Mental Health Forums

Who Else Has Ibs?

lille_eskimit

I've read that IBS is closely linked to mental illnesses and stress, so out of curiosity, I was wondering who here also has IBS, apart from me.

Some of the food mentioned in the Depression forum under the thread title 'A Look at Dietary Factors...' are also GI triggers that people suffering from IBS should avoid, such as caffeine, refined sugar etc...So it's not suprising to find out that it is not advisable for people who have anxiety to consume them!

Just looked up the symptoms and most of them I suffer from. I usually feel like I am having an apendicitis and I have constant lower back pain. My freshman year of college I started getting those symptoms really badly. They come and go but I know that usually what I eat goes right tru me especially things with caffeine it in. I was surprised because I saw that panic attacks are associated with IBS.

It's important you get a diagnosis from your doctor...just in case it could be something worse (I'm not trying to scare you, as it prolly isn't...But it is better to be sure!)...There are loads of IBS help sites available...One of them's called Help for IBS and is run by a lady called Heather Van Vorous who wrote the Eating for IBS recipe book...

Basically, there's no cure for it, and most of the medz prescribed rarely work...Your best bet is to control your symptoms through diet...which means, no fat, no grease, no refined food, no red meat (white meat is ok, but without skin), no caffeine, no dairy products (including choccies!! The rest can be replaced with soy substitutes)...I'm an IBS-C (sometimes A), and it was so bad at one point I was bleeding (don't want to go in too much graphic detail!)...But if I base all my meals on soluble fibre, with a moderate portion of insoluble fibre, take herbal supplements, drink lots of water, and stay away from the GI triggers, I'm normally ok...except for when it was during the festive season. I pulled out all the stops then and ate whatever I liked (I cheat sometimes if I know I don't have to do anything important within the next few days)...I am regretting it now as I'm struggling to get my system back on track again!!! :o

LADY!

Caffeine is not good for people of a nervous disposition. Caffeine WILL induce a panic attack in many people. Stop drinking the stuff, its evil!

Forgot to add...Fat in general (whether it's lard or olive oil makes no difference) will trigger an IBS attack, but you still need some fat in your diet, so just keep it to a minimum and you'll be fine. Sugar is ok if you don't overdo it, but watch out for artificial sweeteners...They're not IBS-Friendly at all!

I have it too - but if you keep your diet reasonably healthy you can cope quite well, although there are lots of things available for people with IBS, - I have had some small polyps removed from my bowel so I have to go and have it checked every twelve months or so now.. a good idea for anyone with IBS, I reckon...

Crohne's Disease can also be a problem for some people....

Ginny :)

PS. sorry to sound so..... abrupt?... I am in a funny head space at the moment.

I've found that Peppermint/Fennel capsules help with the bloating, and I regularly take soluble fibre supplements...However, when it's an absolutely emergency that requires immediate action, I can turn to the suppositories I have in my medz collection...Gross, I know (Sorry!)...But they do help in extreme conditions...Not to be used too often though!

I've managed to get hold of an IBS-Friendly Cheat Sheet which has all the dos and don'ts at-a-glance (traffic-light style!), plus a quick list of food you can and can't eat, along with tips and links to helpful info...It's a PDF file which you can print out (just one A4 page), and stick on your fridge or carry round with you on your handbag...If anyone wants a copy, PM me with your email addy and I'll foward the file to you. :)

I've read that IBS is closely linked to mental illnesses and stress, so out of curiosity, I was wondering who here also has IBS, apart from me.

Some of the food mentioned in the Depression forum under the thread title 'A Look at Dietary Factors...' are also GI triggers that people suffering from IBS should avoid, such as caffeine, refined sugar etc...So it's not suprising to find out that it is not advisable for people who have anxiety to consume them!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Affective spectrum disorder risk runs in families

Biol Psychiatry 2004; 56: 884–891

Researchers have found that affective spectrum disorders (ASD), including the medical components, tend to run in families, with fibromyalgia co-aggregating with other disorders in the spectrum.

The ASD cluster consists of 14 psychiatric and medical conditions – attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder, bulimia, dysthymic disorder, generalized anxiety disorder, major depressive disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, panic disorder, post-traumatic stress disorder, premenstrual dysphoric disorder, social phobia, and fibromyalgia, irritable bowel syndrome, migraine, and cataplexy – which all share a common, but as yet unknown, physiologic abnormality.

Previously finding that the psychiatric forms of ASD show familial coaggregation, the researchers sought to determine whether medical conditions within the cluster also run in families.

They collected data for 533 relatives of patients with fibromyalgia and 272 relatives of individuals without the condition.

Relatives of patients with fibromyalgia were 1.8 times as likely as those of individuals without the condition to develop an ASD. Moreover, the number of different types of ASD seen in relatives increased in accordance with the number of different types seen in the patient.

In addition, among the relatives of patients with fibromyalgia, the lifetime prevalence of one or more other forms of ASD was 42.2%, compared with just 26.5% for the relatives of individuals without the condition. Thus, fibromyalgia co-aggregated significantly with other forms of ASD, with an odds ratio of 2.0.

This difference remained significant even after excluding mood disorders, with which fibromyalgia is known to commonly co-aggregate.

The findings confirm the psychiatric and medical disorders grouped under the term ASD run together in families, "raising the possibility that these disorders might share a heritable physiologic abnormality," James Hudson (McLean Hospital, Belmont, Massachusetts, USA) and team note in the journal Biological Psychiatry.

"It would seem useful to search for genetic factors common to the proposed forms of ASD, because identification of such factors might greatly advance the theoretic understanding and clinical treatment of these very common and often disabling conditions."

_

IBS is a bitch, none of the prsecribed meds work.

I'm vegan and watch what i eat and it doesn't make much difference i still suffer with it even though i don't eat the so called trigger foods.. <_<

I'm vegan and watch what i eat and it doesn't make much difference i still suffer with it even though i don't eat the so called trigger foods..

Avoiding trigger foods isn't enough, I've found...Have you tried increasing your intake of soluble fibre? And also make sure you drink plenty of fluids, more than you normally do, if you're IBS-C. I've also heard that regular exercises and smaller (but more frequent) meals can help...

I've been to see several GPs and even had tests done at the hospital, but so far, all advice I've had from the supposed medical professionals have been useless...GPs don't seem to know a great deal about IBS (Well, they are only General Practitioners)...In the end, the only thing that worked came from a website of a fellow-sufferer of the condition...

Archived