Mental Health Forums

Hi I'm New

Smoosh

Smoosh -

Welcome I'm glad you decided to take the plunge in -

Hope you find the site helpful.

Marchmadness

Thank you for your kind words.

It's nice to meet a fellow Amanda. I was going to use either Amanda or Mandy in my username, I'm glad I didn't, things would get a bit confusing otherwise :D

I think we might be okay, although my surname is quite common.

Have you ever googled your full name? (in my defence I was bored and slightly curious :D ) It turns out there are quite a few people in the world who have the same name as me :o

yeap in in my city 3 people with the same last name use all the same professionals I do, make things confusing at time,

Amanda

Speaking of names, I started a new job a couple of weeks ago and still hardly anyone knows my name. I feel like wearing a bloody name tag! I either get called 'the new girl in personnel' or for some weird reason 'Payroll' :unsure:

How hard can it be to learn someone's name?

hi smoosh (amanda),

just thought i might say that i'm shocking with names, however i've already remembered yours (and wont forget) just by reading a couple of quirky posts :) ... i've met people that i find particularly interesting yet forget their names instantly and often repeatedly.. the fact that i was in totally sterile and boring surroundings seemed to swallow the memory.

It's probably your surroundings not you.. Is your work place fast paced and exciting? I know mine wasn't ;)

Everyone at work seems to know each other really well and I'm kinda feeling a bit out of the loop at the moment.

I daren't tell any of my workmates about my BPD or depression. I get the feeling they already think I'm a bit weird :(

nobody should ever tell a workplace about bpd as it can lead to very bad things, so it's good you haven't yet, give them time they'll come around,

Amanda

hi smoosh (amanda),

just thought i might say that i'm shocking with names, however i've already remembered yours (and wont forget) just by reading a couple of quirky posts :) ... i've met people that i find particularly interesting yet forget their names instantly and often repeatedly.. the fact that i was in totally sterile and boring surroundings seemed to swallow the memory.

It's probably your surroundings not you.. Is your work place fast paced and exciting? I know mine wasn't ;)

I work in the personnel department of a waste management company (and yes, it really is as exciting as it sounds :D )

you've only been there a couple of weeks.. i think it would be an achievement to be documented if anyone became part of the loop in a new workplace inside a month!

as far as telling people about your depression, bpd etc goes.. everyone is different and finds comfort in confiding in different people in different situations.

Personally, i found work NOT to be one of those places. In fact, i generally share it with very few people outside of family and close friends.

There were, are and will continue to be times when i'm particularly down when i desperately feel the need to talk to someone, anyone about what i'm feeling.. but in the past i always ended up regreting it and feeling shitty that someone else knew afterward, and that i had therefore lost my ability to blend in and just be 'normal' in that person's eyes.

So, in true male style :P , i'd bottle it up until the surge of crap emotion settled to bearable (which it almost always does soon enough) and felt better for not having shared something that was quite personal with someone that i never really wanted to tell.

This wasn't always possible though, but in the majority of cases i tried to keep it to myself, and still do. I find it helps keep things less complicated in my day to day life.

I've always felt like a bit of an outsider and as though I've never really fitted in anywhere. It was like that at uni - I had friends, but didn't feel a part of things. I don't want the same thing happening at work. My workmates not knowing my name or wanting to get to know me only fuels this fear.

As for not telling anyone about my BPD - I want to tell people, so they can understand why I act the way I do sometimes, but I know that it is something that could be used against me. At the moment my BPD isn't affecting my work, but I'm worried that at some point it will.

Archived