Mental Health Forums

Mirtazapine...my Journey With It

PanickyPolly

Well this is my tenth day on Mirtazapine strating at 15mg. Doc recently increased my dose to 30mg. She said she thinks it's taken the edge off as although I've been profoundly depressed and wishing death on myself I haven't been actively planning my suicide which I usually do this time of the month. No nasty side effects yet. was very tired and hungry for first couple of days but ths wore off. Will be taking first 30mg dose tonight

good luck and hope it helps you. I guess anti depressants are not cures and if all they do is take edge off things and prevent us from planning suicide then they are in a way working.

Good luck with it. I was on mirtazapine myself until I had another relapse of major depression and I was changed to another AD. I suffered from none of the listed side effects either so I hope you continue not to also.

Really hope this will turn out to be a good thing for you, sounds like things are looking hopefull with the meds.

Im keeping my fingers crossed.

Lilly

Thanks guys. I took my 30mg last night so fingers crossed. I guess I could end up on 45 mg and probably will as I have such severe depression. I've heard they stop working for some people too trip...strange that. Did they say why that happened? I hope you're doing better now.

So far the only drug that hasn't cuased side effects or been crap for me.

This drug really helped me, it was the most stable I've been out of all of the ad's that i've been on. However I put a lot of weight on with it, 2 stone in 3 months, which I couldn't handle so I came off it

Had cravings again today but as usual didn't give in. It's willpower...not metabolism!!! besides I'd rather be a bit chubby than suicidal.

Finally stopped dissociating although I have thought about self harming a lot. I wonder if all that was increasing because of the meds...worse before you get better ect.

Thats possible that it got worse first. Your body really has to adjust when you are on a new med and that can do strange things.

Glad you feel better now.

Lilly

One thing that I forgot to say was that while I was on this, my periods were really reduced and no period pain, since I have come off it, they have come back with a vengence.

Hi Polly-

No one really knows why this particular drug stopped working for me. I was on 45mg and then gradually began to become more and more depressed again to the point I was hospitalised several times. I eventually had another course of ECT before changing to moclobemide (Aurorix) which I am still on. To function with some sort of normality I have to have large doses of medications just to combat my depression. So far with the Aurorix it is a case of so far so good.

Trips

-xxx-

That's really odd Trips, and Fredy, strange how we get these reactions or lack of them....I can't figure it out and I think docs can't either. Fredy do you still have period probs coz I do and I'm on tranexamic acid but I have a bleeding disorder though.

I'm finding now that unless I take Mirt IMMEDIATELY before I get into bed I get aggressive. I went an sent a funny text to one of my friends in the early hours of the morning yeterday coz I was pissed off at something she said but there was no need to be it was over absolutely nothing. UGH. I think I should apologise. I feel bad about it. Been on them two weeks today now and I still feel awful. GP didn't say when to some back and see her or if she'd be upping my dose.

That's really odd Trips, and Fredy, strange how we get these reactions or lack of them....I can't figure it out and I think docs can't either. Fredy do you still have period probs coz I do and I'm on tranexamic acid but I have a bleeding disorder though.

Luckily they are not that severe, it's just that they were so reduced when I was on the mirtazapine I even thought I may be starting an early menopause!

This is interesting...I currently take this drug, I have been on it for about 5 months but over the last 6 weeks I have been feeling quite suicidal, I don't act upon the feelings but they are always knocking on the door. Only this evening did I tell my mom that I did not think that they were working any more...she says that they have changed me too, she says I forget everything and am always exhausted. I have the weight problem too...I have gained close to 2 stone myself. It is good to read how other people get on with them.

Good luck Polly.

Jane - I felt the same way on mirt, was constantly tired. I think in tiself the tiredness can make your depression worse. Maybe you shuld talk to your doc about changing meds?

I think two weeks is about the time when its supposed to start working BUT soemtimes it takes longer, for some people it takes upto 4 weeks and there have even been studies that full effect doesnt occur until later then that.

So maybe you need to give it some more time.

And why not make an appointment with your doc and discuss it?

Lilly

Yeah perhaps I should go back I don't want to come off them but I have been feeling very bad indeed. If I stop them I know the suicidal urges will come back so I won't do that I mean I'd rather be like this and actively planning my suicide so, as I said further up, in that way I guess they are saving my life but I'm far from being well. Having sad that what can she do other than reduce my dose again?

Good news: I have finally reached my ideal weight so am very happy about that!!!

• 2 weeks later...

OK well she reduced my dose. Didn't see my usual GP she was on holiday but I don't feel QUITE as bad on the 15 mg than I wa on 30mg but still fee worse in every way except for the suicidal urges. I use to have on or two high days even weeks but now it's sort of taken down my depressin a peg or two and sport of levelled it ourt so I'm always depressed but not necessarily suicidally so whearas before I was suicidal and high, days on days off ect. Also anxiety much much worse, OCD through the roof and psychotic. Been on it nearly 2 months now. Should I have gotten better by now or got used to the meds? I asked my psychologist abour seeing a psychiatrist so I can get my meds properly sorted but he said my GP needs to refer me. I'm seeing her next Friday. Ugh, I feel neglected.

When I was on this medication, I was incredibly tired on 15-30mg and dissociated. When I was on 45mg and 60mg it was less of a problem, but I still felt slowed down mentally.

Im not a doctor but yes they should have taken their good effect by now...........

I hope you get to see your psychiatrist soon to sort this out.

Lilly

I'm on mirtazapine and feel very well on it. I did suffer from restless legs but i found the way to overcome that was to take the tablet at dinnertime. I tried 45mg but it was just too much, now I'm on 30mg and am perfectly happy :)

Well I think I feel more depressed now than I've ever felt...Am constantly self harming and my self loathing has increaed 100 % The only thing positive it's done is stopped me from actively planning my death but that's it. Feel like a useless piece of meat that has not future and no life and has lost her soul. My soul feels dead.

Archived