Mental Health Forums

Romanticising Mental Illness

pain-dance

Does anyone get sick of the way that the media romanticises and glamourises mental illness as some sort of creative force or even a spiritual gift, rather than telling it straight as the tragedy that it is. Films like "A Beautiful Mind" and celebrities like Russell Brand prostitute mental problems as some sort of legitimate selling point. I recently saw an episode of "Boulderdash and Piffle" and saw Jo Brand (an ex-nurse, for God's sake!) sitting with a group of mentally ill people, playing along with their fantasies, instead of challenging them to get real.

If a relative of mine were ill, I would not discuss religion, politics or amateur psychology with them, nor would I legitimise stupid behaviour (such as getting into debt or taking drugs): I would pressure them to get themselves better and get back into the real world where they belong.

Mental illness has been swept under the rug for so long, I reckon the pendulum swinging to the other extreme isn't so bad. I agree that challenging faulty thinking is what helps people get and stay well. Also think that finding the silver lining in a chronic illness gives people hope.

Sw

Mental illness has been swept under the rug for so long, I reckon the pendulum swinging to the other extreme isn't so bad. I agree that challenging faulty thinking is what helps people get and stay well. Also think that finding the silver lining in a chronic illness gives people hope.

Sw

I Agree

I like to think my mental probs make me more interesting so I guess I romantesize it a little too.

I don´t think there is anything wrong in seeing the positives but I agree that portraying it as just glamourous and such doesnt make it clear how bad it really is and how hard to live with.

Lilly

Does anyone get sick of the way that the media romanticises and glamourises mental illness as some sort of creative force or even a spiritual gift, rather than telling it straight as the tragedy that it is. Films like "A Beautiful Mind" and celebrities like Russell Brand prostitute mental problems as some sort of legitimate selling point. I recently saw an episode of "Boulderdash and Piffle" and saw Jo Brand (an ex-nurse, for God's sake!) sitting with a group of mentally ill people, playing along with their fantasies, instead of challenging them to get real.

If a relative of mine were ill, I would not discuss religion, politics or amateur psychology with them, nor would I legitimise stupid behaviour (such as getting into debt or taking drugs): I would pressure them to get themselves better and get back into the real world where they belong.

Im so amazed at your honest thinking

This was an eye-opener to me

never thought of it that way

But Yes your right

It is romanticised and glamourised

People love it and lap it up without any idea of the horror and pain that it entails

Your line of thought should be followed up

transending

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Yeah, that kind of pisses me off, it's a fucking tragedy, not a gift...I mean, i can understand from an artists point of view if a mentally ill patient made this beautiful picture depicting how they felt, but I don't agree in glamourizing it, and making it into the "cool" thing to be....

it is not cool to be sick....why don't people get that through their heads.....The whole mental health, labeling thing, is just disgusting to me...Why can't people accept it, and just walk away, not ignore it, but also not glamorize it....That's all I have to say....

well its a gift to people looking from the outside sometimes

though they just see the part that makes you

march to the beat of your own tune

thus making alotta creative geniuses & outta the box kinda thinking that sometimes enlivens stagnant situations & concepts

(its romanticizing poverty thats wayyyy more repellant to me, though thankfully you don't see this as often thankfully these days)

but for a full on embrace of head fuckery

i dont think youll ever see

its either this extreme or that

i think its something most just don't want to know too much about

its too far out of normal peoples' frame of reference

literally something they'll never get unless they've been there

glamorizing doesnt make me sick, mental illness is foreign, is alien, some fetishizing is normal

its the half assed hollywood

attempts to 'get it'

that piss me off

anyone see 'Girl Interrupted'? that movie makes me sick

these kind of message movies are like an outsider's viewpoint

correct in all the facts but lacking a true understanding, and with it, nothing but trite answers

and entreaties to 'get with it'

these kind of works sees us all as nothing BUT a freakshow

its after movies like this that i get why people who work on mental wards

seem so goddman uncaring & cold

we are martians to alot of them

Girl Interupted was based on a real story. The book came first, she wrote it based on her experiences when she was in a hospital in the 60s. Its not a good film for learning about BPD but it is one persons account. Who are we to argue with that?

People deal with their own mental illnesses in different ways. Russell Brand is a fantastic comedien who has a number of problems, of course people like him in the media are going to get stories on them just like everyone else. I agree with what was said about Jo Brand, she was a mental health nurse, she worked with a friend of mines mum. Crap at her job apparently.

People like Stephen Fry (has Bi Polar) is a fantastic advocate. He has raised awareness in a tasteful way about his condition and other mental illnesses.

I think the 'romanticising' of mental illnesses in magazines like Heat etc.... is on a par with them saying someones fat, then saying they are ill because they aren't eating enough. They don't care they never will. It is up to people who live with mental illnesses to raise awareness like Stephen Fry. Russell Brand hasn't gone the best way about things, but do most of us? (generally) He laughs about it because he is embarrassed, he is not responsible for the rest of us with MH issues. We are responsible for ourselves. Stephen Fry just may have more strength than Russel Brand. Caroline Ahearn has severe depression and it is reated wih ECT. She deals with it in private, her choice.

I may have missed the point looking back. The media have and will go on romanticising or reporting on mental illness. Sorry to bang on about Stephen Fry here, but I think he is a good example. I remember him saying he would never change having Bi - Polar, as it made him who he is, a fantastic, well read comedien.

I agree and I disagree with what you are saying.

Specifically, I disagree and I thought RUSSEL CROWE did an excellent job in A Beautiful Mind. It brings mental illness into the light more, although you still have yoo-hoos who have no idea what a mental illness means and write it off as "crazy talk"! But, regardless, I think some movies to a better job than others at making mental illness more known (hopefully in positive context with the idea of HOPE and RECOVERY).

I agree with you though on some levels that other movies do a down right poor job of portraying mental illness and can leave the public with a worse off view of those suffering from mental illness.

Great topic and great idea to throw around. Helped me work my brain some this evening! Keep up the good thinking!

M.

P.S. Oh, now tell me you just LOVE to watch Lifetime Movies then, riiight?? J/K! :)

Forgot what else I wanted to say,

I have a tendency to romanticize and over play my own mental illness, have ever since I have been in therapy. One day, I know I will come to terms with that and no longer suffer from mental illness but rather simploy RECOVER from it and that's it!

Ok, done now.

[ok sure thats one person's time with BPD

but i really hated the freakshow vibe of that movie it felt so very hollywood

and Angelina :wacko:

jesus throw your arms around and scream and you win a little gold man

blah

• 4 weeks later...

hmmm romanticizing mental illness.

i think im guilty, sadly tho.

*sigh*

all my life. . . ever since elementary school i've been labled "crazy" or "psycho". . .to this day. i can't live it down. i hate it until a few yrs ago when i gave up n let it get to me (the labeling.) now, i won't argue it. i feel so gross/sick about it tho. like i thrive to be as mental as i am even tho in truth, i'm hurtin so much from being ill and havin it be known or like i'm lettin my illness seep thru so ppl can see or something. i dunno.

i wish the stigmas weren't so hard to live with cuz it's hard enough livin w/myself.

. . . i let them get to me. . .

I choose romanticism over stigma every time. If the public can be educated to see that we are not all scary monsters then that's a good thing IMHO.

Archived