Mental Health Forums

Any Praise For The Mental Health System?

amazinggrace31

Yes, I think you are sicker with any involvement from the mental health services. But you have to experience them and their crass attitudes to realise this point.

I agree. I guess when you pay for mental health services you get better service and if you don't like it you move on. However with crisis team and the like, if they are the only people available in your area, then you really have no choice but to stick with them until you realise that they make things worse not better. When I told this to another health professional, she told me that she hears that quite often unfortunately.

Basically the crisis team are only interested in social control of people who have schizophernia by forcing them to have depo injections weekly so that they do not bother society. Its all about social control and not about helping people who are mentally ill. I even studied this at uni.

I bothered them not because I want their help but because I wanted to know what 5 out of the 9 criteria I met for BPD and they would not let me know saying they are nurses. They are highly disorganised too. If you call one of them who promised you to follow up your question they do not pass on the message and they have a stupid policy in not letting you know when the person will work next. They hang up on you when you demand they answer your questions. I feel a million times more relaxed now that I have cut off all contact with them. If I have a crisis, I know I have other organisations like a helpline to contact.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had had some emotionally-scarring experiences with mental health "professionals"....you just wouldn't believe some of the things that have been said/done..then again, I believe you would!!!!!!!!

That said, I have also had positive experiences....people who really DID care and were supportive. Interestingly, I'm seeing a pastoral counselor now, and on Friday we were discussing this type of issue. She acknowledged that many professionals see/hear "borderline" in a very negative manner and attach the label with the person without getting to know the person. She is firmly against that. Obviously she has been one of the positive ones. I am extremely grateful to the positive ones.

I have been told by the crisis team that if I was suicidal it is my choice - they know that I was in a coma only 2.5 months ago and this is how they respond to me.

I stopped contacting them as I have more pride then that.

I have called a suicide prevention helpline and even though they are only volunteers with a few weeks training they are so compassionate and professional - it is so ironic that the ones who get paid to help people in crisis remain so indifferent yet there are others who take their own free time to help people and offer them support.

Also Anne, I agree borderline gets a bad rap, but don't forget that all people with mental illness are treated like crap within the health system. You only have to compare a cancer ward with a psychiatric ward and you can see the difference in staff attitude/ psyhical environment etc.

I personally would rather die than get help from people who see me as just a "borderline" - in fact I see those people as not only arrogant and judgemental and I would not want to take the advice they offer (if any) as it is obvious they don't know enough about mental illness to be able to help me. In fact I think if they can't show enough care and compassion for all people in mental illness than they are really in the wrong job and I would advice them to find another profession and do people with borderline and other mental illness a huge favour - they really need to be told that

ICU: Whoops....I messed up, meant to add the reply up there right after the quote, so consider this the reply. I heartily heartily agree with the bold-faced part of your reply, and I truly understand. TOTALLY. Maybe THOSE assholes will be in crisis someday, then they'll get a taste of their own medicine...THEN they'll understand!!!!!

I'm so glad you have found some good support now...and again, I understand that as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I have crippling depression,suicidal thoughts and lack of self worth with BPD and think the mental health services everywhere stink, private , NHS ,other countries none have helped many have made me worse .

I have just spent 7 weeks in hospital ,and what do I feel now I am free ...suicidal angry and hoplessly empty with no future , a rootless zombie .

i am very scared now , I have no where to hide and no hope of real help ..if I knew what that was if it hit me!

My dad sees an army psychiatrist, hes the top one of the UK and he is brillaint but he has alot of people to see so my dad doesnt get to see him often and he has to travel.

However he can phone him any time and when I have gone on the visits with my dad the psychiatrist takes photos of the family so that he gets to know all of us. problem is hes getting older and it makes me wonder who all of these army men will get to see then as they rely on him so much.

My dad has seen some useless psychatrists in his time one even told him to bark like a dog lol

What I am unhappy about is a family friend has been put in prison yet his offence was due to his mental illness, I have to say tho the doctors did back him. However I dont think the panel at court should make a decision on what happens to a person who is mentally ill there not experienced doctors.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't worry, they do not access any of these sites 'cos they are so up their own arses !!!! I don't give a toss who see's this !!! They are sopposed to help people but they don't.

Thanks, I was having a really bad night ! Feel a bit more positive as I am going back to a theraputic cummunity soon. I just can't stand these mood swings and on no medication.

"Basically the crisis team are only interested in social control of people who have schizophernia by forcing them to have depo injections weekly so that they do not bother society. Its all about social control and not about helping people who are mentally ill. I even studied this at uni."

But ICU... I have schizophrenia and I am not forcibly given injections every week. The only time I have ever had injections is when I am in hospital psychotic and acting out (therefore require them). Given I know many on weekly (or even monthly) injections but its not the case for every schizophrenic. In fact a popular medication for this illness (clozaril aka clozapine) is taken orally under a program.

Archived