Mental Health Forums

Compulsive Lying

flora

For most of my life I've been a compulsive liar, making up stories to gain people's attention. I've tried so hard not to do it. a lie just pops into my head and i dwell on it for days, trying to stop it from coming out but i hardly ever succeed. Sometimes i don't even know that the story i'm telling isn't true. I have destroyed several relationships and my career through this, as it sometimes becomes obvious i'm making things up. I'm so ashamed of myself. I feel i have no real relationships because they are all based on lies about myself.

I just wanted to know if anybody else ever does/has done this? Has anybody managed to conquer it? If so, how? Is this part of BPD?

Any advice would be appreciated, flora xox

Flora - I dont know how old you are but this is something I did as young teenager with BPD. I am not sure why and it is something I got over somewhere in my twenties..

Now - I am honest to the maximum degree and detest dishonety and lies - some change huh? This is something you need to talk about with your T as it will bring lots of pain and anguish to your life - believe me - I DO know......

Take care hun - and get some help...

Ginny ;)

I have to say lying is one thing I have not done. In fact, if I do anything that is wrong, like a few years ago, when I went out and had sex with a perfect stranger I met on the internet because I was upset with my husband for abandoning me to go hunting every year, I feel so much guilt that I have to confess.

Dianna

I cannot give you any advice on my own personal past about lying because I am an honest person. But, I give you credit for coming to terms with your problem and seeking help. Thats the first step! I highly suggest if you are not seeing a therapist I feel that its in your best interest to start talking to one because you obviously need a guide to help you get through this. Maybe look into support groups that focus on addictive behaviors. Honestly and trust are the foundation of good relationships but you also have to be honest with yourself. Take one step at a time you can overcome it!!!!!

Lady Mac

Archived