Mental Health Forums

Reboxetine

CyberGenesis

I once tried this medication, which is a antidepressant which effects noradrenalin levels in the brain...

I am around 42 kilos over my recommended weight.

When I went onto it I almost immediately lost my appetite. Its like nothing i have ever experienced...

I was on it for 7 weeks and lost 18 kilos. And I can honestly say i was never hungry. The smallest amount of food would feel me up.

The problem was it made me *really* aggitated and overly emotional.. In fact I felt like i was going to crack and had all these thoughts about killing people and myself..

I recognised that the medication was almost certainly effecting my mind so i basically stayed away from everyone. Because to me the weight loss was so important- i tried to hack the fact i felt absolutely *awful* 100% of the time.

I reduced the dose.. Still felt bad...

I went off it.. Appetite went 100% back to normal within 24-48 hours.. Went back on it.. It reduced appetite again completely.. I did this 3-4 times but just could not stand the feelings anymore, plus people were observing that i was acting very psyched up towards everything.

Its such a shame.. If I could have kept on that medication i am sure I could have lost 100% all of my weight (lol I mean my excess weight). :)

I would *love* to hear anyone elses story about this medication. Especially if they have "borderline personality disorder" are obese and tend to binge eat.

edronax yes one of the trade names.

Well if you have BPD, binge eat, and are over weight then perhaps you might get lucky and it might have a simular effect (but warning it could also perhaps have the effect of making you feel AWFUL).

Be careful this antidepressant is sort of stimulating, and can definately cause major problems sleeping (might be good for those who oversleep). I wouldn't consider this medication quite as safe as some medications like Prozac, Zoloft etc.

I guess it wouldn't hurt to suggest it to a doctor as a possible antidepressant to consider trying.

Of course who knows why it killed my appetite. It doesnt mean it will work on anyone else, even if they seem very simular.

• 4 months later...

I am going to try this one. I need to lose the weight I gained on Prozac.

I've been on nothing for six months out of fear of what Prozac did.

I am prepared to tolerate all side effects to be a skinny b# again.

I've had trouble in Australia with ignorant GP's and psychiatrists who don't believe SSRIs make you fat.

I prefer dead to fat myself.

i am on this med, 4mg twice a day in addition to escitalopram, risperidone and diazapam.

i am losing weight, my sleep isn't too good, but i am feeling a bit better i think, still early days. my anxiety is probably worse.

i am obese and used to binge eat a lot. i now eat a helluva lot less and others have noticed i'm losing weight, so it's not all in my head LOL.

My anxiety is getting worse on Edronax too but I use it to express my anger/feelings and then I'm ok. I couldn't express myself before.

I'm overweight (20 kg), occasionally binge eat (much less than when I was younger). Tried Edronax briefly..highest dose was 8mg I think. Was also coming off 300mg Efexor at the same time. I'm not sure if the symptoms I had were Edronax or Efexor discontinuation (probably both), but whatever it was, was nightmarish. Extreme anger, extremely suicidal, unable to stop crying for days, unable to sleep, eat, work, concentrate. Bit wary of trying it again after that...may not be as extreme without efexor discontinuation adding to the activation of edronax.

Sw

I found this link - from the good drug guide ...http://www.reboxetine.com

"....Reboxetine (Edronax) is a relatively well-tolerated, relatively selective "noradrenergic" agent. Crudely, whereas serotonin plays a vital role in anxiety and mood, noradrenaline is essential to maintaining drive, self-assertiveness and the capacity for reward. There's a fair bit of evidence that chronically depressive people have dysfunctional and atypical noradrenergic systems - particularly their alpha 2- and beta-adrenoceptors. Reboxetine itself typically doesn't have the disruptive effects on cognitive function or psychomotor performance common to older, tricyclic clinical mood-brighteners - though alas antimuscarinic effects are still not completely absent. Indeed for one sub-population of depressives, the new NorAdrenaline Reuptake Inhibitors (NARIs) are possibly under-used. Unfortunately, catecholaminergic strategies to combat depression were eclipsed in the late 1980s and 1990s by the marketing hype surrounding selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs).

Reciprocal interactions between the different monoamine systems make it hard to target one neurotransmitter system without triggering a cascade of effects on the others. But NARIs - and "dopaminergics" like amineptine (Survector) - may be especially useful in drive-deficient "anergic" states where the capacity for sustained motivation is lacking; in the treatment of "retarded" depression; and for melancholic depressives with a poor ability to cope with stress. Anxious depressives, on the other hand, may do better on Servier's neuroprotective and anxiolytic antidepressant tianeptine (Stablon), though comparative clinical trials are lacking.

Reboxetine may be safely combined with an SSRI, though there is evidence that NARIs themselves indirectly enhance central serotonin function by a mechanism that doesn't depend on reuptake inhibition. More surprisingly perhaps, preliminary studies suggest reboxetine can actually reverse tranylcypromine-induced hypertensive crises. The "cheese effect" is usually triggered by ingesting tyramine-rich foods. Thus NARIs plus MAOIs may prove a potent form of combination-therapy if other options fail. Newly-licensed (2006) EMSAM, the transdermal selegiline patch, is probably the safest choice of MAOI.

Reboxetine may also be used off-label to treat low back pain and fibromyalgia.

By early 2007, reboxetine was licensed worldwide in over 60 countries. In May 2001, however, the FDA declined Pharmacia's license application for the North American market. The grounds for the decision have not been officially disclosed... "

I switched my ad's from cipramil to cymbalta (duoloxtine) earlier this year for the one reason that having done research i found this had a major side effect of appetite loss which when you consider that the c's along with anti psy's encuoraged me to gain nearly 4-5stone excess weight, ive been delighted. first coupla months weight just went without even realising but then with anything tends to stabilise. my current problem is that this new one doesnt quite tick all the boxes for me with regard to what it should actually be doing so was trying to research another alternative, and what happens, you guys go and give me a new direction - oh gee thanks, saved me a job!

Im quite lucky with my gp/mh team cos they seem to trust me in regard to what i think i need cos they know i try and research every last detail before committing to any change in my meds routine and as long as i supply them with backup info i can pretty much self prescribe, well thats how it feels to me anyhows heha!

Are any of you that are on it, on it in the uk? tc x

ps

Anyone else with any research links that wants to save my time n energy ALWAYS greatly received. my t reckons i'll end up writing a monumental (size wise) book with all my papers but im just one of those people that needs to know absolutely everything about anything before making a decision and even then it doesnt always leave the starting block. x

Loulou, I'm so pleased you have such a constructive relationship with your professionals, and in the UK too!

Also pleased for you that you have the skill to follow through the information coherently.

I had the enquiring mind before I lost interest in everything. But I've always lacked good information organising skills. So I can never present a case for something.

Definition of Lability

Lability: The state or quality of being labile: susceptible to change, error or instability. From the Latin labilis meaning prone to slip, from labi meaning to slip

I lkie this definition, it fits somehow x

Archived