Mental Health Forums

Introduction

Viv

Perhaps I'm the only one who doesn't have BPD, but I've become associated with a young man who has all the signs. I want to know how to help him. He is a friend of my son's and moved into his home to stay "a few months, until getting a job." Now, it is time for him to move and he threatens to ruin my son's business reputation if he can't have his way. My son brought him up several weekends to our cabin and introduced him to us ,the family. Now this BPD individual thinks he is being torn from his new friends and environment if he moves out permanently. How do we gently help him become a person on his own?

I think that lots of reassurance is in hand. Reassurance that you will still be friends, that you arent chucking him out of the house because ya dont like him anymore but because he needs to go, its time. When he moved in, did you give him a time limit? If you did, remind him of that. Boundaries are good for BPDs, we need them.

I hope I have helped

Wabbit

Thanks, wabbit, for your reply. Yes, he was told he had a "few" months. He was looking for a job but we found quickly that he wasn't really looking for one. When he blithely broke a favorite bowl of my son's because he resents my son's neatness about his apt, my son asked him to leave. He did move out but constantly calls and demands attention. My son brought him again to our cabin for the weekend, intending to discuss a separation of social activities with the family, but the Young Man became angry, blamed family members for pressuring him to move. Now his anger vasicilates with a happy mood. He says he's copied my son's address book and will call all his clients and bad mouth him. We feel his fragility may lead to something serious. He has not been diagnosed with BPD, I've only found his behavior right in line with the characteristics. He feels we are abandoning him, that our country home is his, our friends are his too. He is in early 20's and our family is 40 up. No friends of ours will ask us to dinner if YM is visiting. Does this clarify the situation we're in?

Archived