Mental Health Forums

Hello

Cathy O'Rourke

Hello to all,

Have been browsing the site for a couple of weeks now and like the level of support shown here.

Im trying to do abit of personal research and wondered if anyone out there is on medication?

What medications seem to be the norm for BPD?. Im on 15MG's of Escitalopram at the moment but not feeling any great benefit.

Locum GP was helpful but abit aloof to BPD and personality disorders in general. Have been with therapist for 5 years now and have made good progress but still feel Im missing somethin.

Best wishes to all.

Cath

Citalopram, an antidepressant did not work for me so they put me on depakote which is a mood stabiliser and now im on epelim which is the same thing but a slow release version, i just started it last night.

It depends on the person really as some people say it does nothing for them and others think it works wonders.

How long have you been on meds for and has it been useful at all??

Thanks for that.

Ive been on anti-depressant medication on and off since I was 19 ( Now 36) Old Maid!!

Seroxat seemed to work the best for me but I know its contraversial now but think I may need a trip back to

the Dr's to discuss. The problems I have is weight gain as they seem to give me a ravenous appetite. But I suppose when

quality of life is at stake its a small price to pay.

Good Luck with the new Meds.

xx

A lot of people with BPD are on an anti depressant and a low dose of an anti psychotic. But really it differs for everybody what helps them as symptoms can vary. And what works for one might not work for the other.

Welcome by the way!!

Lilly

Weight gain is the one thing that stopped me from taking citalopram when i was on it, i was so scared that i would get even fatter than i am. Is it really that bad??

Plus i just dont like medication anyway. Did you find that you became dependant on it?

Thanks Peaches, Yeah I fight against taking it all the time actually. I feel inadequate when I take it because I don't want to have to rely on it but then when I come off it I don't function well so I go back on it. I don't know whether this is withdrawal or just the illness recurring. But Im now coming round to the fact that if I had diabetes I would take meds so what is the difference.

Think its still a personal goal for me to function without meds but if I need to take somethin i will. I just have to watch the sugar cravings coz I end up gorging on choccies and biscuits and comfort foods and then I feel guilty. (But its nice too....Sometimes)

xx

I hear that, i think the reason why im taking it is because every so often i have a major breakdown that last for a short period of time but the consequences are everlasting so im tryin to stablalise my mood, i have a gym membership lol but because of the frequent changes in mood, i cant stick to it. Its a terrible cyle!

But yea my favourtie at the moment is jaffa cake lol

Yup got the gym membership, havent been for months, keep saying I'll go tomorrow.

Do you a deal. If you go, I will. ( AND YOU CAN HAVE A JAFFA CAKE AFTER COZ YOU WILL HAVE EARNED IT!)

P.s I can connect with the breakdowns every so often, happens to me too and your right I think the meds stabilise things don't they.

Thanks Peaches, nice to hear your experiences too.

Ok then your on, but we have to go by sunday or we both lose and no jaffa cake rewards lol

How long have you known you were bpd ? Me only about 5 months!

Sometimes i think im just pretending!

Deal. Im packing me Gym kit tonite.

I sort of knew somethin was up from very early age, my mum suffered very badly with mental illness but of course years ago the resources werent there so as a family we muddled through but it has affected me and every one of my siblings in some way But my therapist only really started to talk about BPD in the last 12 months and my reactions to things do make sense now.

Are you getting any support yourself..Therapist or Support worker? If so how do you find it?

Cath

Yeah im getting support, i am with a community mental health team but then they are not psychologists and my social worker there doesnt really do the whole emotional support thing so its still hard. I am due to start group therapy soon but until then i am really struggling to get by when i have a low point. My social worker helps me with applications and bills etc and planning and getting ready for my therapy but other than that he is crap, i cant even tell him personal things about myself as i do have trust issues. Plus he doesnt look as bpd as a mental illness.

So really its just me trying to deal with the whole thing. He actually gets on my last nerve. But hey!!!Life init.

Right i expect an update by sunday as to whether you went gym and a detailed explanation of what you did when you were there lol!

I better pacl my own bag :D:D:D :D

Hey Cathy -

Welcome to the site. As you can tell people are friendly and supportive here. I hope

that you continue to find the support you are looking for. Meds work differently for

each person, its great that you are sticking with therapy it helps a lot. Talk to you

soon.

Marchmadness

Smash, speak to you soon.

I know you prob get support from the many members of the site but if you need to offload you are welcome to e-mail me.

Take Care

xx

Welcome Cathy! Hope you will continue to find the site a supportive and friendly place to be-and I hope you both get to the gym!

Glad to know I'm not the only one who thinks I'm just pretending, that I am just a great lazy fraud.

I have tried so many anti depressants, but have bad side effects with them all. Keep trying every now and then, but right now am on so much meds for my recent heart attack, blood disorder and low thyroid that I'm giving the psych meds a rest. The only thing that has ever really made a difference is therapy anyway, but sometimes you can be so depressed you can't use the therapy...

I hope you will find the best combo for you

Is

I am taking 50mg sertraline (Zoloft - antidepressant, antiobsessive) twice a day, 50mg trazadone(Desyrel - anti-depressant, sleep aid) at night, and 2.5mg olanzapine (Zyprexa - anti-psychotic) at night... the Zoloft and Desyrel together seem to be working good.. I just started the Zyprexa last night :D

And Welcome!!!

R

Weight gain is the one thing that stopped me from taking citalopram when i was on it, i was so scared that i would get even fatter than i am. Is it really that bad??

Plus i just dont like medication anyway. Did you find that you became dependant on it?

I've been on citalpram and did not suffer any weight gain from it, it was mirtazapine that did that for me. I'm currently on venlafaxine(ad) carbamazapine(mood stabilizer) and buspirone(anti anxiety), but will be having a meds review on friday as I've been having almost daily migraines since I've been on the carbamazapine.

Good luck with the gym, I hope you make it, I've been trying to motivate myself to go for the last 2 weeks, but haven't made it yet.

Thanks Guys, its comforting to know that Im not alone in struggling to find a medication that helps rather than hinders.

Thanks for taking the time to post a message.

P.S. Still havent made the gym yet but Im THINKIN about goin!

I keep promisin myself I will re-join the gym, I've put on 3 1/2 stones in 18 months!! (The last stone in about 6 weeks - since I quit my job - and found out about BPD diagnosis - cos I've been wallowing!!) It's all very very bad for my self esteem!!

I'm in favour of a mutual exercise support thing!!!

Archived