Mental Health Forums

10 Things That Changed My Life

stratlg

I stumbled across this web page about 5 days ago, and it has really forced me to look at my habits and how I live my life. In fact, it has changed how I deal with my mother with BPD. I sent it to some other people, and they did not see the significance. My brother, however, did. I am hoping this will help some of you.

Read this very carefully, line by line, over and over. See if it doesn't resonate with you like it did with me:

10 simple ways to save yourself from messing up your life

http://www.bspcn.com/2007/05/22/10-simple-...g-up-your-life/

I can see its use but I find it a bit oversimplefied these ten points.

But if it helped you,good!!!

Lilly

*looks worried*

"If you’re feeling guilty about what someone else did, see a psychiatrist. That’s insane." - I do that!!! :blink: :huh:

"If you don’t like the way you are, make yourself different. You’re the only person who’s standing in your way"

if only it were that easy!!!

I like number 10:

"Don’t worry about about your personality. You don’t really have one. Personality, like ego, is a concept invented by your mind. It doesn’t exist in the real world. Personality is a word for the general impression that you give through your words and actions. If your personality isn’t likeable today, don’t worry. You can always change it, so long as you allow yourself to do so. What fixes someone’s personality in one place is a determined effort on their part-usually through continually telling themselves they’re this or that kind of person and acting on what they say. If you don’t like the way you are, make yourself different. You’re the only person who’s standing in your way."

That's quite cool. Impossible, but cool.

d

They are 10 things that can change my life, if it was so easy to change, then why am I in therapy? Sometimes things are easier sain then done.

Bobbi

good stuff there Strat..would need consistent work to get there though. Reading it doesn't translate to immediate results..lol (how I wish!).

Sw

I like number 10:

"Don’t worry about about your personality. You don’t really have one. Personality, like ego, is a concept invented by your mind. It doesn’t exist in the real world. Personality is a word for the general impression that you give through your words and actions. If your personality isn’t likeable today, don’t worry. You can always change it, so long as you allow yourself to do so. What fixes someone’s personality in one place is a determined effort on their part-usually through continually telling themselves they’re this or that kind of person and acting on what they say. If you don’t like the way you are, make yourself different. You’re the only person who’s standing in your way."

That's quite cool. Impossible, but cool.

d

Oh, god. To me that sounds absolutely HORRIBLE... that is not a thing to say to someone with BPD. I already don't feel I have a personality and feel I'm creating a new one every day - the identity issue is a huge problem with the BPD! we need stability not change on a day to day basis.

I think it should have been said differently - i.e. 'if you don't like your BEHAVIOUR then change it' - but not your fucking personality!

"If you don’t like the way you are, make yourself different. You’re the only person who’s standing in your way"

It is that easy, and it's really that simple.

Unless someone is holding a scalpel cutting away at your brain, the only person who can change your thought processes is...

Now, the question of "HOW?!?!" is often left unanswered. That, is answered by someone who is close to you, inside you. Ask them, now, how to change. If you don't get an answer, look outside for examples of how people have changed themselves. If you get an answer, consider it.

BTW, killing yourself is not the answer, there are too many evil people in the world, killing yourself makes it easy for them.

And their life is too easy as it stands as far as I see it, right? If my existence causes some evil shit to squirm in his seat, then I'm doing my job.

Right?

Right! ;)

*hugs*

Archived