Mental Health Forums

Insomnia And Memory Loss.

lauren18808

About a year ago I started getting terrible insomnia, the type were you literally cant sleep except from when your body loses consciousness from fatigue. I could go up to nearly a week without sleeping before I'd just not be able to get out of bed. The weird thing was there was no particular reason for it, I had No nightmares, I didnt feel particularly unwell or out of sorts, other than I;d be slightly more down than usual. After a while my mum would let me use over the counter sleeping pills (she's been funny about letting me have easy access to medication even before I started ODing every now and then) and the problem was sorted. Now my mum doesnt have any medication in the house now it's become more evident that I might have a problem, and the insomnia is back. Not quite as bad, I'd say I'd get three decent nights of sleep a week, the rest I'll get to little to almost no sleep. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if they've got any advice for it at all. That doesnt necasarily include sleeping pills. I wouldnt usually ask but my college work has started to suffer for it. Which is annoying.

Another thing, which is more of a ponder really, it's not so much memory loss, it could just be me being easily distracted. Anyone else get the feeling time is 'speeding up' around them? Like you've been sat down for what feels like ten minutes and three hours have gone? And you have no real idea about whats happened in that time? Other than chatting to friends or just staring into space, but you can't really remember what you were thinking or talking about? Again this might just be me overreacting, but I just find it odd that it's happens.

Any advice or help would be very much appreciated.

-Lauren

Hi Lauren,

i’ve had the same insomnia problem, but not nearly as bad as you, a week without sleep must be bad! i’ve found it does affect memory, concentration, getting easily distracted etc, and for me definitely college work! i haven’t found a way to cure this yet (if anyone knows tell me!, although my memory and concentration problems also come with depression not just insomnia). what did help me getting to sleep was anti-depressants which were really sedating (infact went so was getting too much sleep a day, so off them now!). now just back to the insomnia lol, what’s been recommended to me to do is to go to bed and get up at the same time each day, go out everyday, eat healthily (life doesn’t always happen like that though does it!) some people find that aromatherapy can help. i have a little pot of Badger Balm which contains bergamot, ginger, rosemary, and lavender- all to help sleep, or as the pot says (and I love this) ‘a dreamy night balm rich with precious oils to calm, encourage, cheer and relax poetic badgers and other restless wanderers’

there’s a article on the main site about sleep disorders, have a look, also if you haven't seen your doctor about it, it might be worth it as its gone on so long.

http://www.bpdworld.org/sleeping_disorders.php

hope things get better soon and you find something that helps!

take care, jo xxx

I suffer from insomnia too, which is why I'm still sitting here at this ungodly hour...My p-doc's answer was sedatives...I'm wondering if it's possible to become addicted to them if you rely on them too much.

Like you've been sat down for what feels like ten minutes and three hours have gone?

I think everyone experiences this from time to time, hence the phrase 'Where's the time gone?'...Don't worry too much about it...Try to get some sleep instead! :P

i have a little pot of Badger Balm which contains bergamot, ginger, rosemary, and lavender- all to help sleep, or as the pot says (and I love this) ‘a dreamy night balm rich with precious oils to calm, encourage, cheer and relax poetic badgers and other restless wanderers’

Where'd you get that? Sounds dreamy!! :wub:

I have horrible anxiety just trying to get to bed. I avoid sleep for as long as I can. I regularly get 3-4 hors sleep per night. Personally I feel its a waste of time that otherwise could be spent on something else. More so if I am manic. Then I go for a few days w/o sleep. not a good situation

Insomnia can case memory problems. I don't even want to begin thinking to what degree my memory is affected by lack/absence of sleep.

Wiz

Just dont take sleeping tablets from gp,they are not a solution and really addictive,I have been taking them for a while now,I find I can take 60mgs each night and still only sleep for four hours tops,this makes things pretty horrendous as I only get my meds on a weekly basis due to previous ods,it inevitably means I have quite a few nights when I just dont sleep at all.Try the herbal remedies.

Archived