Mental Health Forums

The Pill

Vicky

This might sound like a dumb question, but I'm about to go on the pill for the first time and have heard that it can affect your moods. I'm not very stable at the moment anyway and am a bit worried. If anyone has been on the pill, could you please let me know if it has affected your moods?

Thankyou,

Victoria

Be careful and talk to your doctor bc I have a lot of friends who went on the pill and became really depressed they had to switch pill. I am not on the pill bc of that reason but some of my friends who do not suffer from depression or mental disorder started getting really depressed on certain kinds. My sister included. Talk to the doctor and let her know your background with depression.

Some birth control pills can cause depression, so you must be honest with your doctor. That way it can help your doc find one that will be best for you. Another thing to think about is if you are on meds for depression or if you are thinking of taking them, they can decrease the pills effectiveness. I have an IUD, have you thought about that instead? If you aren't intrested in an IUD, then just be sure to talk openly with your doctor, they will help you find the right pill for you.

Good luck

Amy

I have been on the pill for sometime...both my Doc and my Psych know about it - it has not changed my mood in anyway other than I am used to (bleh!) so I imagine it can be quite safe. I am on Levlen ED (sorry - it will probably be another brand name where you are) Hope this helps..

Ginny :)

i'm on orthotricylen low (a low dose of hormones but it works just as well) and it doesn't affect my mood. it did make my breasts bigger though, which is always a plus.. q=

sorry you couldn't face the doctors today!

there is other ways of protection other than the pill

as delicate said there's always IUD but if you decide you couldn't face having it inserted then there is always condoms! variaty of textures, colours and even tastes!!!

I used to take the 12 weekly depo. injection which i found very good with little side effects! it ment you didn't have to worry about whether you had remembered to take your pill! not so good if like me and have a phobia with needles! (one of the reasons why i came off it! plus wanting a family!!)

hope this was somewhat helpfull

take care

Traceyxxx

it did make my breasts bigger though, which is always a plus.. q=

Oooher...That's always a plus...LOL

I've never been on the pill, and never want to...I know it's just a case of trial and error, but to be honest, I prefer the coil...Makes things a lot simpler...

Archived