Mental Health Forums

Cat-astrophe In My Life

lille_eskimit

Not sure where this should go, so thought I'd whack it in here since it's a semi-depressive topic...

It's all about Tippy (or 2P as I affectionately call her, 'cos she's s2pendous!) the cat...She's not really mine, although she's been David's fave out of the multitudes of feline creatures in this household as he was growing up, and she does tend to spend a lot of time with us, in our room. She even sleeps on our bed everyday/night.

Unfortunately, she's old...Since she sort of just arrived one day, no one knows how old she is, but we reckon at least 13 to 14 years...Lately she's been having seizures, and behaving sort of odd...She used to leap up and go investigate whenever anyone brings food near her, even pounce on your food sometimes if you're not careful, but she hasn't done any of that the last few days, and spends most of the time sleeping...She's losing a lot of weight, very rapidly, and appears lethargic, no longer as playful as before and slightly senile (comes into the room, then goes out again, appears to go to sleep and then jumps up again as though she'd just suddenly remembered something etc). She also seems to seek comfort and cuddles a great deal these days. She's been asleep all of today...hasn't even gone outside or eaten... :(

David's mum's meant to be taking her to the vet's soon, and there's talk that 2P may have to be put down if the seizures affect the quality of her life...I know she's only a cat, but over the last couple of years, I've grown attached to her...She's more than just a cat...She's so sweet and adorable...and did I say intelligent too??? Proper cat, she is...and the thought of her life ending is just too much to bear...It's gonna be so strange not having her around as I'm so used to having her in here. I know I shouldn't be taking this personal, 'cos things like that happen, and you just have to deal with it...But I think if the news from the vet's is bad, I'm a little scared I may not be able handle it. I've lost a kitten before, and I still remember the tears...The memory haunts me even now. :(

I had this hamster in England and that died right before I left for America. I was going to give it to a friend but I woke up the morning I was supposed to give it away and it was all lethargic and it smelt funny. Then it died it was heart wrenching.

My friend and I were riding our horses together and her horse just toppled over and it died. It was agonizing.

I got another hamster that I named Matt Lauer after a news anchor over on American television and I knew he was about to die and when I went to England last I gave it to my friend to watch and then when I came back I left it with her because I knew it was dying and I could not stand losing another animal. (When I told my friend Mike about this he thought I really was psychotic.)

The point I am getting at is that its even heard to become attatched to animals because they leave us and it hurts almost as much and a human's death. I do not think I can have any animals because of that.

I know its hard ((((((Charme))))))) and nothing I can say will make death any easier.

Love,

LM

It really is very hard when a pet dies, and because they don't live as long as humans, it seems we have to endure it more often if we are pet people. I've only had one person close to me die. I've had many pets die. I always feels sorry for my dogs and cats because they don't know why they are sick or in pain. At least we know and have friends and family to comfort us. I'm sorry to hear your kitty is sick. Hopefully, if she is sleeping, she isn't in pain.

XX Ann

charme i like your name for that kitty :wub:

it's not easy. i lost numerous cats and hamsters and gerbils growing up and it is very distressing.

i am not sure what to say except treasure her for as long as you have got left together. remember how she smells and feels and sounds and looks. then you will always have her in your heart.

it will be better for her to be put to sleep. if she were a human we would say we wanted euthenasia.

you are in my thoughts, cos i love kitty's too.

Well, I cooked something with a really strong smell for dinner and brought it up here (I usually eat up here to avoid the other members of this house), hoping it would tempt 2P...It didn't at first...All she did was sit up and give me a cursory glance before going back to sleep again, instead of leaping over like she usually does...Last night, we cooked some fish for her...Cod...2P LOVES cod, but she didn't even eat half of it...By the time I finished my meal, she decided to get up and saunter over for a little sniff...I took that as a sign that she's hungry and carried her into the kitchen...She's now picking at some cat food...

Anyhow, here's a pic of me cuddling her yesterday...I'm sure there are better fotos around, but not sure where David's stored them...The other one's of my first kitty, Taboo...The one I had to give away 'cos one of the other cats attacked her. :( I've been assured she's gone to a happy home though!

moi-tp.jpg

taboo_s.jpg

It's not all doom and gloom here...One of the new strays, Scribble, who normally runs away everytime she sees a human being (We suspect she used to be abused) is feeling more at home in her surroundings...She even sat next to me eating her dinner while I did the dishes!!! :)

awwwwww. kittys!!!!!

charme you blinkin remind me of myself man. like the oversized jumper. i have a turquoise one that is actually mike's. before it was his it was his dad's. now it's mine forever whohahahaha!

anyway - it's nice you have a pic of her and you together. glad i got to see her too! thanks for the photo.

xx

Heh...This jumper's David's...I have two on actually...My own black roll-neck jumper underneath and then David's over that for added warmth...Also allows me to feel close to him throughout the day...Even smells of him... :wub:

Hehehe...

Tried to entice 2P with more food today, cooked some fish and chicken for her...Got a little worried before that as I couldn't find her anywhere...She could of had a seizure in the middle of the road and got run over by a car!! :blink: Anyhow, she's in now...finished all her food and is having a nap on our bed... :)

Her tail was kind of jerky when she came in, so I suspect it's the onset of another seizure...will have to try and keep her in for the rest of today...

I've found a better pic of 2P on the comp...and another of Scribble, the stray we've taken in which I mentioned in an earlier post...

2P

tippy.jpg

Scribble

scribble.jpg

Lovely cats... :wub:

i dunno why but when i read 'lovely cats' it conjures this image of you rubbing your knees and looking pervily at them, with a grin, saying, 'lovely cats'.

:P

course, being me, i can really do that with anything.

hey i should post a pic of me doing it to a plant or summit. it'd be dead funny.

i dunno why but when i read 'lovely cats' it conjures this image of you rubbing your knees and looking pervily at them, with a grin, saying, 'lovely cats'.

...Myyy preciousssss...

Muhahahaha!!! :lol:

AAAaaaw...Horsey!!! David asked me the other day when I was going to learn to drive...I told him I'd rather learn to ride a horse...If I died tommorrow, that would definitely be one of my biggest regrets...not learning to ride...I can live without the experience of driving a car, but not without riding a horse...And besides, I already have David to chauffer l'il ole me around...In whose other hands would I be safer? :P

My ex's dad was a farmer, and for a time we used to live with his parents on a farm near Brighton...His dad also used to be an amateur jockey and kept race horses in the stables...One was called Twinkle...such a sweet thing...would come trotting over everytime I called her, and start nibbling my jumper...LOL :lol:

What was your horse called?

I second that!! My natural mum died in a car accident when I was 8, and I nearly died in one myself a few years back...I've still not gotten over my motoring fears! :wacko:

I really don't know why I started off being scared to drive but after my mother refused to let me drive cause I could not afford my own car and insurance at 17 years old I was really embarrased because all my friends drove and I did not want to tell them that my mother would not let me. Then I went to college in NY and besides being no room on campus to park the car I was also living ina city where there are lots of buses, trains, and cabs. Then my friend died in 2002 in a car accident and I am just too afraid now. My reason behind that is I am terrified of death so I am scared to live.

Public transport is crap around here, which is why David was advising me to learn driving...He used to be an instructor, and is brilliant with cars, so I might still go for it...Depends of how much time I have after I graduate...Mind you, he can't teach me in the Mondeo ST200 we've got as it's a little too big...

One time at band camp...nah just joking. My friend let me drive her car once in high school in a city with one way streets. I was dumb enough to turn up the one way street and almost got us killed in a head on collision.

My dad was teaching me how to drive for a while in his car and he used to get really nervous and once while I was driving I looked at him looking out the window and he was hanging onto the door with such a death grip. I asked him what was wrong and he said "You make me want to shit my pants!" Now should I really be behind a stearing wheel?

Don't you love how these forums stray from the topic. Its like having a conversation jumping from topic to topic. Kind of reminds me of my therapy sessions. :lol: :lol:

One time at band camp...

OMG...That's the phrase I keep using...David says I remind him of Michelle from American Pie...'cos I'm always going: "Oh you know, this one time..." :lol:

Now should I really be behind a stearing wheel?

I'm the sort of person who trips over my own feet, so the roads are prolly not safe with me around!!! :wacko:

Dude...did you see the "American Pie Wedding" it is soooo funny. I was crying with laughter!!!!!!!If not you have to rent it especially if you are in to a good laugh.

There is a part in the movie where Stiffler is taking care of the wedding ring and he accidently feeds the ring to a dog and he has to spend the day watching the dogs until they pooped so he could get the ring back. He had to dig for it and then after with the ring in his hand awith poop all over it he runs into some family members who ask him whats in his hand and he said chocolate and stuck it in his mouth..... :lol::lol::lol: I have a sick mind! But I am also extremely hyper because of the amount of sugar I have consumed today!

Eeeew!!! :o

Have not watched the final instalment of AP...But I did watch the first two...I can't say I'm a big fan of the film, but Alyson Hannigan sure is a dishy babe... *Drool*

Charme

I feel for you.

Have had 4 cats, 1st family cat with mum etc.

Then like you got adopted by a stray, we called him mog at first cos we thought he might belong to someone in the nieghbourhood and their was no point in gettig to close.

When we finally realised that no one was gonna claim him (if they had they wld not have deserved him as he was riddled with both fleas and worms) we kept him and got him checked out at the vets, they reckoned he was about 2.

We got rid of the fleas and worms and he grew into his true sise (v large tabby) he was a terror, we lived in the county and he had had to look after himself so was good at catching rabbits etc.

In the end we called him Furson (furry person).

He passed away about 9 yrs ago (kidney failure) we had the vet come to the house to send him to sleep and we spiolt him with prawns and proper cat food as he had b een on a special diet which he did not like and as we had other cat s was toruture cos he could smell thier whiskas/felix etc.

He was a lovely old teddy and we are so glad he was part of our lives.

You are no doubt a good mum to your cats, that is the best you can do.

Here are (if it works a pic of my two cat that I have now, The dark one is Kashmir and the tabby and white is Hayzell, they are both adorable.

2P's downstairs having some fish...She seems ok today! :)

Anyhow, found a pic of me on the farm I used to live at (my ex's family...He's my daughter's dad)...That was taken on my daughter's first birthday celebration(though she's not in the pic...can't find the ones taken of her on that day...think they're all with my mum) held three days after the actual day (20/09) as it was a weekend...The white horse next to me is the one I was talking about - Twinkle.

deans_farm_s.jpg

Archived