Mental Health Forums

Bpd Or Bipolar?

squirreal

i went to a new doctor and after telling him about my mental history and different dignoses i've had chucked my way, he told me to go away and research manic depression and see if i think i may be bipolar.

But how would i know the difference between bpd and bipolar?

i've been trying to read things from the internet but i cant get a clear picture and i need to go back and see him on wednesday.

im not totally sure but i think one of the biggest, or obvious to you ones is speed at which your mood changes. i think rapid cycling bipolar is more than 4 switches a year and they usually last weeks at a time, at least days. bpd mood shifts are very fast, and can last minutes or hours, sometimes but more rarely days.

i know there is heaps more but its probably one i saw and went ok im not bipolar, my moods are much more superficial and short-lasting than they describe for bipolar.

bipolar switches can be on a daily basis too aylaah, ultra rapid cycling which is what i am.

squirrel, it isnt your job to be trying to work out what is wrong with you, your shrink is nuts. he should be working it out.

easy way to do it is to put you on lithium/epilim ..if the mood swings stop then you ae bipolar, if they dont stop then u r bpd

bipolar switches can be on a daily basis too aylaah, ultra rapid cycling which is what i am.

I dont know what the use is of diagnosing someone with Bipolar disorder really when they already have a diagnoses of borderline personality disorder. Until much more is known about borderline personality disorder i would suggest the rapid mood swings are a part of the condition.

My opinion only.....

Well he isnt my therapist. I moved to a new area so i stopped seeing the people i did at home. I seemed fairly stable so i thought maybe i wouldn't have another problem. But recently have had some major problems.

So i had to start seeing a college councillor who told me to go the a doctor (because i'm having major problems sleeping) and get sleeping pills. But he gave me olanzapine instead after i had to tell him what's been going on. He seemed to pull a funny face when i said about borderline. Maybe that's just me thinking that. Who knows. I dont know what is officially on my records because i have seen so many different people over the years and not been told much at all. Maybe because i'm still young. Who knows. Crazy NHS :wacko:

But since ive been on this olanzapine stuff, i feel a lot better despite being extremely blunt with people and incredibly tired come morning. But i still cant actually get to sleep. Grrrrr!

• 5 weeks later...

I thought drugs had been shown to be quite effctive in hte treatment of bpd so dont see how response to drugs could determine if you were bpd or not.. Isnt hte difference between bpd and bipolar simply that bpd people tend to be unpopular and feel empty and have identity disturbance wheras bipolars dont most of hte time.

Hi

I was always told that someone with bipolar especially 1 will have long lasting mania that could go on for days or weeks. People with bpd sometimes have "hypomania" but its not clinical hypomania in the sense that bipolar 2 is apparently anyway according to what I've been told.

i went to a new doctor and after telling him about my mental history and different dignoses i've had chucked my way, he told me to go away and research manic depression and see if i think i may be bipolar.

But how would i know the difference between bpd and bipolar?

i've been trying to read things from the internet but i cant get a clear picture and i need to go back and see him on wednesday.

I'm bipolar and bpd, bladey is right about lithium only working on bipolar swings.

The difference between my bipolar depression and my bpd depression is that usually when I'm in a bipolar depression there are very few thoughts behind the depression, I just plummet straight down and quite often I'm hardly capable of thinking, I just exist and that's it. Sometimes I have a few thought but not very often. But my bpd depression I have a lot of stuff going on in my head that makes me feel bad about myself and worthless and all that stuff.

The only time I have lot of thoughts going on when I am also very depressed is when I'm having a bipolar mixed episode and there is no mistaking that for anything else because it's the most horrible experience I've ever been through and it's something that scares me more than anything else about my MH problems.

I think the feeling of emptiness is more of a bpd thing than bipolar, like sundries said.

I hope this helps but I really think you need a clear diagnosis from a professional who clearly understands bipolar and bpd.

Badger

• 2 weeks later...

thankyou for the replies. i have an appointment with an actual psychiatrist at the end of feb which is good.

now i have been put on antidepressants for a depressive episode. but it does actually seem much different to normal - feel excessively agitated and cant sleep from fidgeting and having all these thoughts that just wont go away or be shut out. havent managed to go into college for quite a while again, and my next doctors appointment is 3 weeks away. am a bit worried to be honest. ive seemed to create rumours and chaos about me in the place i live through weird behaviour and a very bad relationship (may have something to do with the manic phase) so am feeling a bit cut-off but have been too scared to post here. i think im just getting scared of people again...

I have BP and BPD, I dont respond to Lithium. I am currently on lamotrigine(as a mood stabiliser) and Venlafaxine(for the depression) I just wanted to say that not all people with BP respond well to Lithium or valproate... and there are other options. And there are people I know who are solely on valproate who are BPD and it seems to help them with the mood swings. I think the two are so closely linked it is a horribly imprecise science.

well im not even sure about going on medication. ive been put on prozac now. and i dont know if its having the effect of making me feel awful. but i do feel awful. my brain feels like sludge with an electric current being passed through.

im just really unstrustworthy of psychiatrists and doctors and medication because of what's gone on in the past. although if im feelin

desperately bad then i have no problems then, as i do admit i need something. im just scared of my little squirrel brain getting mushier than it is. (mashed potato consistency). and i definitely think the mania helps my art. hmmm...i dont really know what to think...*hides in her tree*...i'll come out when they invent working brain transplants...for squirrels...

The mood swings of full blown bipolar are more pronounced and severe than BPD, lasting a lot longer.

Mania is the most extreme condition. Extremely hyped up (making many people dosed up on methamphetamine seem slow), very rapid talking and ideas. Often so fast thats its impossible to understand. Full blown disinhibition and grandiose ideas. Full blown psychosis can occur.

Put it this way. I knew this guy. He was on lithium. he was a gentle, sensible guy. Besides when he was ill he had not been in trouble with the law before. Had had a full manic episode. Robbed 3 banks, stabbed a person. COMPLETELY LOST THE PLOT, COMPLETELY. now hes on lithium, and hes fine. He went to gaol for a few years. I dont believe he should have. I believe he was seriously ill and should not be held accountable.

My grandfather had a bipolar episode where he recieved shock therapy. He was running around in public totally naked with a knife, underpants tied around his head he thought he was in the war.

so what is the difference between a bpd psychosis and psychosis occurring in bipolar disorder? is it more reactive in bpd? sorry if that's a stupid question.

Archived