Mental Health Forums

Short-term Psychodynamic Therapy

Doctor Dysphoria

o, right...transparancy....transparancy of the transference...more blank screen stuff..hm, yeah...thank crunchie for integrative therapists...

will go read it...

lorna

I personally don't agree that 7-40 sessions can be that curative and recovery focused in the long term. You just don't get deep enough. (lorna on therapeutic soapbox-pardon, couch..and no, I've never had the therapy couch experience!)

:sofa:

lorna

No me either..always sitting up in a chair. Uncomfortable to say the least. Actually my last therapist and comfortable chairs. :D

yeah! you need to be comfy....

I was in a room -where I'm not in now for therapy-where there was one sqeaky chair, it was a real issue about who had it, and my anxieties about making a noise etc..

If I used a couch I'd probably fall asleep or dissociate.

lorna

For almost two years I would sit in this one particular seat in my sessions. She ha three chairs in her office and I always sat in the chair right next to the window and then one day she put something on the chair so I could not sit in that chair and I had to sit in the other one it felt rather uncomfortable. CHANGE!

it was a very small study with only 1 bpd tested, sure they got some results but u can hardly call them conclusive evidence..however its an idea and i also think 7-40 sessions in terms of LONg TERM mental health issues in most cases isnt reallly enough regardless of intensity..its like rush u in, sort u out, say goodbye...hmm....either way *my opinion*

Lady M---if that'd been me, my therapist prob would've said that if I really wanted to sit there I could move the thing on it! I have to practice being assertive!

Daisy --- I know what you mean. And what criteria were their results based on and what kind of research method etc. (was it client centred? doubt it) I still don't know about short term with psychodynamic therapy-its all based on relationship and trust-as any therapy is, but the whole thing about psychodynamic therapy is the dynamic and developmental issues and going to the roots of the issue and working it through in relationship. It takes time to build trust and relationship.

And, in my case, my Borderline issues and deep wounds weren't really evident that clearly until about 10 months into therapy.

I suppose it depends on individuals, and that's why research in therapy is really so subjective, I think.

Thats the first paragraph of my future dissertation over maybe!!!! :)

lorna

I don't know how many is enough. For me, I don't see that it will ever end completely. I always do better when I am in therapy. And better and better. It is when I am dumped that I crash.

:) "what, me, intelligent????who, me????" When I was 5 my class teacher told my mum I was bright (ie intelligent) but messy. Me? Messy? Well, somehow I picked up on that and the most unmessy person you could ever see.....but then, living with my daddy, any mess was (angry smilie)...and, the intelligence went???well, its still there, and I'm learning be messy and pour my emotions out.

"I'm a little tea pot....", sorry, feeling very 5 right now.....:)

Ver, remember, we won't dump you...we all need supportive relationships, contact, communication...

lorna

Archived