Mental Health Forums

Another Newbie

AllTheGoodNamesAreGone

Hi

Based in the UK, not sure if I'm in the right place but thought I'd give it a go :)

"Credentials" are that my mother died of alcoholism and I have an over-developed sense of my own importance in other people's lives and my own power to control people. As the oldest child of three (2 younger sisters) in a family with a non-functional mother and an absent father (physically a lot of the time - he worked overseas - and emotionally pretty much all of the time) I had to be 'grown up' far too young.

Two books I have read recently are really helping me to address all the underlying crap that I was so sure I'd dealt with ("hey, I've got a good job and a house, I'm a functioning human being" - YEAH, RIGHT). Just so you know where I'm coming from right now, the books were Beat Depression & Reclaim your Life (A Massey) and Women who love too much (R Norwood).

Why's it all come up now? Well, after a series of rubbish relationships (2 sick people does NOT equate to one well relationship!) I have somehow managed to end up with someone who seems vaguely normal. Dunno how the hell that happened :lol: but I've fallen into control freak mode yet again and get paranoid, obsessive etc blah blah blah - trying to fix something which I don't think is actually broke. Still getting to know each other, so I may have fallen into the co-dependency trap yet again. He might be a regular nice guy or I might yet again have subconsciously picked on someone who facilitates my toxic behaviour. Either way, I need fixing and I know I'm the only one who can do it.

Looking forward to getting to know these forums, thanks for reading :)

S

Hey,

Glad you found us! Jump in where ever you feel comfortable.

Relationships are a big issue for a lot of us in various ways.

So im sure you will fit in just fine.

See you around.

L

x

Allthegoodnamesaregone,

Your post makes me think of a theory I had read regarding bpd's who are "Apparently Competent". Look for it in the archives or on the net. It might interest you.

I'm glad you found this site. You will be a nice addition. I don't think we have a control freak yet, unless you count Joshua, the founder/owner of the site... :P

XX Ann

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome.

& thanks for recommendation Ann, looked it up before I posted this - yup, that would be me. Anyone else ever feel like a complete fraud? (sigh)

Re: being a control freak - er, was considering starting an internet forum (I already belong to several and manage one) before I found this :lol:... <where's the zip smiley?>

:welcomeani: S!!! Pleased to meet you hun :)

Hope this site can help you out and hopefully you make some good progress and friendships here :)

Thanks for being here ^_^

Ginny :wub:

hello and welcome

just so you know, i am apparently competant but actually useless like sticky tape holding a cracked window pane together

just so you know, i am apparently afflicted and insane. it's all true!!!!

:welcomeani: hope to see you around

lost

xx

Hi,

Welcome to the site. I hope u like it here. The people are great!! Relationships are always hard and so confusing :wacko:

One of my parents had problems with alcohol and its so hard to deal with :(

Post when your ready and take care.

Tory

Archived