Mental Health Forums

Venlafaxine

sunshine_bear

hey

I have had my medication changed to venaflaxine 75mg and my doctors going to up to 150mg in about 3 weeks.

Has anyone been on this medication if so any side effects I should know about. And how did it work for you?

sunshinex

The only problem I ever had with that was if i was drinking. Now I know you shouldn't drink on meds anyway, but since its quite a rare thing (drinking) for me & I've been on & off meds forever, I tend to forget about that.

But with venlafaxine I would have to be very careful - one or two drinks only. It seems to really speed up the effects of alcohol & multiply them for me.

Other than that..never had a single issue!

Hope it works out for you

xCx

I'm on 225mg at present, and I find that there are no side effects so long as I keep taking them. Even missing one dose (12 hours after should have taken them) and I get withdrawal symptoms which are NOT pleasant!!

I was on lithium/venlafaxine combo, then just venlafaxine 300mg, but didnt really do that much for me if I remember rightly; possibly because I was drinking. No side effects (Im not prone to them anyway) but sudden withdrawal effects are horrid

rebeccaborderline

I used to on that and didn't like it. It made me worse and my head went really funny if I missed a dose. Coming off it was horrible. (I was on 225mg by the way).

I've heard some peopel say it really helped them, so it's worth trying.

It has a helpful sedative effect, that has helped with urges to sh. Like somebody else has said though, if you forget to take it for one day, YOU WILL FEEL LIKE DEATH!!! So beware.........

• 2 weeks later...

I was also on venlafaxine and it did nothing for me until i had lithium added. I will echo madeline, mandy and dpb DO NOT miss a dose it is the worst i have ever felt. (you'll find a few threads here somewhere about the specifics).

I hope that it helps you.

Oh my lord i agree! DONT miss any!!

Im on 375mg and 1250mg lithium

Not feeling so well over past 3 weeks so not sure if its right for me.

How r u doing on it now?

Karina xx

hey

im doing shit. Its not touching me at all. I havn even had side effects yet.

so not touched me at all.

sunshinex

well, I've just asked for it again as I had it previously and as far as I can remember it worked then. Have been on sertraline 200mg for the last two months and all I wanted to do was self harm! the venlafaxine seems already to be kicking in after 12 days and I have no recall of suffering last time I came off it - again though - horses for courses I guess!

hey

thanks for the input.

Just been upped to 150mg daily to see if it helps.

sunshinex

sometimes lowish doses are said to help

often people seem (as in this thread) to need a much higher level

I suspect if it isn't good at this level you have another 3 or 4 dose adjustments yet....

tc

Z

Yup, I'm on it.

Great med for me! Wonderful stuff!

I was on max of 375mgs but coz I got amitriptyline added due to help with nerve pain, psych reduced the venlafaxine to 300mgs so I don't get "poisoned" in his words. He assured me I wouldn't notice any difference in the reduction. Thankfully I didn't.

Yup, although I do still get depressive episodes, I find it is a good med.

hmmm, hopefully it will do the same for me. I have heard its a great med for severe depresion so cross fingers it will kick in soon.

The only thing I hve found is after a few drinks Im hammered and end up been sick.

grr lol

sunshinex

i have been on this med on and off for the past 5 years along with others and personally speaking i will NEVER take venlafaxine again. i have even filled an advance directive to stop any doctors from giving it to me in the future.

why??

I think Iv started with a side effects, Im so nausous especially in the evenings and usually end up been sick, has anyone else had this side effect?

If so what did they do to releave it?

sunshinex

i was feeling sick for the first few days, i felt like shit for a week and a half too, but know im feeling ok. drinking is a bit dodgey had 5-6 pints on friday night and i felt like i had had about 15, i was wasted, it wasnt like i was falling over just a bit monged out, so i doubt im going to drink that much again!!

Archived