Mental Health Forums

Venlafaxine

sunshine_bear

No drinking is bad when your on that. I had 2 glasses of wine and 6 cans last night cos it was a family bbq and I was plastered. Very annoying, but a cheap night out lol.

I just wish this nausea and sickness would go away.

has any one missed a dose?? i missed mine yesterday, and took one this morning and i feel rearlly shitty and tired and i slept for about 18 hours last night!!

The main problem I'm having so far is that I feel really really tired and a bit diorienntated , but it seems to be kicking in abit - still down, weepy and in a muddle but was able to have friends round for dinner last night and enjoy myself!

i just feel sick. :(

Hi there, yes I felt quite sick to start with, but that's gone now. Of all the ad's I've had in the past, this is the only one that's seemed to have worked, so am hoping for the best this time!

sarah

I was on venlafaxine for few yrs. Think it wasn't the drug for me. Don't think i'll take it again. I either spent most of my time stairing at the wall, not knowing where or when i was. Or i drank horrendus amounts of alcohol!!! I used to drink about 10 pints a day. Now i'm not on them i can barly drink 5. Not sure how that worked.I used to get cravings for alcohol. Eventualy they stopped working for me. I also lost my sex drive.

As mentioned earlier DON'T stop taking them. When i did i was really ill for days.

Hopefully they will work for you.

Arron

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I was on 300mg and completely lost my sex drive too. I think loss of sex drive is more caused by the depression than the medication though. I was taken of Effexor when it became apparent that venlafaxine was increasing my suicidal ideation resulting in me taking a massive overdose with over 150 capsules. It was not pretty!

• 4 weeks later...

I was on the stuff for about 4 months- was on 150mg when i was admitted into hospital. It was ok side effects wise but i didn't notice any good effects either. Infact i spent three of those months being very self destructive alcohol, drugs and sex wise- when i then went on lithium to try and stop the mania the venlafaxine didn't really work as an anti-depressant and i took a large overdose after a couple of hugely suicidal weeks.

I may give it a go again now that i have left my TC and have been very low again, but think it would be more helpful for me to have it combined with a mood stabiliser (not lithium though) and an anti-psych. Shall see what my consultant has to say tomorrow :)

xx

• 5 weeks later...

I have had loss of self-consciousness, overaletrness and sedation by turns, loss of memory.

But then I have been prescribed an overdose for the last three weeks.

It's back to the psychiaytrist now to ask for a reduction. the cat is out of the bag as I have researched and it does come in lower doses!

Archived