Mental Health Forums

Charles Bukowski

starvingcarter

Recently, my girlfriend gave me a copy of Bukowski's Hot Water Music. It is a collection of short, humorous stories about people suffering from a variety of mental illnesses. I am only half-way through the book, but it is very enjoyable so far. Is anyone familiar with Bukowski or other Beat Generation writers such as Kerouac or Ginsberg?

I am familiar with Ginsberg's "Howl," but I am more familiar with Naked Lunch by William Burroughs. I loved that book, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. It is toxic.

I could elaborate if desired. Hyperbole is the only accurate way to describe Burroughs's work.

KW, please can forum members think before giving precise reference to ready-made toxic materials, and not do so.

Other forum members are here for serious purposes.

Thank you.

Sorry that was a bit severe in parts

I meant, if obtained a substantial amount of ready made content may act as toxic on another reader

One could put, "I found some literature by one or two authors of that group toxic" or something ...

Miko, I took it as that he meant the book is "toxic" as in addictive. Either that or he meant that the book is almost impossible to comprehend. It doesn't make much sense at all. It is a compilation of a bunch of nonsense almost that is supposed to fit together as a whole.

I am a huge fan of the Beat writers and none of them I would consider as toxic to a person with BPD. Miko, you are overthinking this.

This stupid forum won't let me edit my post. I wanted to add that I am also a fan of Ginsberg's Kaddish....it deals with his mother's mental illness. I am not a fan of Kerouac as much because he is a bit self-indulgent.

EDIT: For some reason, this post I can edit...the other not so much.

i love charles bukowski, the first book i read was ham on rye, and then i was hooked.havent read the book you mentioned so will immediately obtain, cheers.....

Archived