Mental Health Forums

Replacing One Addiction For A Fresh One

Lauren

Ive found that valium (diazepam) if I just take 6 to 8mgs a night takes away most of the anxiety from not drinking.

So far im a week sober. But on the nights I dont take valium my anxiety is sky high and im fully in bpdland.

But im concerned as I have a long history with addiction going back to my early teenage years.

In order its been...

weed

smoking

E/speed

coke

pink champagne (crack.heroin mix NOT injected thank god)

Alcohol

With not so bad ones that I can live with chucked in such as caffine etc.

So now im replacing alcohol with valium as needed. I dont take it unless I know I will drink if I dont.

I realise that im doing this consiously with a little medical help on the way.

But I am very concerned that I will now become hooked on valium instead.

Thoughts?

(im now of to research addictive personalitys, ill share if I find anything worthwhile)

I think a whole bunch of us here are becoming quite the junior psychologists and pharmacologists here. With all the researching we do we you be granted honorary PhDs...at least Master's Degrees.

I have an addictve personality to thats why I am reluctant to take Prescrip pills. I have never done drugs but with the nicotine, alcohol, and cafeine I can relate. Wow...hust received two e-mails while writing this post...anyway mind off track again.

You may want to try the Valerian. I imed you before while I was having an anxiety attack. Its not addictive and it relieves anxiety. I took two capsules and I feel calm, relaxed and safe. I have found it to calm my obsessive thoughts as well. If you have never taken it they have a lot of sites on it.

Love,

LM

Yup addiction is my middle name-food,getting a buzz out of starving,then speed now sleeping tablets,cant really get hooked on them as I only get a weeks supply at a time due to too many overdoses,have consumed half a bottle of wine,temted to take my 140 mg of temazepam and sleep my shitty mood of,this isnt suicide talk,think ive got soooo used to the stuff i could take it like sweeties,hold on while i stamp saddo on my forehead.

Yes - sadly, I too have an addictive personality. Weed, Alcohol, Cigarettes. And my prescription drugs I take in the amounts I want - like the Temazepam, Valium etc...

I have also discovered that if I take enough codeine - recently prescribed to reduce pain where I had a spinal fusion, can produce a lovely calming effect when you take more than you're supposed to..... However, can only get those four days at a time so have to be without in the afternoon cos I take em all in the morning.... Jeez - I really am pathetic huh ?????

Ginny :mellow:

You are very aware of the fact you have an addiction. Now that you have admitted you have a problem, now's the time to do something about it. Take action.......healthy action. Drinking alcohol is really no differnt than taking valium. Both are depressants and both are just as dangerous as the other. Your replacing one with the other.

Like I had said, your aware that you have a problem. Nows the time to change your need to self medicate. If your interested in obtaining resources lemmi' know and I can either share or send something.

Wisdom

The easy part is being aware of the problem,the scary thing is deciding to take action,being afraid of failing or just swapping one addiction for another,not being able to live in the world without something that blurs the edges and makes it bearable to stay conscious.

Right, once we realize and admit we have a problem............we then have to be willing to change what we can.

(+++++), Grant me the SERENITY to accept the things I cannot change, COURAGE to change the things I can, and the WISDOM to know the difference". 12 step anon, CODA

Wisdom

Archived