Mental Health Forums

Anti Convulsants With Anti Depressants

Martin

I am a bit of a thicket, so I'd really like to know your opinions on why these work together?

I am on cipralex(ad), as well as tegretol(ac).

I have also been abusing phenobarb (anti-convulsant) recently.

Tegretol, in the first few weeks that I took it, was a wonderful drug (My GP prescribed it as a mood-stabiliser)

But now, I feel my body is getting used to it, (I have been abusing anything I can get my hands on since I was 15, now I am 33 and have a dispensing Mum, who keeps me taking what I should, at the right time... (oh yes I do feel "under mummy's thumb!")

Anyway, what I see it as is as it depresses the nervous system, thus in epiletics, stopping the mad random elecrtical pulses that send the brain into scatty mode, and in us nutters (no offence meant), depressing our own bits so we do not have such dodgy thoughts, therefore "monging" us to the point that we dont think too much....

The point of this post is to know, if anyone is on ac's what they feel they do, In all honesty, I feel I am being robbed of my feelings..

Martin

i used to be on tegratol retard and phenobarbitone,phenytoin etc now im on lamotrogine and keppra

lamotrogine i think is the latest drug being tested as a mood stabiliser but it has had no effect on me

all ive found is that they make no diference other than help with the seizures and tend to make me a bit forgetful and more tired than most people.but when mixed with anti depressants my gp believes that contributed towards me becoming more depressed and suicidal.(the 2 dont go together as she put it)

i also abuse the keppra as my gp slipped up with the repeat presripts and i have quite a large surplus. but other than as a form of selfharm making me woozy and helping me sleep they make no difference whatsoever.

im sorry i cant help you but my personal experience is that as a mood stabiliser anti-convulsants have not helped in anyway as ive been taking anti-convulsants for about 26 yrs now for epilepsy long before the ''bpd'' reared its ugly head!

No experience of anti-convulsants Martin, but felt "monged" (as you so beautifully put it!) on an old fashioned anti-psychotic, Depixol when I had it by depot, although took me a long time to realise. I have since read reports on the web which describe Depixol and Clopixol as notoriously suppressing and containing, partic in depot form.

I stopped it a year ago against some opposition and although its been v hard, will still refuse to go on it ever again. I ended up doing nothing for 18 months other than watch Jeremy Kyle....had no interest in food, music, books, other people; no motivation or pleasure in anything hardly.

Is this how you feel?

rebeccaborderline

PS id also note that your drugs dont seem wildly succesful as youve had rough time recently.....or would you expect that anyway?

I really dunno, i dunno why I opened this post for, I wish I was as brain dead as I sounded....

In fact wish i had more, but there ya go......

Martin

Archived