Mental Health Forums

A New Furry Member Of The Family

badger

Hello guys,

As some of you know I had to say goodbye to by beloved little Mr Monkey Pie Face, Bungis whingis, ma boy, monkey spung chumpling, mr hairy trouser pants, tiny weenie baby genghis, or just Genghis as he was more commonly known. I'm still very sad about losing him and he will always have a special place in my heart. We are going to put some photos of him up on the walls at home so we can still see him every day.

So we now have a new addition to the family. Last night we went to see some Norwegian Forest cats at a breeder nearby and although we had wanted a 6-8 week old kitten we couldn't resist a cute little 5 1/2 month old little fella that was trying to chew Mike's coat. He had so much character and seemed to be a bit naughty so I thought "he's the guy for me!". His parents and grandparents were all show champions and stuff like that, his dad was the european champion a couple of years ago. But that will mean bugger all in our house cos he'll just be a moggy and he won't have to do all that prancing about malarkey, if he wants to roll around in the dirt then he can.

We haven't really decided on a name yet, his pedigree name is Lestat Artemisa but we want a normal name for him. We first of all thought of Erik as in Erik the Viking, but then we said that would just be a provisional name so he became Provisional Erik, and then Mike shortened it to PE which also means plastic explosive, so then he became Semtex. Erik is still in the lead but we are open to any suggestions. We fancied a kind of viking sounding name that wasn't too twatty. Also Erik goes well with Ethel, Erik and Ethel.

He's still quite frightened by his new surroundings and when he met Ethel they both ran off in opposite directions so at least they aren't going to fight! This morning we left him all snuggled up in a cosy duvet nest that we made for him.

I think Genghis would approve of him. He'll never replace my lovely monkey boy, I still cry when I think of him and I probably will for a very long time. But I am feeling a bit guilty about getting the new lad, I feel like I'm pushing Genghis out, like he can be replaced and I don't need to think about him anymore. I know that's silly and we all have to move on. Also I think if I hadn't got the new guy I might have started to get a bit depressed about losing Genghis. While I'm still crying I'm just grieving but after that when I really realise he's gone I think my mood could have really dropped. Am I just trying to justify this to myself because I'm feeling guilty. I'm not actually as happy about the new guy as I should be, it feels a bit tainted because I still feel cheated because Genghis should still be here not him. I'm sure I'll feel better as time goes on.

Here's some pics of the new addition to the badger family and some of his dad as well.

Badger

7 days old

3 months old

3 months old

His dad (one day he'll be that big too!)

Dad

Dad

I like Semtex, is cool name! (although maybe not the smartest thing to be shouting out the back door at tea-time....)

Dont feel guilty for getting new puddy; youre not pushing Genghis out, youre just making room for a new love in those big ol' BPD hearts we have. Genghis wont be forgotten. And if you didnt take Provisional Erik some peeps who didnt care so much might have. And anyway, I feel sorry for Ethel, im sure once they settle down she'll really appreciate having company again, poor girl.

Keep the cat tails coming Badger!

rebeccaborderline

Genghis 4ever

Yeah, it's a bit sad for Ethel. She's lost her brother and now there's a stranger in the house. We've been giving her lots of attention since Genghis died and lots of nice treats and things like that, and she always sleeps in between me and Mike at night anyway so she feels quite loved but just a bit sad and confused right now. She has definitely been missing him, they used to sleep together all the time and wash each other. Hopefully her and PE will be happy together. We are going to try and make sure that neither of them feels left out and that they both feel equally loved.

You're right about someone else taking PE, he'll have a very nice life with us. Quite often Mike or I will say "when I die I want to come back as one of our cats".

Genghis4ever!!

Badger

Wonderful pictures Badger....I like the name Erik too. My first cat was called Basil...he was quite a good character cat, but, I had a further 3 furry friends who failed to have the charisma of the first on.

Actually, I want him...couldn't you send him down to Brum? :P

I hope Erik and Ethel get on like a house of fire, I am sure it will not take long for them to settle.

I cant believe the hairs coming out of your new kitties ears, has he not heard of tweezers? I think he looks like one of the naughty gremlins. Well cute with a definate alter bad side.

Makes me want a cat now.

Ginger

i love Norwegian Forest cats! They are non-allergenic too aren't they. I was going to get one a while ago as my daughter and hubby are 'lergic

i hope he brings you endless joy

Thats fantastic news Badger....you will never forget Genghis,but PE is being safely watched over by him(and probably being taught a few of his naughty tricks on the quiet...!) He really is beautiful....more pics please! xx

Thats fantastic news Badger....you will never forget Genghis,but PE is being safely watched over by him(and probably being taught a few of his naughty tricks on the quiet...!) He really is beautiful....more pics please! xx

sooooooooooo cute!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't have any new pics yet, sorry.

We have decided that we are sticking with Erik, we tried to think of loads of different names but Erik is the only one that seems to fit. So he's actually called Erik the Viking or Flat Erik like in the Levi ads, because when we first got him he kept going really flat whenever we went towards him. He's also called Skoggy because in Norway they are called Skogkatts, and Mike has been calling him Skroggy as well. No doubt he'll have a few more names before the weekend is out.

He had a check up and second rabies jab at the vets yesterday, all the staff were cooing over him and one of the nurses groomed him just because she wanted to play with him. I thought they were going to kidnap him at one point and I was going to end up going home with a diabetic yorkshire terrier called flopsie or something.

He's still quite quiet but he's getting better each day and this morning we played the duvet game (we move about in the bed and he jumps on us and tries to bite us through the duvet) an essential part of a kitten's upbringing. We ordered a really big scratching post yesterday as well, it's about 5 feet tall and has lots of shelves. We have already got two posts but we think they deserved a new one for while we are at work. and it's fun buying things for our new kitty.

Blade - yeah I think their fur is hypo-allergenic. Also his coat is fully waterproof and apparentely it's a bit of a bugger trying to bath them cos you can't get them wet!

I'll post some pics when I get some, it's been so gloomy most of the time that I'd need to use the flash and I don't really want to startle the little fella.

Badger - Proud kitty parent

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Badger,

Erik is gorgeous!

Ghengis knows that he hasn't been replaced, his girl(s) just needed to have kitty company and he'll love you for that. Are you familiar with the poem/story the rainbow bridge? It's beautiful and makes me cry for all my gone fuzzbutts.

I don't know what I'd do with my Molly, she's a beagle, basset cross and very very cute! She's certainly kept me alive over the last 17 months.

Ruth

x

Archived