Mental Health Forums

Panic Attacks

LadyMacbeth

I wanted to know if anyone who suffers from panic attacks can relate to me. I started having them almost five years ago obsessing over my health. I thought I had cancer because I kept getting these headaches which I guess turned out to be stress. Because I kept obsessing over this irrational thought I was going to die I gave myself a panic attack in the mall. It was horrible! My eyes start to cloud over, I feel dizzy, my heart starts to palpitate, I start to tremble and I feel lke I have to run. I did not really see a therapist for them at that point and they seemed to have gone away however when I started college a few years later I started to see a therapist for depression and the attacks came back. Fortunately she was able to help me through them without the use of medication.

The panic attacks actually did go away for awhile but because I have this intense fear of change and I was about to graduate from college I started to get really depressed especially after people started to leave my life. I started to see another therapist where I developed early symptoms of BPD characteristics especially after I sabotaged my graduation because of my fear of change. My therapist changed my life for the better but unfortunately because she is a school therapist I had to find one outside of school through my insurance.

About a month ago I had my first panic attack after two years. It occurred after an incidence of rejection from a relationship with a guy. I had one at work and it brought back the same intense fears and now I am having constant anxiety attacks in fear of having another panic attck. I have attempted to discuss this with my new therapist however she is so set on medication. She does not understand that I am terrified of medication and the thought of taking it because of the side effects brings upon more anxiety. She became angry with me because I told her I was scared of it. Now I am afraid to leave the house because I am so scared I may have another one. I know I am stressed out for obvious reasons such as change as I am about to be done with college and I need a new job. I had to stop working at the place I was because the anxiety of having another PA became to intense. I am so upset because I just want to live a normal life! I have been trying to control the BPD and depression and now I am stuck with having panic attacks I mean does it ever end?

Does anyone relate or have any tips.

Thanks,

Baila

((((Baila))))

Sorry you are having a rough time. I used to have panic attacks. I take meds though. The side effects at first are a pain to get through, but for me were the answer. Not only to the panic attacks but for helping me with all the rest. I take 4 different types. Sounds like alot to you, but they all serve their own purpose.

I am not a pill pusher, if you are sure you don't want to try it, then have you looked up natural remedies online? Acupunture maybe?

Good luck!!

Thanks for your response. I just actually started to use Valerian. I only started to take it yesterday but I researched the herb before I started to take it. I found out about it by taking this herb tea with Valerian and it actually relaxed me and helped me sleep better. I do hope it works but I think it takes awhile. I read that is supposed to work like Lithium. I am a little hesitant just because if this was a "miracle drug" I would assume that more psychiatrists and therapists would be recommending herbal medication as opposed to prescription drugs. I think it actually has helped my heart palpitations but I have not really been out of the house in two days except to go to the store. But, I am sure it takes more than two days to feel the affect. But, does precription drugs help stop thinking or fearing having a panic attacks because that what usually sets them off?

Thanks,

Baila

((((Baila))))

Sorry you are having a rough time. I used to have panic attacks. I take meds though. The side effects at first are a pain to get through, but for me were the answer. Not only to the panic attacks but for helping me with all the rest. I take 4 different types. Sounds like alot to you, but they all serve their own purpose.

I am not a pill pusher, if you are sure you don't want to try it, then have you looked up natural remedies online? Acupunture maybe?

Good luck!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

suffer panic attacks about 3/4 times a week. my dr gave me some ARGENT NIT 30c homoeopathic tablets. they take the edge off the attack but you need to remember to take them when you feel an attack coming on.

panic/anxiety attacks are not nice and very frightening.

the only other thing i could recomend in aromatherapy as having cetain oils on your hankie helps as when you feel an attack coming on inhale the smell of the oils to help you relax.

Traceyxxx

suffer panic attacks about 3/4 times a week. my dr gave me some ARGENT NIT 30c homoeopathic tablets. they take the edge off the attack but you need to remember to take them when you feel an attack coming on.

panic/anxiety attacks are not nice and very frightening.

the only other thing i could recomend in aromatherapy as having cetain oils on your hankie helps as when you feel an attack coming on inhale the smell of the oils to help you relax.

Traceyxxx

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

what homeopathic tablets are you taking? You are not on medication?

I am really not sure what they are. I am in the USA and I know the drugs are different from British drugs. I have read about Zoloft because I was prescribed that like two years ago and I never took it. I was diagnosed with mild depression by a pychiatrist. My therapists describe me as BPD. But after reading that one of the side effects is sucidal tendencies that freaked me out because I am not sucidal. But, maybe they have those homeopathic tablets here I am not sure. I am not sure if you heard of Xanax? You are supposed to take them when you are having a PA but they are highly addictive. I am not sure I am so confused. I know myself and I know if I am taking something like that I will build myself up into having a PA with the thought the side effects. I am such a hypochondriac!

Baila

the homoeopathic tablets are the ARGENT NIT 30c

I'm also on zispin if this is any help to you?

Traceyxxx

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

sorry i haven't heard about xanax

i was diagnosed withPTSD and depression

ask your therapist about the argent nit! you might be able to get it!

i can't promise it will work for you but it does for me!

especially grateful for it today!!!

and no your not a hypochondriac!!

your just depressed and looking for a way to get better and lesson the pa's

Traceyxxx

I hate the word change its like the scariest word in the English dictionary! I will be done with uni in less than a week. I am not sure about my future so I guess thats why I am freaking out. I just need to take the bull by the horns and get on with it. Apply for jobs, look into grad schools, and figure out how to accept and deal with change.

I have given speeches infront of hundreds of people, I have taken so many flights, and lived in a foreign country alone. I have never had a PA in any of those situations. But, I can be walking in the Mall or at work I have one. I am not sure why they are not unsafe places. I had a therapist who told me and I have also heard it other places that you should just allow yourself to have a PA and just feel the symptoms and go about your daily buisness. The weird part is I used to do that. It came to a point in which I would start having one but I would not allow it to take over and I would tell myself "I am not going to die I am having a panic attack and it will eventually go away." And they actually did. I need to tell myself the same thing now so I can live my life.

Baila

sorry i haven't heard about xanax

i was diagnosed withPTSD and depression

ask your therapist about the argent nit! you might be able to get it!

i can't promise it will work for you but it does for me!

especially grateful for it today!!!

and no your not a hypochondriac!!

your just depressed and looking for a way to get better and lesson the pa's

Traceyxxx

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

((((((((Baila))))))))

I recently started to have panic attacks to an extent that it was really disrupting my life. (By the way, I'm lorna and I live i London and I'm 34!)

I had been taking Valerian for some time, but it got to a point where it just wasn't quite strong enough for me.

I am in regular therapy and my therapist and I agreed that meds would actually help me. So I went to the doc, and am now on Exexor.(venlafaxine) an antdepressant that is also prescribed for anxiety and panics.

I used to be like you, all natural medicine.. So in certain respects it was a sign of my desperation that I went to the doc. But also it was, I firmly believe, an acceptance of the truth and a sign of my self care.

Yes, I had side effects, but I had educated myself and they were manageable. Scary at times, yes, but I knew my doctor and therapist could support me.

I know that change is a toughie, and I empathise with you. Starting in a new therapy group (which, on my course I have to do each year!) is what freaks ME out big time....

I hope that you find what you need.

lorna

Thank you for your reponse Lorna. Did Valerian work for you at all? If it did how did it help you? I just started taking it three days ago and the first day after a few hours I felt less tense and sleepy. Yesterday I think it stopped the heart palpitations. I think that if the heart palpitations stopped then I would not have one because the heart palpitations trigger the rest of the symptoms. I am in sheer desperation to feel normal. I have been able to control the BPD characteristics and the depression without meds because I am extremely aware of my actions and the root of my behaviors in regards to rejection and abandonment. I am going to make an appt. with the pscyhiatrist. Maybe I need to see a therapist who also specializes in anxiety. I recently started to see a new one. This will be my third one in four years and not because I did not clique with them the last two I did very much and trusted them completely but unfortunately because I am out of college I had to change therapists again. It stinks because once you are getting somewhere with that person it CHANGES!!!!!

Baila baila

((((((((Baila))))))))

I recently started to have panic attacks to an extent that it was really disrupting my life. (By the way, I'm lorna and I live i London and I'm 34!)

I had been taking Valerian for some time, but it got to a point where it just wasn't quite strong enough for me.

I am in regular therapy and my therapist and I agreed that meds would actually help me. So I went to the doc, and am now on Exexor.(venlafaxine) an antdepressant that is also prescribed for anxiety and panics.

I used to be like you, all natural medicine.. So in certain respects it was a sign of my desperation that I went to the doc. But also it was, I firmly believe, an acceptance of the truth and a sign of my self care.

Yes, I had side effects, but I had educated myself and they were manageable. Scary at times, yes, but I knew my doctor and therapist could support me.

I know that change is a toughie, and I empathise with you. Starting in a new therapy group (which, on my course I have to do each year!) is what freaks ME out big time....

I hope that you find what you need.

lorna

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Baila,

I originally took valerian to help me sleep. I came off a week of Zopiclone and I still needed the help. It took me a while to accept that I also suffered from anxiety.....(well, I couldn't sleep, right..) Guess why??? Yep, new group therapist.... (I am in individual therapy too).

Recently, I took valerian to help with anxiety and panic. There are many sites that speak of it as good for panic attacks. That and Kava Kava, which I have never taken.

I did find out however that valerian is also a depressant, so to be careful because of that. I think one reason it didn't help me so much recenly is because I am depressed, and it just depressed me deeper? I don't know for sure. Maybe it depends on brain chemistry and the cause of the anxiety? At its best, it has made me feel relaxed, warm and safe and secure.

So, if it works for you, great....See how it goes, discuss it with your doc/psych/therapist, maybe talk it over with a herbalist?

I took it as a tincture, have never tried the tea!!!!!

I understand how you feel....

lorna

I went out to Wall Mart this evening. For those of you who do know what it is Wall Mart owns ASDA and its bigger than ASDA. I probably would have had an anxiety attack especially with all those people but my body would not reach that level of fear that brings upon a PA. Touch wood, I think its the Valerian because although I kept thinking about having one something was blocking those symptoms like heart palpitations. Does regular medication do that? Yay! I really hope it works and its only been three days. I went into a heath store today and they sell OTC Lithium. I asked if it was the same as the Prescription Lithium and it was but in smaller doses. I am not sure if I want to try that without asking a professional though. I think the Valerian is making me a little drowsy but I would rather suffer with that if I am able to lead a normal life. But, I actually do feel calmer which is great because I do not want to have a drink to knock out the anxiety. I am going to keep my fingers crossed on this.

Thanks Lorna for your advice on this stuff.

Baila

Hi Baila,

I originally took valerian to help me sleep. I came off a week of Zopiclone and I still needed the help. It took me a while to accept that I also suffered from anxiety.....(well, I couldn't sleep, right..) Guess why??? Yep, new group therapist.... (I am in individual therapy too).

Recently, I took valerian to help with anxiety and panic. There are many sites that speak of it as good for panic attacks. That and Kava Kava, which I have never taken.

I did find out however that valerian is also a depressant, so to be careful because of that. I think one reason it didn't help me so much recenly is because I am depressed, and it just depressed me deeper? I don't know for sure. Maybe it depends on brain chemistry and the cause of the anxiety? At its best, it has made me feel relaxed, warm and safe and secure.

So, if it works for you, great....See how it goes, discuss it with your doc/psych/therapist, maybe talk it over with a herbalist?

I took it as a tincture, have never tried the tea!!!!!

I understand how you feel....

lorna

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I feel sleepy but thats better than feeling anxious!!

Hey Baila, I'm glad that the valerian is doing its stuff....

lorna

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Archived