Mental Health Forums

10 Good Things About Bpd

ramfan007

Hi All

We all know the negative side of BPD but what about the posotive side, here are my 10 good things about BPD

1) Ive met some great people on this site (wouldnt have been here otherwise)

2) Im much more caring and empathetic because of it (you have to be one to know one)

3) Its helped me achieve some good things in my life (becuase im so obsessed with perfection I always get top marks)

4) Its has made me who I am (kind, caring, loving)

5) I met my wife because of it (didn't know it at the time but BPD split up my first marriage)

6) I know how to appreciate a good day (becuase the bad days can be dark)

7) Im open and honest (had to be for therapy)

8) I can see people for who they are (i dont hold it against you again down to my therapy)

9) I can cope better than most in a crisis (i have to be able to becuase I get so many)

10) It helped me to find my path in life (new career as a pyschotherapits which I start training for in sept)

wow that was relativly easy to come up with 10

double wow, I just re-read that I am actually starting to love myself

can anyone think of any others

((((((((HUGS))))))))) for you all

Ram

...because of having BPD...( and therapy!)

1. I am able to be honest with myself on levels I had no idea existed.

2. I am able to learn, and view the worlds physical and spiritual in multiple perspectives.

3. I am more aware of and responsible for my impacts on others...and myself.

4. I am able to love empathise and live in creative ways.

5. I am able to challenge my own assumptions and opinions.

6. I am able to give to others and to myself, on levels others dont or cant or are too afraid too.

7. I am able to feel my emotions and connect deeply, passionately with the experience of 'just' living...living truthfully within myself and in full surrender to the Life around and within me, good bad and indifferent.

8. I have an immense grattitude for the little things...simple things...really really small things.

9. I am able to bend time, see music, hear colours, taste emotion, and experience an holistic sense of wonder and awe that others call 'crazy' but I call really being alive.

10. I am a growing individual a part of and apart from the whole...a whole and yet unfinished lifeform growing into being......and I like that...I like that a lot.

thankyou!

@}-->-

blue

~*when there is no wind...row*~

I've learned to live moment to moment because you never know what crisis will happen next. SO I appreciate the quiet moments and really experience them, just having dinner or watching television with my husband are the good parts to life.

I also learned not to prioritize prestige so much. I am on my own path, and I can't compare it with others' paths. This one is harder to integrate though and sometimes I forget.

I think I've developed a deeper appreciation for my humanity.

If I hadn't had BPD, I wouldn't have explored actvities out of school that have enriched my life, and I wouldn't have a relationship with piano. It would just be work, work, work.

Good thread! I like trying to find the silver lining! ;)

arwen

you positive person ram

ditto people meet on site

being able to have feelings ( on a good day)

valuing sheep plants hills not end of world that cant climb them

What a wonderful idea to post this! I think sometimes we forget there are good things about having problems too.

How about this one, I know now that my friends are real friends because they have stuck by me.

Lilly

1. My relationship with my mum has improved because I have a dx she is now more empathetic towards me.

2. If I hadn't had been hospitalized I wouldn't have met a very good friend.

3. I'm able to achieve top grades at uni, due to being a perfectionist.

4. I've learnt who my friends are, some people have abandoned me, but obviously they weren't true friends.

5. I have met some lovely people on this site and another one that I go on.

6. I have learnt to appreciate the highs, because the lows are so bad.

7. I have learnt that not all people in the mental health team are not dismissive, my cpn is fantastic.

8. I have had to face things from my past, to learn to move on to the future.

9. I can appreciate how wonderful this world can be, little things like birds and nature

10. I have found out just what a fantastic person my young son is as he tries to cope with me and my illness.

Thanks Ram for showing me the positive side of BPD. Now I'll challenge myself into thinking of ten of my own.

1. It helped me see that i was not just a "wierdo" who was over sensitive and out of control, I had a diagnosis and there was a reason for my wierdness.

2. I felt less alone with my symptoms because I was able to join this sight and relate to others with the same problems.

3. I feel like I fit in somewhere instead of being this isolated island of a person that no one understood.

4. it changed the direction of my therapy and I was able to recieve support, DBT and counselling specifically for it.

5. mental illness as a whole has left me a much wiser person. I can see things from a compassionate perspective that the "sane" can't fathom and I'm able to use this compassion to reach out to other mental health patients that are often written off as not reachable and not helpable.

6. I've learnt a bit more about who I am inside. I still may not be sure, but I have learnt to look at and learn about my thinking (mindfulness)

7. My suffering brings me closer to God because sometimes He is the only one I can turn to with the issues becasue he's the only one that can really understand them. I'm glad I know God on this deeper level.

8. I get to train my therpist on how to deal with a DID/bpd patient (I'm his first DID patient).

9. it's given me a drive to help improve mental health in my area of the world.

10. I love you all and relate to you all because I share these symptoms with you. I'm glad I know you guys.

Paine.

Great topic! :)

1. I´ve had a life rich of experiences of all kind thanks to the urge to experiment that BPD gives me

2. I´ve dared to do many things others wouldnt, definatelly have had more fun than others due to my lack of inhibitions

3. I see the world with different glasses and I love it

4. The many partners I´ve had have made my life interesting and I have learnt from each one of them

5. I can be emphatic to people and be a good support because "I have been there"

6. When I am hipo-manic I can be vey creative and a great sense of humor

7. I am in this forum with really amazing, caring people

8. BPD doesnt allow me to get stucked in a routine. moodswings can be bad and boredome at jobs too but routines for me are worse

9. When my mood is up I believe I can achieve anything

10. I am very open minded and that has helped me embrace different ideas, concepts, criterias, religions, life styles, etc.

Thanks all for being here :)

This reminds of me something my doctor would have me do every time I started complaining about how bad things were. He told me to start a Daily Gratitude Journal and to list at least 5 things in it every night before I went to sleep. It was amazing how much better this would make me feel.

10 good things about having BPD.....

1) Having developed a deep empathy for other people's pain and being able to offer some support.

2) Learning to be patient -- because recovery takes a long time.

3) Being grateful for all the small joys in life knowing that things could always be worse.

4) Being on Disability income gave me the opportunity to be a full-time mother to my two children for the past 14 years.

5) Getting to know my doctor/ therapist.

6) Getting to see the inner working of a psych hospital (about 15 times there).

7) Having the opportunity to take life slowly and enjoy it.

8) Getting to read and learn new things.

9) Getting to meet the wonderful people on this forum

10) Having the ability to say that no matter what happens, all is well with my soul.

tcb

That's really quite inspirational, alas, at the moment I'm finding it really difficult to see the good things of BPD. I can't have proper therapy yet, because I'm moving away to university soon and it's really really tough on me, as I find it so hard to open up to anyone and I've finally found a psych who i feel comfortable with and I can't keep him as my psych. I've never really had anything go right for me...but then I try to remember a story of the field mouse whose home is being destroyed and so a person picks him up and brings him to safety but the mouse gets sad and annoyed for being taken away, but it doesn't realise that it was done for a good reason but it's so small that it couldn't see it like that...but even when thinking that I can never seem to see why all the bad things happen to me...BPD just seems such a curse. :(

Archived