Mental Health Forums

Dreams Vs Reality

lille_eskimit

There are times when I'll say to David, " Remember when such and such a thing happened, and you said..." only to have him look blankly at me because the incident I was referring to NEVER happened...It was all a dream, but because the line between dreams and reality are so blurred in my life, I end up confusing the two...At other times, something really did take place, but for some reason, I'd think it was just a dream and treat it as such...Not very good if it was someone reminding me of something important!

Has anyone ever experienced that?? :wacko:

It can get a little freaky, 'cos there I'd be, absolutely insisting that something did happen, when it was just all in my head...But it seemed SO REAL!!! Like the other day, I thought David and I had a conversation all about tom-cats, but when I brought it up again so we could continue that discussion, he looked at me real weird, like I was mad...This happens to me a lot, which sometimes makes me question my sanity...

Also, lately, I've been having some really horrifying nightmares that feature either monsters or mutated animals all coming after me...even if I were in a roomful of people, it's my blood they want...The nightmares are always accompanied by guts, gore and maiming that are so graphic I end up waking up shit scared, sometimes crying out loud, and for the rest of the day, I'll be a nervous wreck...I know they're just dreams (well, I have had dreams come true on me before!), but they're very disturbing, and I always end up shaken, expecting one of those creatures to come leaping out on me...so much so that I'll not leave the house... :o

*hug* sorry about the nightmares. sometimes i do get dreams confuzzled w/ reality, and it does tend to cause problems. q=

i don't know what else to tell you. maybe try talking to your psych about it? seroquel has helped me get to sleep and have less bad dreams, if you wanna try that.

maybe try talking to your psych about it?

You reckon? I didn't think it was THAT serious, although it does happen to me a lot...I know there are others who have been through the same...David tells me it's prolly nothing to worry about, but sometimes I'm not so sure...It's worse for me because sometimes I DO hear voices, which then leads me to question again: What's real?

Yea charme,

I often think ive had conversations that I havent had apparently. I even thought that someone had told me to forget a debt I owed them lol.

That was embarrasing.

Thinking dreams were reality and vice versa has been with me as far back as I can remember. I don't know that it is that uncommon in the general population, but to the extent that I have experienced it, and you have described, it may be. I too sometimes feel that the lines are blurred...

Having had/continue to have ECT treatments I have horrible difficulty with my memory. I tend to forget the things I truely want and need to remember. At times I have a memory return and I'm not quite sure if its real or not. Maybe a dream that I've had................dunno.

Its frustrating. I know its frustrating for ya' all' even if none have had ECT treatments.

Wisdom

When I was younger I must have been about 4 I woke up and looked out the window and I saw Zippy looking inside my window. I was scared so I got my dad and he went away. My dad laughed at me but I remember being awake. But, I guess I am not sure I don't want to believe I was hallucinating.

When I was 12, I had woken up and opened my eyes and this little girl with long brown hair with a big blue bow in her har was staring at me while I was sleeping. My eyes were open and I froze for a minute and as I adjusted my eyes she ran behind my bed and disappeared. I told my mother and she told me I was dreaming but I know I was awake! Maybe it was a hynagogic hallucination.

Maybe I see dead people!Who knows maybe I should tell the psychiatrist about it.

Maybe I see dead people!

LOL...Got to admit, hair at the back of my neck was standing on end...That happens sometimes with me...This time, I know it's 'cos of what I just read, but there are times, when I just get that funny feeling I'm being watched for no apparent reason!

I think confusing dreams and reality isn't an uncommon trait among most individuals, but I suspect it's a tad worse for those suffering from BPD or other mental disorders.

Archived