Mental Health Forums

Dbt

Richie

Hi, I've been trying very hard to find out as much information about DBT as I can. I understand it is a Hiracial system, that help develop skills to cope with the bad times, However I can't find a web site that actually states what these skills are. If anyone knows please let me know.

The only referance I can find that might tell me is a book by Marsha Linehan that I cann't afford. (It seems terable that the only way to find out these skills is to buy them. I know she has been brillient in pionering the DBT but is it right to make money out of peoples pain and suffering?)

Please Help.

I understand how this feels and i am sorry for you, i am looking into an interview with someone that does dbt that maybe on the site within a few months and also some work sheets but please bare with me. I have also wrote to marsha but as yet no reply, anyway welcome to the site i hope you find it helpful. If you have any questions please email or pm me.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I've been trying very hard to find out as much information about DBT as I can. I understand it is a Hiracial system, that help develop skills to cope with the bad times, However I can't find a web site that actually states what these skills are. If anyone knows please let me know.

The only referance I can find that might tell me is a book by Marsha Linehan that I cann't afford. (It seems terable that the only way to find out these skills is to buy them. I know she has been brillient in pionering the DBT but is it right to make money out of peoples pain and suffering?)

Please Help.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm doing Dialectical Behaviour Therapy with my regular therapist. I had a look at a book by Marsha Linehan but it's hoo-wah expensive and it looked like a handbook aimed at therapists, so I didn't buy it.

If you go to Google and search the phrase there are a few sites there that might help you get a better idea of what-all it is.

One thing that my therapist said I should do is order Laura Paxton's book Borderline and Beyond, and the accompanying workbook. It's going to take a few weeks to come in - which is good, because that means I'll get some time to save up for it. (Disability income where i live does not keep one in caviar!)

I get the feeling that individual DBT stuff is tailored to the individual, so I don't know what all i'm learning that will help you. I'm doing the work in conjunction with a therapist--and from all appearances, you must do it that way. But she does give me some things that might be useful, if you'd like to know about them.

I have both books and I do find that Laura Paxtons is the better for the lay person and both are quite abit alike. Both entail lots of work and charting and changing your behaviors by replacing old non productive behaviors with more socially acceptable behaviors that help you to stay in reality and not go back to your old ways of opperating. I find it quite difficult (as changing any behavior is difficult) and it isn't accomplished quickly. In fact I may turn to dust before I have accomplished it! I am still trying tho. I guess the overall thrust of the books is getting out of the old black and white viewpoints of your past and achieving balance and the middle ground.

Guess I don't need to look for work as a book reviewer! LOL

Good Luck!

Bets

Archived