Mental Health Forums

The Language Of Recovery

Ginny

After my last bout in hospital, my Mother sent me a book that I received with thanks but couldnt read at the time - it is called The Language of Recovery.. I have been reading some of it over the last couple of days and would like to share some of its wisdom in the quotes and passages it contains... Hope nobody minds if I post something new occasionally... it is a wonderful book and makes a lot of sense. Here is the first thing I will post...

Healing is peeling away the barriers of fear that keep us unaware of our true nature of love, peace, and rich interconnection with the web of life. Healing is the redicovery of who we are and who we have always been..

- Joan Borysenko

Ginny

Another one...

Healing is natural. It's not magical; it's not mystical. It doesn't require some esoteric intervention. It's your birthright, and mine. Everybody has the capacity for healing. We do it with each other all the time and we don't even know it.

Healing is the very ground of being. Everything is moving toward wholeness. And that's all healing is, that movement. Our task is not to make something happen but to uncover what is already happening in us and in others. and to recognise and foster those conditions that nurture it. That's all.

We can do that with ritual or prayer, or with many different approaches and techniques. We can simply sit and be together and think about our true nature. No one technique is inherently any better than another. It's simply a matter of learning to trust the natural healing process in all of us and moving freely with it..

- Rachel Naomi Remen

And another....

Healing is releasing from the past. It is retraining my mind so as not to see the of the past on anyone. It is learning not to make interpretations of people's behaviour or motives. It is letting go of the desire to want to change another person. It is letting go of expectations, assumptions, and the desire to control or manipulate another person.

Healing is knowing that forgiveness is the key to happiness and me offering that I want. Healing is knowing that the only reality in the universe is love, and that love is the most important healer known to the world.

To heal is to trust in a creative force that is loving and forgiving, and to know in our hearts thats there is no separation and we are joined in love with whatever we know as God and each other. It means that all hearts and minds are joined as one...

Healing is letting go of the fearful child so many of us carry inside, and awakening to the innocent child who has always been within us....

- Gerald Jampolsky

Hi there Ginny

I've just popped over from the other side...... hope that's ok.

The book which you are quoting from sounds good. Are there any more details you can give me re publisher, price maybe, author? sounds like my kind of book. Good for dipping in and out of.

The quotes you wrote out were profound, positive and helpful. Praps i'll have to hop across more often........

Keep posting them!

Liz

Hi liz - pop over whenever you like honey :)

The book is called The Language of Recovery and is published by Blue Mountain Arts. It is a collection of insights from authors and writers of other books. My mother got it for me in Uk so it must be available to buy there... Hope you are from UK - otherwise I am sure you might find it on-line. Thanks for the encouragement - I want to keep posting...

Ginny :wub:

After a while you learn

the subtle difference between holding a hand and chaining a soul

and you learn

that love doesn't mean leaning

and company doesn't always mean security.

And you begin to learn

that kisses aren't contracts and presents aren't promises

and you begin to accept your defeats with your head up and your eyes ahead

with the grace of a woman, not the grief of a child

and you learn

to build all your roads on today because tomorrow's ground is

too uncertain for plans

and futures have a way of falling down in mid-flight.

After a while you learn

that even sunshine burns if you get too much

so you plant your own garden and decorate your own soul

instead of waiting for someone to bring you flowers.

And you learn that you really can endure

you really are strong

you really do have worth

and you learn

and you learn

with every goodbye, you learn...

- Veronica A. Shoffstall

Hi Ginny

I'm back again. Thanks for the info regarding that book. I shall try and order a copy or two (for friends) today.

Those quotes are just spot-on. They speak to my soul.

I especially like "Healing is the rediscovery of who we are and who we have always been" and

".....and you begin to accept your defeats with your head up and your eyes ahead with the grace of a woman, not the grief of a child" and

"........with every goodbye you learn."

Would you object if i shared them with others over the wall?

Take care, keep sharing them - i wish you well as you continue to work towards healing. Actually that bit sounds a bit naff doesn't it? because it implies that healing is right over there in the distance whereas healing happens bit by bit just where we are.....

Liz x

Liz - I am glad you are getting something from this - and please DO share with others - these passages touch my soul too... ^_^

" Worry never robs tomorrow of its sorrow;

it only saps today of it's strength... "

- A J Cronin

Love to you liz, :wub::wub:

Ginny

Recovery is..

realizing that what seems like a big deal today may be more manageable tomorrow..

Understand that time is on your side! You dont just have the next twenty four hours to make things right.

The truth is... you've got all the rest of your life.

- Douglas Pagels

Since there are opposites to all things, I will choose the easy instead of the difficult way.

I can choose relaxation or stress, detachment or control, acceptance or dominance, freedom or attachment, peace or strife, joy or sorrow, and bliss or misery.

I will remember that when the hard way presents itself, it is only one side of things and doesn't deserve my attention.

When my mind is at rest and I am empty and receptive, the easy and beautiful unfolding takes place. This is known as recovering the easy way.

- Jim McGregor

Archived