Mental Health Forums

Zolpidem And Diazepam

Carly88

Ok, so I was admitted onto an acute ward at the end of february where i came off of my venlafaxine and lithium for a drugs free asessment, also the TC i was to be going to had a drugs free policy (including prescribed ones).

This would have been all well and good but instead they had me on lorazepam, diazepam and zolpidem. I stopped taking them for a while after i was discharged but now that I have left the TC I am back on the diaz and zolpidem.

I know i am dependant on them now as feel the need to take one when i feel it 'wearing off' and i am feeling less anxiety relieving effects from the Diaz. I'm on 20mg a day repeat prescription which isn't due for review until the end of december- it is going to be hell coming off of them. Also the zolpidem is a bit of a nightmare as if i'm not asleep when it kicks in i'm getting bad hallucinations, is anyone else getting that? On the instructions it says for use for up to two weeks, that's four months i've been on it now :(.

My GP has said i will be prescribed mood stablilisers and anti-psychs probably but need to see my consultant first, in the mean time I am just doped up and it is driving me insane, arrrgghh!

Anyone else on here irritated by being spaced out yet still feeling the lows and highs?

xxx

Hi Carly

I too am on Zolpidem and have been since last October. I am also awaiting going to a TC and whilst they do have a drugs free policy they let you come off them over the first 3 months, rather than being off them before you go. I was first put on Zopiclone but it took about 3 hours to kick in and make me sleep and durin that time I would do crazy things (once almost got in the car to drive!) I was changed to Zolpidem and at first they worked in about 20 minutes so I would make sure I was in bed before I took them. They now take a lot longer (about 1 and a half hours) and I have to be careful because whilst I don't have hallucinations I don't have any recollection of that time the next day and can do things without knowing - i.e. send emails, phone people and things. I am also really worried about coming off them. I take 10mg a night. my plan is to cut down to 5mg a night and then stop. I think what makes it hard is that in effect you forget how to fall asleep by yourself. Without meds, most people fall asleep naturally, but with these meds they work by effectively switching on the sleep centre of your brain - so one minute you are awake and then you are asleep. So you forget how to just lay there until you fall asleep. I think exercise, fresh air, a warm bath or shower and good bedtime routine really help. (by the way the reason a shower or bath help is because it raises your body temperature and then it drops and it is the drop that actually helps you go to sleep.)

I was also given lorazepam when I was under home treatment and then when I was in hospital - it was the answer to everything. And I started to get really addicted and "needed" the next "fix". I would say the first 48 hours of not having it is the worse but then it does get easier. Again don't stop suddenly, but I cut it down gradually. I was initially on 2 tablets 4 times a day. I then cut down to one tablet first thing in the morning and last thing at night, but kept the 2 in the day. I did that for 2 days and then i cut down to 1 tablet at all 4 times for another 2 days. Then I cut out one of the doses - and just kept cutting out one each day. But different things work for different people.

If you are prescribed anti-psychotics they can often make you dopey so you could stop the diazepam then perhaps.

Sorry for going on. I hope some of this helps.

Can I ask - did you go to the TC in the end?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Carly

I too am on Zolpidem and have been since last October. I am also awaiting going to a TC and whilst they do have a drugs free policy they let you come off them over the first 3 months, rather than being off them before you go. I was first put on Zopiclone but it took about 3 hours to kick in and make me sleep and durin that time I would do crazy things (once almost got in the car to drive!) I was changed to Zolpidem and at first they worked in about 20 minutes so I would make sure I was in bed before I took them. They now take a lot longer (about 1 and a half hours) and I have to be careful because whilst I don't have hallucinations I don't have any recollection of that time the next day and can do things without knowing - i.e. send emails, phone people and things. I am also really worried about coming off them. I take 10mg a night. my plan is to cut down to 5mg a night and then stop. I think what makes it hard is that in effect you forget how to fall asleep by yourself. Without meds, most people fall asleep naturally, but with these meds they work by effectively switching on the sleep centre of your brain - so one minute you are awake and then you are asleep. So you forget how to just lay there until you fall asleep. I think exercise, fresh air, a warm bath or shower and good bedtime routine really help. (by the way the reason a shower or bath help is because it raises your body temperature and then it drops and it is the drop that actually helps you go to sleep.)

I was also given lorazepam when I was under home treatment and then when I was in hospital - it was the answer to everything. And I started to get really addicted and "needed" the next "fix". I would say the first 48 hours of not having it is the worse but then it does get easier. Again don't stop suddenly, but I cut it down gradually. I was initially on 2 tablets 4 times a day. I then cut down to one tablet first thing in the morning and last thing at night, but kept the 2 in the day. I did that for 2 days and then i cut down to 1 tablet at all 4 times for another 2 days. Then I cut out one of the doses - and just kept cutting out one each day. But different things work for different people.

If you are prescribed anti-psychotics they can often make you dopey so you could stop the diazepam then perhaps.

Sorry for going on. I hope some of this helps.

Can I ask - did you go to the TC in the end?

Thanks for the advice Karen. That's cool you got off of the Loraz :) , i was previously on zoplicone but just couldn't stand the taste of the stuff.

Yeah I did go to the TC- stayed there for about 4 months- but ultimately it wasn't for me as the group was too small and also it got a bit lost with a transition from full-residency to day care when i first joined. I'm now on a waiting list in my home county for a 'complex needs' service and am yet to have the assessment where they either stick you in the TC or a different therapy group. Time will tell lol.

Archived