Mental Health Forums

Venlafaxine-getting Rid Of It

lavoisier

Hey Paul,

This could be a blip from coming off the venlafaxine and what you have described in the physical could be withdrawel effects. I came off venlaflaxine cold turkey recently due to blood pressure problems and was put on 20mg of prozac to. Venlafaxine is a more heavy duty anti-depressent then prozac, you could maybe benefit fromt the prozac been upped to 40mg thats what I am planning to do. You have to remember the venlafaxine would have been helping the depression significantly and you are probably just having a blip. But you will get through it and it will get better. I would suggest going back to your doctor and asking for the prozac to be upped to 40mg just for a while until you get back on your feet. Does this sound like something you could do?

sunshinex

Thanks Sunshine for a most supportive of replies.I feel bettter knowing that it could just be temporary. One thing I neglected to mention is that my anxiety has gone through the roof and so my social interactions are worse than ever.

I mentioned to my GP about getting an increased dose and he said I needed to wait a month before it would be considered. Having discussed this with my partner and after what you have said, we are going to visit a differernt GP tomorrow to see if we can do it differently.

I admire you for coming off cold turkey, that must have been hell for you. I hope you are not doing too badly from it now.

Thanks once again for your reply it means so much.

Paul

Hey Paul

anxiety is also a side effect of prozac hun, but it does wear off after a couple of weeks. But it does sound like you need some more support with meds etc just till you get yourself levelled out again.

I hope it improves for you.

(venlafaxine is hell to come off cold turkey! Never do it)

sunshinex

how bad was it on the venlafaxine? i can't imagine going through withdrawals like that if i knew what was in store. i would miss too much work. how do you do it? you should feel somewhat triumphant. i would wimp out. almost definitely. good job. i couldn't even start celexa and invega because they doped me up too bad and quit immediately without waiting for them to do any good. if you have made it this far i am impressed.

audra

I'm sure you would cope if you had to, although I admit it is a struggle some of the time. This place is a godsend.

I don't work so I'm in a position where it is one less thing to worry about. I admire you for holding down a job-well done.

Hope things are working out for you.

Paul X

hi

most of it sounds like the withdrawal but some of the physical signs could be u coming down with a nasty virus that is trawling round most of england at the mo. if u feel no better physically by monday go to see this other GP u mention. (i mentioned the virus as im suffering yet again and many ppl i know how something similar)

keep ur chin up

tc x

Hullo Paul.

I wouldn't call it a blip, yes venlafaxine makes lots of people like me agitated, tearful, almost complete loss of working memory, no confidence to do anything.

The only thing for it is to take a pure antidepressant namely one that combats depression when and as you take it and doesn't have any other effects. Some apparently do exist but it can be difficult finding someone to prescribe or dispense them. This sort of depression is way beyong the Eye-Q and rhodiola rosea and the .025 mg risperidone regime which I seemed to be thriving on up to a few months ago (apart from what the citalopram did to me which was similar in some ways to the venlafaxine) then it was pains in the extremities from the stuff I tried in between. I have many demanding events mainly surrounding money and housing and health and am not up to them.

I don't think pharmacists and doctors as a class of people are serious about antidepressants. They don't organise themselves to be. If your life has been ruined by venlafaxine, it feels like you may not get it back. Just stay calm. Talk more and more, to supportive people in your life if there are any e.g hopefully here.

Archived