, so gotta say: he'll have to be an acrocat to get out....groan. I know I need a new project, so will scrub and paint and ehm, well that's about it really, but should keep me going for a month or two and hopefully help me stay off the booze a little bit more, esp as will prob end up with no phone for about a month....

Celtic, have been thumbing thru the Argos catalogue since I was about 13, dreaming of great kettles and matching toasters, lol, you would never have thought that I would turn out to be gay, would ya?

Dxx

you are in good company Dan....i am the least house proud lesbian i know!! ( mind you,dress sense pretty dodgy too....i need a gay makeover...) xx

Archived