Mental Health Forums

Benzotropine

ragdoll

hey all, i started a new side effect med today, was wondering if anyone has tried it and if it works well. its cogentin or benzotropine - me or benzotrop. those are the names given here in australia. its an anti- parkinsonian and supposed to stop tremors, drolling, stiffness and all the lovely stuff you get from the neuroleptics and anti psychotics. does anyone use it and does it work cause today i had to get it. ive been on stelazine for 2.5 months and high doses and only just the last 5 days have i started to notice the side effects, today they have been more pronounced. had to race to pharmacy to get them and nearly jumped down the pharmacists throat with anxiety as they werent listening to my questions about the drug. i had to come home and read my drug book. but what i really need is advice from someone who has been on it.

i understand that diff countries use dif drugs and use diff names so if you cant help i understand, but if you can id appreciate anything. i have tachycardia and worry that this drug may affect that.

thanks guys.

I am no pharmacist but cogentin(benzotropine) is widely used in the US. We have at least 10 clients that are on psychotropic medications that take cogentine for the side effects. It doesn't usually cause any problems. I would be more worried about the stelazine. A lot of the older drugs cause TDK (Tartive Diskconizia - sp?) and once you have that it doesn';t go away. TDK is a list of side effects like shaking, tongue thrusting, arm ratchiting and stiffness. Once you get it it can't be undone. You see these conditions in a lot of the older folks that came out of institutions. Stelezine, Thorazine, and other of the older drugs are not widely prescribed in the US for that reason.

Good Luck,

Bets

Tardive Dyskinesia. When I worled in psych we had one fellow that had it, I can remember that he would flail is arms around in a propeller like motion, and he couldnt keep still. It wasnt pretty.

I think that you need to discuss this with your doctor. Weigh the pros and cons before you decide if you want to take it or not. Its very possible that TDK will not be a problem for you. Ask your Doc how they will monitor the TDK? And what measures, if any will or can they take to prevent this.

Being a patient is much like being a consumer, you can decide what you like and dont like. Be proactive about your care. You will really benefit from it.

Take care

Wabbit

yeah thanks guys, i dont have any other of the TDK's but i am finding that my memory is gettting poor and when i went to the pharmacy to pick up the benzotrop, i nearly jumped down their throats because they werent listening to me. i was so agitated from the tremor. the stelazine has worked for my thoughts though, i havent been having half as many self harm thoughts and that in itself is a god send and most of the time i have felt calm. i just tend to react to certain situations and ppl at the momet. i mean last night i took a few more stelazine than i was supposed to and this moring im up earlier than usual, with only mild tremor, but drowsy i cant figure it out sometimes.

anyway thanks guys for your thoughts i will talk to my shrink tommorrow. but so far out of all the anti psychotic and neuroleptic agents this has to be one of the best ive been on.

Archived