Mental Health Forums

Any Praise For The Mental Health System?

amazinggrace31

Has being involved in the mental health system worked for you? Have you had a great doctor/nurse/therapist?

I think im really forutunate that i have had mostly positive experiences with the medical profession (with regards to my mental health) but on every forums etc i visit people seem to have really horrible times when they are most at need. one of the reasons i put off going to see my dr for so long was that i really thought she would tell me i was an attention seeking child and was wasting her time. she didnt she was brilliant. have other people found that coming into contact with the services was a positive thing?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

None at all but Im delighted that Drews team has succeeded! :D

My experiance is that despite everyone saying the system needs to chand the bosses wont because treatment and support costs money! :lol: If you end up killing yourself then that your choice! The fact that they have driven you to it, by not giving carers training or putting you in inappropriate housing, next to a railway track, or just putting the phone down each time you phone! Will not only be lost and forgotton...... but also supported by the idiots in charge who put their meals before their clients!

The system produces inacurate reports to allow them to abuse, and reduce services! Until you just give up!.... or decide the battle is to one sided to survive! :angry: ... Me angry ?... Dead right I am!

Stuart-G

I have been with my local cmht for about 3 years and have had a really good experience with them. I consider myself extremely lucky compared to the horror stories i have read on this and other forums.

I have an excellent cpn and psychiatrist who have always made me feel like they are doing all that they can within the constriants of the system.

The only critiscism that i could mention is the length of time i have had to wait, and still waiting for an appropriate therapy eg CAT.

Karen

so nice to see a positive thread about this kind of thing (mostly) for once

I suspect that the people who have good experiences are largely not looking for a website to vent on... or are too busy being supported in the real world to need a "virtual" source of support....

I have a wonderful T (not thru nhs)

my gp is supportive tho....

Z

Zarah what you said sounds very true people that are being well supported in the 'real world' are less likely to seek this online support therefore we hear more negative things in these situations.

My only criticism of the mental health services has been the waiting times as someone else mentioned, obviously peoples experiences are going to vary with the place they live not only the obvious differences between countries but even the 'postcode lottery' type treatment within the uk. im glad some people are having positive experiences though.

I don't think that my psychiatrist likes me and has already made his mind up even before he sees me. He calls sh mutilating which pisses me off. He says that I need to start trying, even though my cpn says I can't do anymore than I am. He seems to think that all of my problems are down to my behaviour, which I need to change, so it's all my fault.

Having said that, my gp is very understanding and supportive, he didn't lecture me when I asked him to look at a deep cut, he just steristripped it back together.

My cpn is also fantastic, she is very supportive and is there for me as much as she can be, she is seeing me twice a week at the moment, I even saw her 3 times last week when I was struggling.

I have alot of help and support from my doctor,crisis team,psychiatrist and C.P.N

especially my C.P.N she has been brilliant :D during my last crisis she saw me twice a week.

I'm very lucky to live in the U.K because we have the N.H.S.

julie67 :D

i used to have a lot of support, my psychologist was great, but i went through an episode where i hated everyone and everything so i left him. I regret it. Since i left him a year and half ago i have been on waiting list to see a psychitherapist. The psychologist has said that once i see the new therapy and it is finished with then i can defo go back and see him. I am half tempted to say i dont wantt o wait for therapy anymore and just go back and see him again, but i have been waiting so long for this therapy.

My cpn is a waste of time, she has cancelled the last 3 appoints i had with her and i really need to see her, deperately

i feel so alone.

Could be wrong, but going by the diagnoses that everyone lists, the people who report a good relationship with their treating health professionals are also diagnosed with a mental illness like bipolar, depression etc. In my experience, my shrink was wonderful when I was suicidally depressed. Very available and returned my calls if I was really struggling. Now I'm stable, her job is done so-to-speak, so I see her infrequently. With that said, she did refer me to a psychologist with the service...fortnightly visits. I asked to see the psychologist weekly and she agreed, so I can't complain.

Just seems a reflection of what has been discussed in another thread..a psychiatrist treats the acutely unwell, the biologically unwell and then moves them on if possible. Just the way it is guess (sadly).

Good to read that others have had positive experiences with doc's, etc. Really encouraging.

Sw

I guess we just live in an area where things are not so good, Im glad that other people have had good experiences, unfortunaltly I can not say the same about my experience. In our area of the country you actually have to attempt suicide before they respond, even if you have tried before.

We checked the league tables and our MHT was rated only 1 above the bottom critera, I hope it will change soon

((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))))

Ram

I don't see doctors over my mental health issues, because I don't really want to take meds.

64% of schizophrenics in third world countries heal before the first week, compared to 18% in civilized countries. I have found that if you can figure out the source of your depression or your anxiety, you can heal it very easily. You all need to focus on monitoring your emotions. There is nothing in particular that you are suposed to feel, but you should see what you feel. If you feel great anxiety or depression, or both, then you should bring out your emotions and feel them. Feel love for people, and feel warmth and calmness again. Feel nature's ways take you on a journey. Focus your energy, anf create something. Forget all fear of falling and just fly. Evolve to your next level. If you live in America, you have all the reason in the world to feel depressed, because it's a pretty depressing contrie. If you don't dress this way, and if you don't act this way, and if you don't follow this religion, then you may have this desease. Fuck that. why shouldn't we feel depressed? why shouldn't we be anxious and paranoid? why shouldn't we hallucinate and trip out of our asses from time to time? That is what makes us humans, and not machines that repeat the same simplistic actions over and over again. That being said, America, and some other contries, but mainly America, is a place where you have all the freedom in the world to feel depressed and anxious, because it's a pretty messed up place. I have had very few friends who would stick up for me in America, compared to many amazingly good friends in Argentina. Same with my parents. If you feel like no one likes you, then maybe yo don't have a psychological disorder, maybe it's time to make a change in the place where you live.

I have no praise for mental health systems that want to feed everyone meds. are you feeling depressed? take this. Anxious? take this drug. Too many drugs and not enought searching with our minds.

every psychological disorder, or almost any, can be cured without drugs. Once you are cured, you have evolved to a next level of existance, and attained great wisdom.

If a mental system can cure someone without medications, then that's the system I have praise for. A system to make humans evolve to their next level.

I think i was a little in love with my cpn of years ago, she listened and helped me out of myself

My old therapist too, she was brill, helped me take responsibility for myself, challenge myself and my views. Sad i had to stop seeing her but things have to move on.

Im lucky to have had good support, people who explored with me and didn't feed me bull...not alot anyway, we're all human :P

every psychological disorder, or almost any, can be cured without drugs. Once you are cured, you have evolved to a next level of existance, and attained great wisdom.

Hi One/w/n

While can I agree with you in principle, I doubt very much had I not undertaken a course of meds I would be here today to be enjoying such an evolutionary experience.

There were/are aspects of my 'disorder' that prooved utterly out of my control and were forensic in nature. Great wisdom is useless if your dead...and simply a burden if your locked in gaol for 50 years.

Meds have allowed me to address those parts of BPD et al, that my mind, conscience and will couldnt affect. Allowing me the freedom and more importantly, the time to set in place new neurological pathway structures and emotional strategies etc. They've allowed me to sleep at night, enforcing time for my brain to rest and have provided the time free of psychotic and emotional distortion I needed in order to gain new insight, perspectives and awarenesses that I was simply not able to achieve unassisted. They litteraly saved my life...and the lives of those around me. Meds are only a prison if I allow them to be.

I found that my fear of meds and fear of humbling myself, admitting i couldnt do it alone, and my resistance to accepting that I needed help, was far more destructive to me than the meds themselves have prooven to be. I can say honestly, that I have not been in any way imparied on my spiritual and emotional journey's, or in my pursuit of self discovery by their use, in fact, they have enabled me to heal in ways and at depths that were not possible to conceptualise otherwise.

Maybe others havent, but I came upon a massive wall of neurology and biology when I began my journey to heal, self help and grow. Limits that were 'naturally' there, not self manufactured blocks or contrived avoidances. I found out through that harrowing time, and the very hard way I might add, that there is a limit to what I can humanly control and 'think' my way through. And, in understanding that, I saw very quickly, that it was trying so desperately to do it all by myself that was partly to blame for my initial state in the first place.

I found I couldnt solve the problem by using the problem..and the problem was my mind. Its ok to ask for help today..to not be able to fix it all myself...to have needs I cant meet and need help to address them...and to accept help when its offered. That is the greatest wisdom born from my experience that I have embraced.

just my 2c...ymmv

blue

~*" wisdom comes to Sophia, as Sophia comes to wisdom*~

Hi One/w/n

While can I agree with you in principle, I doubt very much had I not undertaken a course of meds I would be here today to be enjoying such an evolutionary experience.

There were/are aspects of my 'disorder' that prooved utterly out of my control and were forensic in nature. Great wisdom is useless if your dead...and simply a burden if your locked in gaol for 50 years.

Meds have allowed me to address those parts of BPD et al, that my mind, conscience and will couldnt affect. Allowing me the freedom and more importantly, the time to set in place new neurological pathway structures and emotional strategies etc. They've allowed me to sleep at night, enforcing time for my brain to rest and have provided the time free of psychotic and emotional distortion I needed in order to gain new insight, perspectives and awarenesses that I was simply not able to achieve unassisted. They litteraly saved my life...and the lives of those around me. Meds are only a prison if I allow them to be.

I found that my fear of meds and fear of humbling myself, admitting i couldnt do it alone, and my resistance to accepting that I needed help, was far more destructive to me than the meds themselves have prooven to be. I can say honestly, that I have not been in any way imparied on my spiritual and emotional journey's, or in my pursuit of self discovery by their use, in fact, they have enabled me to heal in ways and at depths that were not possible to conceptualise otherwise.

Maybe others havent, but I came upon a massive wall of neurology and biology when I began my journey to heal, self help and grow. Limits that were 'naturally' there, not self manufactured blocks or contrived avoidances. I found out through that harrowing time, and the very hard way I might add, that there is a limit to what I can humanly control and 'think' my way through. And, in understanding that, I saw very quickly, that it was trying so desperately to do it all by myself that was partly to blame for my initial state in the first place.

I found I couldnt solve the problem by using the problem..and the problem was my mind. Its ok to ask for help today..to not be able to fix it all myself...to have needs I cant meet and need help to address them...and to accept help when its offered. That is the greatest wisdom born from my experience that I have embraced.

just my 2c...ymmv

blue

~*" wisdom comes to Sophia, as Sophia comes to wisdom*~

The sad part is. Society is so too fuct to accept people with disorders, thus causing more problems for people like me and you. I am greatful I went through all of my chaos, because it tought me a lot, but if society weren't so ignorant and selfish, they would have realized there was something wrong with me and helped me.

I think it was quite obvious that I was going through depression every day in my last period class. But people were obviously too much into their crap to realize it. And I say this from an unbiased point of view.

My mom had a boss that went schizophrenic, but the thing is, no one bothered to help her, even though everyone knew she was completely delusional and she had admitted to hallucinate. My mom had to many problems thrown at her by the government and their immigration deals to even worry about her, and everyone else had similar things going on.

Yea, meds might help someone who is at the edge of suicide, but if there are so many people getting to the edge, then obviously, something is wrong with society.

And people take meds when they don't need them, which makes it all the worst.

Like I said, if a health care system can restrain from meds as much as posible, then thats good. But society and the government play a big part on people's health.

• 9 months later...

Oh my God - I could not angree with you more! In my opinion the MH system has damaged me more than my rapist, violent paedophile father.

I have actually just started a site for people to leave their concerns. The system needs reforming!

Its www.traumatised.org

Let me know what you think!

None at all but Im delighted that Drews team has succeeded! :D

My experiance is that despite everyone saying the system needs to chand the bosses wont because treatment and support costs money! :lol: If you end up killing yourself then that your choice! The fact that they have driven you to it, by not giving carers training or putting you in inappropriate housing, next to a railway track, or just putting the phone down each time you phone! Will not only be lost and forgotton...... but also supported by the idiots in charge who put their meals before their clients!

The system produces inacurate reports to allow them to abuse, and reduce services! Until you just give up!.... or decide the battle is to one sided to survive! :angry: ... Me angry ?... Dead right I am!

Stuart-G

Im not liking the fact that you are resurrecting old posts in order to advertise your own website. Every post you have made, has promoted your website. Probably lacking in etiquette.

I had a cpn and psych last year but got rid of them 'cos I had never been in the mental health system before and just didn't understand it. Now I understand it and I am totally on my own with no support, ready to do what ever I want to myself. I f you have got the support - think hard about giving it up 'cos believe me it's really lonely on your own and you are far more going to kill yourself with out any support !

I think the m.h services are ok..... Its the crisis team that let it down. I have seen them before and one of them was laughing at me. Other times I have told them im going to o.d, theyve let me go and do it..... So I dont no....

The crisis team I saw at a local psych hospital last year were fab. But its the CMHT in our area that lets the system down. I won't ever get back in the local mental health team 'cos they hate me. There are people with all sorts of serious mental health illness who say and do vile things to them, but when it comes down to it they think you are just scum for being BPD. I just can't understand it, but a lot of BPD people seem to be saying the same thing. I have told my husband to really kick up a fuss after my death 'cos I never received the right help from them.

I am lucky to have a good crisis team at my local A&E and last time they gave me a number to ring if at crisis point (which will be pretty soon i think). Also i cannot complain about Mental Health team as they have been very good and i have had lots of support and not treated any differently.

I know that this varies in different areas. Someone said that they are trying to progress people out of the system in some way. It's called the 'Recovery Approach' or something like that. Just found out at group on Monday.

Sharonx

Archived