Mental Health Forums

"doctor Shopping?"

rented_angel

I just thought I'd mention that I really enjoy this site and am glad to have stumbled across it. Everyone seems so friendly and willing to listen and offer advice...it's a great thing. :D

This is kind of a random question with a bit of a back story. I have been active in treatment on and off for about 5 years now. I had the same therapist and psychiatrist for the first 3 or so. Last November my psychiatrist left the clinic I go to...so I switched. Right away they did a med wash and I've been on a ummm..variety of medications since. Right now I'm only taking Lamictal, which is a mood stabilizer. I quit taking it on my own about 3 weeks ago....I had been trying to tell my psychiatrist for about the last 3 months that I hated how it made me so numb and uncaring...but it didn't seem as if he cared. So to make my rambling a little shorter here....I made an appointment to see a different psychiatrist on the 14th of this month. I'm a little worried that everyone is going to think I'm "doctor shopping." But, I just don't want to keep seeing someone I don't feel is listening to a word I say. But, what I was wondering...does anyone know if the new doc. I'll be seeing will have all of my information and know about me already before I get there...or do you think I have to be prepared to try to fill him in on everything in the 45 minute appointment? I just am getting a little bit nervous about it...I'm not very good at talking with people I don't know one on one like that...especially not about myself and my 'problems.' Do you think it would be a good idea to figure out what I should say and talk about before I go or just wait and see what happens when I'm there. I think my last psychiatrist has made me a little nervous about all of this...or I'm just being a bit obsessive with my worrying, which I admit happens more often than not. :huh:

Sorry this is so long....I hope it makes a bit of sense...it's late...that's my excuse! :)

elizabeth

sry hun i dont know how usa deals with medical records.

i would tell him whats been going on and why you are there, he may understand where your coming from. so i would tell all and maybe he will ask you to fill out forms and he will make his own diagnoses or what ever.

sry if this doesnt make sense. its morning for me.

keep us informed how you get on ok? hope it goes well for you.

Hiya

I'm not too sure of the U.S system either but if its anything like the UK he probably will have your records yes. He won't have time to read everything though and may only pick out bits and pieces in your records to read that he feels are relevent. Its a good idea to make notes before you go and write everything down. Give it to him to read and then he can ask you questions if needed on what you have written. At least that way you know you're not going to leave anything out. Let us know how it goes.

Thanks for the advice guys. I just got back from an appointment with my therapist a bit ago. His suggestion was to write everything down too....keep things short, but write it down so there would be a starting point to discuss things and so I wouldn't forget anything. Hopefully this will work. :) I'm still more than a little nervous about meeting someone new, but at least this way I will have some sort of a plan. :)

Thanks again....Hope you're having a good Wednesday.

elizabeth

Archived