Mental Health Forums

American Members

LadyMacbeth

Hi American members,

We are on a UK site and living in America. If you look online you cannot find an American site. Not that I would rather go to a different site but we have no one to call when we are feeling like we are going to hurt ourselves. I have been looking online for support groups for BPD or psychologists who treat people with BPD can't seem to locate it. We don't have insurance we are completely fucked. There are no conferences or places we can call or go for help. Its like we are being ignored. What are we supposed to do? Does anyone feel this way living over here? Another reason why I am angry for moving here!

Have to say there is absolutely nothing for bpd here in N.Ire,you do hear a little about impulsiveness and self injury but without sites like these Id be lost.During my many stays at local psych hospital I did notice that most of the patients I knew probaly fitted the bill for bpd but were told they just were impulsive,my current psychiatrist only started discusssing bpd with me after I suggested that I thought I filled the criteria,I get the feeling although maybe Im getting the wrong feeling that she didnt want to mention the condition because it does get a lot of negative press.

Who though when it is not supposed to be as bad as bi-polar and schitzophernia. Why are people so afraid of it.

LM...

There is support in america... i told you several things in another post and their is a crisis line in almost every city. There may or may not be a site that is american... but in cyberland what difference does that make? Marsha Lindham.. the founder of dbt is from (i think) Seattle and so one of the leaders of inovative thinking for bpd is american.

As to why therapist dont want to tread bpd.. i think it has to do with the emotional draining that ppl with bpd put them thru... the constant needyness, the constant emptyness, and the fact that this can go on for years with no real change.

just my thoughts

bets

Lack of knowledge and experience with working with folks with bpd most comman reson why C have difficulty. Clinicans often lack direction and clinical supervision to make a real difference. Marsha Linehan took the concepts for DBT from the teachings of Buddhism. Not all C are trained in DBT. As time passes DBT is growing more popular within the clinical world.

I guess you are right Betsy...I have been reading something about how therapists do not like to treat people with BPD. So when I start seeing a therapist again I am afraid that if I tell them I have already been diagnosed with BPD they will turn me away. I am also starting to think that my current therapist is getting frustrated with me and I can tell by her tone of voice. I also did not add to things yesterday by missing my appt. and not calling her back. It makes me think that maybe I have done that to all my therapists and I am upset about it because its not me I care about them and their feelings and I would never intetionally manipulate them or upset them. But, maybe I have been to dependent on them. I still contact my former therapist and maybe she thinks that I am too needy but she does not want to hurt me by telling me that because I have major abandonment issues. Now I don't think I want to see a therapist at all because they will know I have BPD and will immediately dislike me. I feel like a horrible person! I feel so bad and guilty. I put them in difficult situations because I have no one else to reach out to and then I shut them out. Maybe they do hate me and just pretend to like me because its their job. I read that therapists dread their appts. with their patients. Maybe mine felt that way to. It all makes sense now. I can't do that to another one!

Btw Lorna134,

I looked up that site you gave me and I could never leave this site and you guys so I think maybe I will just look up general information there and post here because I feel comfortable here.

L M

LM,

You are more perceptive than to think that all therapists don't like you. I know that. You can tell when you connect with a therapist and when you don't. Many therapist treat ppl with bpd and I know you can find one if you try. Don't give up on looking.

My post wasnt meant to discourage you from seeking a therapist since I really feel you need to. Please check out some of the avenues that I told you for getting help at a reduced rate.

bets

I did connect with my former therapist and by no means before I started to think about it did I think that she disliked me. She was very patient and supportive of me. But, I feel like maybe I took advantage of her in a way.

well. texas, my lovely lovely state, is FORTY NINTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! in mental health spending in the united states. not that the US is that great in terms of handling mental illness anyway. cough george bush cough. goody. that means no good mental hospitals, no good help lines, no good public mental systems, no *nothing*. so, yes, i know how you feel.

Thankyou for understanding Monoxide! I live in NY...30 minutes away from Manhattan. You would think that NY would be filled with places you could seek help. Yes we have hospitals but not many places for the mentally challenged...lol. I looked around for hours for a therapist around my area that specialized in BPD but could not find one. This is a huge state! I looked around in Manhattan and I found some hospitals but we all know Manhattan is very expensive esp. w/o insurance. There are not many places that will treat you w/o insurances. Like I said before if you don't have a full-time job, if you are not rich, not on your parents insurance, too old, you can't get insurance and your pretty much fucked. I looked online for the proice of Zoloft and it costs $240 w/o insurance. Who has that kind of money!

Lady Mac

Archived