Mental Health Forums

Get Me Out Of Here!

lille_eskimit

Get Me Out of Here: My Recovery from Borderline Personality Disorder

Would anyone recommend this book? I've read some excerpts from it, and discovered that a lot the situations described apply to my life, but the writer's recovery seems to have been motivated by religion...Christianity, to be precise. I have more secular inclinations, so was wondering if this book would be of any help at all...I can overlook the whole religion thing if it is merely a coping mechanism which could be replaced by anything else based on an equivalent principle.

Someone else mentioned getting Walking on Eggshells for David, but I've read some negative reviews about it, suggesting that the book puts ideas into the reader's head by explaining ways in which he/she can leave someone suffering from BPD, and that it "stigmatises, dramatises, discriminates and demonises people 'with' borderline....it reinforces medical stereotypes, the 'junk' diagnosis, and the image of 'BPs' (as it calls them) as dangerous, labile and unsuitable as parents or human beings"...It's all well and good to be honest, but that seems counter-productive to me!!! :o

Has anyone who's read either of them got any opinions about this? Or knows of any other books worth recommending? :unsure:

I don't know about the books you mentioned. My therapist recommended "I Hate You Don't Leave Me" for my husband so he would understand me more. We have the book, but he hasn't read it yet.

Wish I could be more helpful.

Delicate,

Before I was diagnosed I read "I Hate you but don't Leave me" thats how I diagnosed myself before I realized my therapist diagnosed me with that.

Its pretty insightful

I know you personally found the book I Hate you but don't Leave me helpful, but looking from a non-BPs point of view, do you think David would find it useful? It's not going to give him a bleak picture, and advise him to keep all Borderlines at arm's length, is it?

He's read Prozac Nation and, because of the nature of the topic, found that very hard-going...There were just bits he couldn't relate to (even though he has suffered and recovered from Clinical Depression in the past). But if he thinks it will benefit us, he'll read almost any book.

I think so because it has a whole chapter on how to cope with a loved one who has BPD. There are many life stories and analysis of each story plus how to speak to a person with BPD without seeming defensive and also how to improve the relationship. The book is only about $7.00 dollars I am guessing its around five pounds. It was really interesting. I would try it.

Baila

Archived