Mental Health Forums

Wow - I Got In.

Daisy

This is really really good news for me.

Over the past 11weeks I had been doing MINDFULLNESS the very first Module as part of DBT (Dialectic Behavioural Therapy) - Im sure most people know its hard to get into DBT and it is the most looked at treatment for BPD that has great results.

Well ive HAD GREAT results with module 1 - mindfullness .

It was 11weeks and thier was a 6mnth waiting list to get into that part of the course and i am so glad i did it.

Thier is 12mnths left of the course, the major 3 modules and thier isa 12-18mnth waiting list for this. I had resided to the fact that id have to wait 12mnths and with the results from mindfullness I was ok with that, with support from Dr's and Therapists i think i could do it, so the Psyc nad I agreeded it be best for me if I had my name down for the 12mnths and TRIED to finish the course as it would REALLY benift me and work towards a longer recovery from BPD and controlling my BPD.

So.....I Put name down. See Dr every week.

Well TODAY in the MAIL i got a Letter saying that I have been accepted to attend the PROGRAM 12months EARLY and will start Jan 27th 2005 - 12mnths before i was originally told. My psyc says its a great great thing and I really need it at the moment.

I am excited about it cause I know that the DBT can really really help and if its anything like midnfullness (as i know it is) then i know that i can really learn a lot from it and i really want to do this, i know that i do want to get better, i want the self harm thoughts, the instability the other traits of bpd to lessen, maybe go away i want them to go down, i want to be better.

I rang the hospital today to tell them that I would do it nad the psychologist was happy that i had agreed to it and said its a good thing.

IM hoping getting in early is a good thing, they always said that people who get in have to be commited, have to show they they want help and have to show how they want to be better and also commit to dr's and therpists and taking meds and things, LOTS and LOTS of commitment.....my brain also turns and tells me that maybe they put me in early to get rid of me and cuase im bad or something, but then i get told from another part of my mind that its not that, thats just bpd talking and that maybe i do have commitment, maybe i can do this.

either way im going to complete the DBT course by the end of next year and REALLY REALLY TRY to TAKE CONTROL of my life and let the dbt do its work as it has been with module 1 already.

Just wanted to share that I GO IN - its a big deal for me and no waiting lists anymore and ONLY place in my state that does DBT.

yay! Happy for today - spec about this.

Katy

Congratulations! :)

It is so hard living with this junk, that anything that happens more quickly than you expect it to is fantastic news.

It sounds as though you have a really supportive doctor who has a lot of confidence in your ability to succeed at the treatment, which is so helpful. I'm really pleased for you and hope you'll keep us posted as DBT is really new in the UK - it would be great to hear what it is like to do the therapy.

Well done,

Swan

Darling, this is the first of many wins for you. I really admire your strength and courage (and I'm not being cliche). I know how hard you do it, and you perservere in the most amazing ways. You have a precious gift to bring this planet. You are well on your way. Love, Jacinta

Daisy,

It is always good news when we hear that someone has gotten into any therapy that works, and DBT has sounded promising. It isn't available here in my area yet, but I have been lucky - blessed to hook up with a great group of therapists.

Good luck, and congratulations. I'm sure you'll do well.

Ann

Well done Daisy :D

I too am starting DBT (for the first time!) on January 14th !!!!!! I am scared to death but it is very encouraging to see that you are so excited to be involved in your next module of DBT. I hope it all works as well for me as it seems to have done for you...

Well done, once again.. :)

Ginny :wub:

Wow - thanks for the replies.

I am glad i got in. the first module - Mindfullness was very effective and i just hope that the next 12mnths will be just as good.

thanks for replies.

Katy

Archived