Mental Health Forums

A Non-addictive Anxiety Drug

pain-dance

I used to suffer horrendous and persistent anxiety episodes, and the Valium-type drugs were no good, as they should only be used in the short-term (depending on how resposible your doctor is).

My GP put me on a drug called Propranalol (a beta-blocker), working me up to 120 mgs per day. After a couple of weeks, my mind and body were very relaxed, and I was able to think straight.

COLIN.

• 3 weeks later...

I need to take it for my migraines & tremor, I keep forgetting.

As I have been experiencing long term very major anxiety I think more focus needs to be placed on its role for that as well from now on.

Thanks Colin so much for the reminder!

Shall reopen dosage discussion, I seem to need very low amount of some pills, but perhaps I need more of this one, if I feel an effect it reminds me to keep taking it :)

• 5 weeks later...

I was prescribed beta bockers and they worked wonders for my anxiety,down side was they started to constrict my wind pipe and I seen another doctor who took me off them straight away saying I was allergic to them as I could have stopped breathing as you cant take them if you have asthma,my other doctor who prescribed me them "forgot" I had asthma !! :angry:

• 4 weeks later...

I've been on Propranalol, on and off, for the past umm . . . 24 years :blink: anything between 80 and 160mg/day. Every few years I try now and then to come of it but the panic attacks and anxiety problems just take over my life. Even with the beta-blockers, I get anxiety attacks. But I'm a severe case. That said, it is a fantastic drug. Air Traffic controllers and other people in high stress vocations couldn't do their jobs without it!

The side effects are unfortunate - lack of physical stamina and breathlessness, but it's worth it.

Ali.

Archived