Mental Health Forums

Mental Health Records

Lauren

Not sure...the only thing I can think of is approaching your p-doc or care worker...Sorry I'm not much help... :unsure:

You need to write to the records manager of the hospital you were in, or to your GP. I got the name from my social worker and wrote off 4 months ago with still no reply. Don't think it's high on anyone's list of priorities!

Anwen

I spoke to my therapist about doing this last week. I saw a therapist when I was 12 and have little to no memory of it. She told me to contact the place and ask for it. I am very nervous about it.

Amy

Dear Lorna,

According to law you have the right to request access to your own medical records. I think you need to write to a manager in the Health Board concerned.

However, they may decline your request if the doctor(s) decide it would be detrimental to your well-being to read your medical records.

Even if you are allowed to see your own medical records, usually it is a photocopy you receive, and it does take months before you get them.

Hope that helps

K

• 3 weeks later...

to get your health records you contact your gp in writing requesting a copy of them (if your in the uk that is)

they can cost you up to a maximum of £50 depending on how thick your file is and how much photo copying they have to do

i put it in writing i wanted mine and they were ready to pick up 3 weeks later

please be really sure it is something you feel able to cope with

i stupidly hadn't thought through how i would cope with what i would read in them and after reading only a few pages my head was buzzing and i realised i couldn't cope with wht i was reading

my husband has put them away somewhere safe now until i feel able to cope with whats in them

hugs star x

i'm waiting for a copy of my medical notes.

you have to contact the Practice Manager at your surgery.

you can have an appointment and look through them in the presence of the Practice Manager, but i thought mine would be too much to read in about half an hour! lol.

i asked for a copy. they see how long they are and send you an invoice. mine are costing me £27!! lol. must be a lot of them!!

they charge up to £50 for copies. i got all this advice off the NHS website and then phoned my surgery

Does anyone know how you would get a hold of them in America especially since the system is completely different. All my therapists have been private and the psychiatrist had no connection with them.

Lady,

The place I went to is in Ohio. My therapist said just to contact the place and ask for them. I haven't done it yet so I don't know how long it would take. I'm still nervous about it.

Good luck!

Amy

So the therapists we have seen or psychiatrists have sent our information some place? I should ask my therapist about that.

Lady,

The records I want are from when I was 12 (I don't remember much of anything during that time). This is 19 years ago. They were never fowarded to anyone. I guess I could have contacted them at anytime once I turned 18 but I didn't. I saw a therapist briefly when I was 19 (she was terrible). After that experience, instead of finding someone else I went through my 20's in denile that anything was wrong with me. Although my actions said otherwise. I finally began treatment again last year when I was 30. My records are in the same building where I saw the the therapist all those years ago. I should have explained this before. Talk with your therapist and see what he/she says.

Amy

I remember being dx'd with manic depression and PTSD. My mother stopped taking me after I saw the psychiatrist. They wanted to put me on meds. I don't remember what took place during sessions with the therapist other than her having me draw a picture once and one time she taught me ways to relax in stressful situations. I need to know about all the times I saw her, it just makes me nervous to. I'm afraid, yet it could help me now.

Good luck to you, keep me updated if you do it. I'll do the same for you.

Amy

Thanks, all I remember when I went to a therapist as a child they used to talk to my father more than me and I had to get checked for s a**se so I would like to know what was going on because no one has really told me anything. I am going to discuss this with my present therapist because I really trust her.

In Canada here, you can get your medical records. It costs about 15 cents a page and the copies of them are pretty costly. I have tried to get mine.

All you have to do is ask your gp how to get them and find out if they cost anything. Hope that helps.

Archived