Mental Health Forums

? Diagnosis From Unhelpful Phsychiatrist

skates

I was diagnosed with mild BPD by the community mental health pysichiatrist when he was really pushed by my mum. He was very cagegy about giving any diagnosis saying that my symptoms were just due to a bad relationship I had been in and that they would get better now I have left it. He is right they have so do I have BPD or not? I am now only seen by my GP who just sees me monthly to give me antidepressants and is only interested in checking that I haven't self harmed in the last month as he is normally running late and wouldn't have time to talk to me even if I wanted to talk to him. I am very confused but don't really know where to turn esspecially as I work in the health service and want to train as a nurse. I am scared that a diagnosis could prohibit me form being accepted as the occupational health are very wary of mental health problems. My current boyfriend just sees that things have got better at the moment and doesn't want to face up to the fact that I probably have a long term condition and could relapse and I just want help so that I don't constantly cycle round repeating the bad decisions I have made before.

Sorry to bother you all but I don't know where else to turn

Good to hear you want to train to be a nurse

the diagnosis isn't going to stop that

however, its really down to how you actually are....

what is going on in your life, and how stable you are to cope with the demands of the job.....

Glad to hear you are doing ok at the moment.....

take care

Z

My experience has been that the condition can vary according to external factors in your life. I have had periods where the symptoms were very mild, but only because I wasn't being triggered by anyone at the time. As soon as something happens that affects my sense of security (eg feeling rejected by a bf) my symptoms return as bad as ever. Obviously I don't know enough about you to say if this will be the case for you, and it sounds like it might just be a case of waiting to see if things continue to remain stable for you, but I just thought I would share how its been in my experience.

I hope that is of some help, though it may not be the news you wanted to hear. I'm sorry. I do hope that you have a happier time now you are out of the bad relationship.

Moontrees x

Archived