Mental Health Forums

Flashbacks

Alisonisanutter

I am dont know what to do has anyone got any advise i am seeing flashbacks of sexual assaults against myself that happened in the past when i shut my eyes to try and go to sleep.

Then the next morning i sleep in and im late for work.

Please any suggestions on what to do would help alot.

Oh thats a hard one! And must be hard to deal with too!

Maybe you could do some relaxation technique´s when youre in bed. Like a breathing excersize or something, google it and I am sure you´ll find lots.

I also suggest talking to your T about it, he,she might have some suggestions for you.

Im sorry I couldnt be of more help to you.

Lilly

Hi Alison -

Great topic - Flashbacks get them all the time, esp. around anniversary dates. I do suggest that you talk to your doc about

them. Maybe a reason why they are coming up like they are. I understand how hard they can be for you, and just at the

time you are trying to relax and go to sleep. My heart goes out to you. One thing my therapist has suggested was to write

down, what is going on, and then give myself permission to put it aside and deal with it tomorrow or when I see her. Lilly

suggested the breathing, yeah that one too, also this is gonna sound a bit crazy - (but what the hey) when you are laying in

bed, don't let your eyes look up, (yeah strange I know) but studies have showed that when someone is thinking they are looking

up, so when you find yourself with the memories, try do keep your eyes in a downward spot. Hey come on - give me a break

here, just giving you a suggestion. I find that for myself, I concentrate so much on my eyes being down, that eventually I do

fall asleep. It doesn't work all the time, but there are times it does help. Try it, and see, let me know -

Talk to you later

Marchmadness

[hi there, i dont know really what to suggest but i myself have been struggling with flash abcks, and the thing is nothing has really triggerd mine, i got married on saturday, and all of a sudden all these bad flash backs have come flooding back an i dont know how to deal with them ,yeah i think writeng down feelings and stuff helps as thats what i do already,my heart go`s out to you as i know how hard it is, sorry i am not much help but i just wanted you to know that your not alone, ,,

I have similar flashbacks, but my advice isn't good (I just binge on meds to sleep without thinking about it). Hopefully they will stop, but I can't really tell you how.

We tend to think of memories when trying to fall asleep. Since I have no good memories, I get stressed and depressed when I try to sleep. So I resort to amphetamines to sleep.

I use my mp3 player ... I listen to it and it helps me relax, keeps my mind from wondering until I fall asleep. I am also on topamax for my PTSD but the music helps a whole lot.....

When you are trying to sleep.. imagine a different place. A really nice place, where everyone is kind to you, and where you don't need money. You are this happy person, that everyone wants to talk to, you are so confident, and outgoing. Nothing bad ever happens in this place. Imagine that you are waking up in this place, imagine that you are lying on grass, and waking up, and others are waking up around you. You are the first person that they see. Then you meet your guide, and they will teach you about this place, and show you around. You look in the mirror, and you can look like anyone, and you can be any age you like, and you can be any dress size you want.

White Healer.

music quietly in the background.....

a teddy bear....

(yes, I know, I am 30odd - but.... it does help)

something that kind of reminds me that I'm not "in that place and time"

it is not happening......

Edward bear is well used

toys not allowed on bed as a child

presumably they reminded him I was a little kid

not an object....

Z

i agree with the mp3 player i have one to help me get to sleep and (usally) it really helps of course this depends on wether you can sleep with music on. i found not only that i could but i would better and quicker so its all good for me!

What I find helps me,if I have a flashback is to remind myself that the actual flashback isnt actually happening,here and now.That I am no longer that child.

Its daft things that bring me out of it.Like I can get myself aware of the fact I'm wearing jeans,or my hair is short,or I'm much taller than I was.I try and get aware of the differences.All these help bring me out of the flashback.

However I always feel that they happen at particular times.Trying to find out why they are happening,and to challenge it will help it not happen.

zarah.. i'm with you on the teddy bear!! my raccoon is the 1st thing that comes out when im flashbacking.. i even hold his little hand!!

i mainly cope by taking extra antipsychotics and vallium asap and get in bed where i feel safe and put on some new agey relaxation music on a loop.. that is if i can catch it in time..

if not unfortunitely i go to a really bad place and dissociate sometimes for 2 days and its a living hell. and all i want to do is sh to ground me .

luckily my bf has seen me through some bad flashbacks since ive been with him and cuddles and hair stroking seem to help, but sometimes when im alone i do the above..meds and teddy bears and i put avender oil on racoons head so i can sniff it as i cuddle him.

hugs ivy.. i feel for ya.. flashbacks suck.

that was a beautiful meditation White, ty

my flashbacks these days are usualy 'the unforgivables'..memories of things ive done or experienced that trigger shame and guilt emotions....its those emotions more than the images that seems to keep me up and afraid..unable to sleep or even rest some nights.

being diagnosed with ptsd helped point me in the right direction for help and support..and while its not much chop for some it seems..mindfulness techniques have been a key in helping me reduce the severity of my reactions to the images and the emotions they stimulate.

its a hard road sometimes....two steps forward four back n all that......sorry your hurting.... i hope you find something that works for you

@}-->--

blue

i will try the suggestions about soothing music and cuddling my big monkey might help i suppose

i will keep you all informed how this goes

what helps me is playing a little handheld electronic Sudoku game until my i can't keep my eyes open any more.

try getting some mindless thing that you can do in bed and do it 'til you fall asleep.

i would highly suggest a stuffed animal and music also to help get you through any flashbacks that may be unavoidable.

Archived