Mental Health Forums

Do You Tell People About Your Illness?

amazinggrace31

hey

Only a few people know about my BPD, alot more know that I suffer depression. I kept it a secret for a while before teling people, now I have two friends and my boyfriend who knows. I dont want anyone else to. I told them because there my closest friends, and the ones who end up looking after me when I cant look after myself.

I dont want people to know, well i didnt want people to know because I was scared about the repercussions on my career and on my life as a whole.

My family dont know, and I dont want them to. Its bad enough they know I have depression, and they found out about self harm but they dont know I still do it.

sunshinex

• 3 months later...

i dont really come out with it as i am petrified if i let it out it wont be part of me anymore..then who would i be without a past?

lou x

I struggle with this issue.

For me, I consider the BPD diagnosis to be intertwined with the abuse. And I dont want to talk about that with most people.

However, I also think that the abuse wasnt my fault, and keeping it a secret is wrong, so I should tell people.

So, whatever happens, if I tell or keep quiet, I believe I have done the wrong thing.

I tend to err on the side of caution, and not tell anyone, unless I trust them completely.

• 4 weeks later...

:mellow: As far as everyone in my town knows, i have been suffering a prolonged virus for nearly 2 years, hmm you would have thought someone may have guessed by now, but, no i dont tell people, some come right out and ask me, why are you shaking so much? or why are you doing that? I even find myself appologising for my mh issues. i would love to just say "hey look ive got mh issues and i also have a tremor". i think the world is too judgemenal. if i had a broken leg, would they move their chair to one side and give me strange looks? i have had to tell my husband, (i kept waking him in the night by screaming random things!) he checks i have took my meds now. wonder if anyone else keeps the house awake screaming??

• 2 weeks later...

Just a few of my close friends know everything about my illness, chronic Depression and emotional unstable BPD. Mainly due to the fact i have ended up in psych hosp a couple of times and they cared for my son. I don't believe everyone should know. Other people know that i have depression and so does my son, who is 11. He only needs to know minimal.

Archived