Mental Health Forums

Paradox Effect Of Diazepam?

Elke.

Hi,

I am taking Diazepam for anxiety. Sometimes I take a few more when I feel it is getting stronger, but what happens then, is that instead of the anxiety getting less, it gets even worse.

Has anyone experienced that too much Diazepam has paradox effect? (Could ask my psychiatrist on Monday, but am interested if others have had this experience.)

Thanks,

Elke

Hi,

I am taking Diazepam for anxiety. Sometimes I take a few more when I feel it is getting stronger, but what happens then, is that instead of the anxiety getting less, it gets even worse.

Has anyone experienced that too much Diazepam has paradox effect? (Could ask my psychiatrist on Monday, but am interested if others have had this experience.)

Thanks,

Elke

hi elke.. sorry i dont experience anxiety if i take too much but i am so used to it i have to take 20 mg just to feel a slight relaxing effect. but i do get anxiety when i dont take it.. sorry i cant be more helpful. i guess everyones reaction to meds is individual, hugs ivy xx

thankfully my psychiatrist wouldnt dream of prescribing diazepam for me for my anxiety,or for that matter for anyone with bpd, due to its highly addictive qualities-

there are so many modern anti-psychotics on the market which are non addcitive-which dont give these horrible side effects

I´ve tried out all kinds of anti-psychotics - with terrible side effects! But the psychiatrist who started t me on Diazepam acted unresponsible (don´t know if that is the right word) and I didn´t know how fast you get addicted to that stuff. But that is off topic.

Elke

• 2 months later...

I take diazepam when I am in crisis..for me its the only thing that works to calm me down long enough for other things to kick in. The only side effect I have found is memory loss/amnesia..which is disturbing but survivable. I havnt felt that paradox with diaz but have with other meds..it can feel really confusing...I hope it settles for you soon.

blue

Hi, Elke, I haven't personally had that experience with diazepam (that is the same thing as Valium, right?? I get all these names confused! :rolleyes: ) but I'm sure that almost anything can happen with meds!!

But believe it or not, that did once happen with my cat Malkin (now sadly deceased :( ). Our vet had rx'd some Valium for him (in a tiny dose of course) to calm him during a long drive--instead, poor baby, he went completely out of his head and even starting biting my dad and me when we tried to calm him down!! It's clear my poor Malkin didn't know what he was doing--I don't think he even recognized us :huh: --at least until the Valium wore off!

We told our vet about this (we were freaking out!) and she said that while that's unusual--Valium (diazepam) usually calms cats as it does people, except of course in much much smaller doses--that paradoxical effects can happen. As it did with my poor kitty--thankfully it did him no lasting damage but we definitely never used Valium on him again!!

Drugs can be just plain weird!!

But having said that--I liked the effects of Valium. My present doctor won't prescribe it *sigh* he will only give me Klonopin. Which helps, but not as much as the Valium did.

But it's true these meds can be addicting--I think tho that as long as we (and our pdocs) are vigilant, we don't need to worry--the key thing if you're going off a med--esp. a long-term one--is to taper off slowly.

I'm sorry this happened with you!! Maybe you could try another benzo that wouldn't have that kind of effect on you???

Good luck--I know sometimes my anxiety is overwhelming and no matter what the doctors say, I need something to take the edge off!

Hugs,

Patti

Hi,

Thanks,

Elke

Hi Elke, if in doubt... do a google search! According to my research you need to notify a doctor.

Paine.

Common Side Effects:

Check with your doctor if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome:

Clumsiness or unsteadiness; dizziness or lightheadedness; drowsiness; slurred speech

Less Common or Rare Side Effects:

Check with your doctor if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome:

Abdominal or stomach cramps or pain; blurred vision or other changes in vision; changes in sexual desire or ability; constipation; diarrhea; dryness of mouth or increased thirst; false sense of well-being; headache; increased bronchial secretions or watering of mouth; muscle spasm; nausea or vomiting; problems with urination; trembling or shaking; unusual tiredness or weakness

Always Notify Doctor:

Less Common: Anxiety; confusion (may be more common in the elderly); fast, pounding, or irregular heartbeat; lack of memory of events taking place after benzodiazepine is taken (may be more common with triazolam); mental depression

Rare: Abnormal thinking, including disorientation, delusions (holding false beliefs that cannot be changed by facts), or loss of sense of reality; agitation; behavior changes, including aggressive behavior, bizarre behavior, decreased inhibition, or outbursts of anger; convulsions (seizures); hallucinations (seeing, hearing, or feeling things that are not there); hypotension (low blood pressure); muscle weakness; skin rash or itching; sore throat, fever, and chills; trouble in sleeping; ulcers or sores in mouth or throat (continuing); uncontrolled movements of body, including the eyes; unusual bleeding or bruising; unusual excitement, nervousness, or irritability; unusual tiredness or weakness (severe); yellow eyes or skin

Withdrawal Side Effects - Notify Doctor:

More common: Irritability; nervousness; trouble in sleeping

Less common: Abdominal or stomach cramps; confusion; fast or pounding heartbeat; increased sense of hearing; increased sensitivity to touch and pain; increased sweating; loss of sense of reality; mental depression; muscle cramps; nausea or vomiting; sensitivity of eyes to light; tingling, burning, or prickly sensations; trembling or shaking

Rare: Confusion as to time, place, or person; convulsions (seizures); feelings of suspicion or distrust; hallucinations (seeing, hearing, or feeling things that are not there)

Overdose Effects - Notify Doctor:

Confusion (continuing); convulsions (seizures); drowsiness (severe) or coma; shakiness; slow heartbeat; slow reflexes; slurred speech (continuing); staggering; troubled breathing; weakness (severe)

For patients having diazepam injected: Check with your doctor if there is redness, swelling, or pain at the place of injection.

Other side effects not listed above may also occur in some patients. If you notice any other effects, check with your doctor.

I had severe drowsiness and staggering. I'm ok now though.

paine.

As Paine already stated, one of the side affects of diazepam can be believe it or not - anxiety! You're unlucky and you have that as a side affect. Tell psych and try something else.

Sorry all, I just wrote a lengthy answer, klicked the smilies and it was all gone!!!!!!! Grrrrrrr!

Too tired and agitated (diazepam???) to re-write again. Time to complain about technical problems.

Elke xx

• 4 weeks later...

Elke I have that disappearing problem when I do fast reply. Pain.

No, it wasn´t fast, but s- l - o - w. Best is to write something lengthy on paper first, as a draft, and then send it.

Elke

Oh..........

Paine,

I never thanked you for all the information you gave me on this - and am catching up on it today by letting you know how thankful I am!

tc

Elke

Elke,

I havnt had this paradoxical effect with Diazepam but I have with Lorazepam, a sister drug (also a benodiazepine) used for rapid-acting relief from stress-related didorders. It makes me highly excitable and much more likely to S/H, this was observed over a long period in hospital and I am now no longer allowed to have it prescribed. This disinhibiting effect of benzodiazepines is well known for some people and they should be avoided once its noted.

Diazepam/Lorazepam are also highly addictive, I hope you're no longer on it since you wrote this post, if you are you should go immediately back to your doctor. I was addicted (was on Loraz. 3 months in hosp); when they realised their mistake they withdrew it overnight and for 4 days the withdrawal effects were awful. I was not warned about them and thought I had a brain injury, I behaved very oddly and felt v unwell.

TC

rebeccaborderline

."....and for 4 days the withdrawal effects were awful." Just one statement about that. I detoxed on this once before. Alone. I "landed" in a clinic one time for alcohol/drug dependancy and decided I would use this chance to detox. Who knows.....maybe they were just trying to scare me, or maybe they told the truth (i didn´t stay long enough), they said all the people that come here to detox from diazepam need about three months, and it is much, much harder than the de-poisoning from alcohol.

That scared me. (Vulnerable) It was almost like I was telling myself "Oh God. This is going to be unbearable. This is going to be excrutiationg!" And even the med´s said "You can´t do this alone...You must be under observation."

Just a long story here, not making much sense.

But no, I am not off them yet. The other day my therapist pointed the pistol at me and said "You have to get off the Diazepam or else, no more therapy." BUT. I countered and said "Well........what about my anxiety??????????

Get off Diazepam, the anxiety comes back. What do you do then?????

Elke

Effervescence,

Poor kitty. But I am also familiar with that effect ..........it´s called "crankiness".

What a world.........

Elke

• 4 weeks later...

Elke, have you tried a minute fragment of risperidone?

It might not be right for you but it is OK for some autistic people like my friends who gave me the idea to ask for it.

The smallest tablet is 0.5 mg, it snaps in half to give 0.25 then I slice that into thirds or quarters with one of those pill slicing gadgets so do your arithmetic, it has lots of 0s in it after the decimal point.

I used to take a fragment every two days now it is every day if I remember.

The pharmacist has requested the doctor prescribe the amount taken rather than assume I am taking 0.5 mg.

I call it my perspective drug which enables me to take in a greater depth of information about issues, which means I feel more in control of my responses to situations and therefore less anxious.

(But I have ceased to feel the benefit since I have been taking 10 mg clomipramine as often as I can - about every three days on average)

Am trotting this story out from memory - one of the fragments of it that I have still got

Miko,

Maybe I should have PM´d you instead......

But, you have got some NERVE writing me after all that has gone on between us and all the things you wrote about me on this site!

We need a Pow-Wow.

Since you are the main reason I have not been online here for so long, I am really cooking that you just write like nothing has happened!

Elke

I was prescribed Diazepam i was going to give in and take it until i read a article online

benzo's

Diazepam is listed on there and what i read about it is not good.

On one of the links there is a article how it ruined this guys life there are also founds about it too and its not just limited to Diazepam.

• 1 month later...

Archived