Mental Health Forums

Loud Sounds......................

MizC

Maybe its just me-I hope not.But-is there anyone else out there that just cannot handle loud sounds-like really loud music,someone yelling,firecrackers,sirens to close-and a few others;you get the idea.

These have a really BAD effect on me.These things often happen just before I get a real strong urge to hurt myself.

So.................is it just me or does anyone else have this problem?

to me it isn't just loud sounds... more like lots of confussion of sounds.. they all blend together. It sounds so much like the voices i hear i can't seperate. Also loud music i can't get away from. Doesn';t make me feel like harming myself but makes me feel like screaming (and that doesn't look too good for me)!

Bets

Yup, I'm with both of you on the sound thing.

Can't stand loud noises or jumbles of noises.

Loud noises set me off, and jumbles of noises confuse me. :unsure:

not nec loud, incessant crying, screaming...sets me off too...tests my limits, either i walk away or i go bonkers. i hate loud, incessant noises. Come to think of it, empty chatter sometimes also set me off, eg. in the train, on the bus, people talking about inane things..i think its just b me and my impatience. My pdoc says that i generally have a "low tolerance" for people. what a way to put it eh. Simpler to say, i usually hate people. especially fools.

yes, loud noises affect me adversely,but mostly when I'm on edge, and I'm easily startled.

Budgie, know what you mean by inane chat, been a lot of that in the sanc lately, haven't been frequenting the place as much.

snowball77

Ordinarily, loud noises, music, etc., don't bother me. But if I'm in crisis mode, omg, I feel like I'm going to go crazy if I'm exposed to anything loud. A few weeks ago when I was at a really bad place, I had to go to a bar for work. The combination of the flashing lights, music, and loud drunk people had me on the brink. I cried all the way home and had to just lay in the dark, crying, until I fell asleep. I hope I never feel like that again.

I hate the "stupid ppl syndrome" My friend went to a shop to buy a bra. My friend was asking all the pertinent questions and every answer was "i dont know" well she said it one too many times. My response to her was "what do you know?" my friend was gobsmacked. I told her that I dont have tolerance for that kinda stupidity. She said she cant take me ANYWHERE! The whole thing was very annoying

I dont like it sometimes when the kids are outside playing and making alot of noise I wanna go strangle em. This usually ends up in a panic attack. Man how I hate those.

Just as a matter of interest, my 5 yr old nephew who has autism cant take noise either, unless he is making it. Not that I think you have autism, it was just an FYI.

Take gentle care

Wabbit

sirens screw me up, although this is a more recent thing, i seem to hear a siren and associate it with my dads death even though the ambulance took him away in the middle of the night with no sirens just blue flashing lights

flippy

Well doorbells do it for me, I have IBS too and it makes my stomach cramp, then the rest of it comes.

My boyfriends doorbell sounds like a fire alarm which has the same reaction, but at the same time i run for the door!

Lisa

Archived