Mental Health Forums

What Bmi To Hospitalise

ftfrgrl

hi, please could someone let me know at what bmi you are hospitalised at? need to know as going into hospital on thursday and scared i wont' get out again after the surgery.

also, what bmi is considered anorexic in your countries?

at what bmi would one definately look skin and bones. i never seem to get there

thanks

ftfrgrl

Here is some general info on BMI and whats considered anorexic which I think is a pretty world wide standard.

http://web4health.info/en/answers/ed-dia-weight-bmi-calc.htm

As for hospitalisation, I think it differs per hospital what standards they uphold for involuntary hospitalisation but I read somewhere its usually around a BMI of 16-17.

And a normal person would see that by BMI 20 they´d start to look like skin and bones. By normal I mean someone without anorexia because when you have anorexia you will probably never see it and never be satisfied with how much you weigh or how skinny you look, this is part of the problem.

You sound very ill my dear and I hope you will consider getting yourself help.

Hope this is of help to you.

Lilly

hi, please could someone let me know at what bmi you are hospitalised at? need to know as going into hospital on thursday and scared i wont' get out again after the surgery.

thanks

ftfrgrl

.[/quot

thanks

ftfrgrl

.[/quot

Yeah im going to reply again. I jst feel a bit wound up over this post. 'at what bmi would one look skin and bones'? I really dont think that question is neccesary and can be quite offensive to some.

Eva xx

thanks

ftfrgrl

.[/quot

Yeah im going to reply again. I jst feel a bit wound up over this post. 'at what bmi would one look skin and bones'? I really dont think that question is neccesary and can be quite offensive to some.

Eva xx

i never meant to hurt anyones feelings. its my own insecurities and uncertainty. i know that one must look skinny at a low bmi but i just wanted to ask what others thought would be that bmi. i personally think i only begin to look thin at bmi 15.5 and even then certainly not emaciated......... my mind is warped with regards to weight so it probs was a stuipid selfish thing to ask

sorry

:(

I wasnt getting at you personally.

I understand youre worried and i empathise with you in this.

Im sorry too for my reply. Its just i have an auntie whose anorexic and i see her as person. Not skin and bone.

It doesnt matter, dont worry bout it.

Love Eva xx

Sorry

Im sorry too for my reply. Its just i have an auntie whose anorexic and i see her as person. Not skin and bone.

Love Eva xx

Sorry

And hey. My bmi is high. Must be. Im big. And i hate it.

Love Eva xx

Sorry

And hey. My bmi is high. Must be. Im big. And i hate it.

oh eva, i feel so bad. you shouldn't worry about your weight. with all my weird thinking over my own body i know for a fact that size and weight do not a happy person make. its whats inside and life experience that make for a self content individual....

i could weigh zero and i would still be unhappy......

lots of love to you dear eva :hug2:

Yeah youre right

Love to you too :hug2::sofa: Im feeling pretty bad. Sorry again.

Love Eva xx

don't be silly sweet eva, you have no reason to feel bad. i am glad you posted what you did as it has made me realise just how warped and stuipd my mind is!!!! i feel as though i am looking back at what i am like and it is not nice. i am just so desperate to be thin. i don't know why. it means everything (almost) to me to maintain a childs body. i have no life outside of this obsession. to be honest i was actually thinking that i am going to die on thursday, that when they put me under for my surgery i shall never wake up. i am still really scared of this, just can't tell anyone in my 'real world'........ i guess it will be what i deserve though. people will be saying 'well would you believe that after all that 'funny business with food' she went out that way.....

sigh.........

nite nite (its nearly 10pm here)

love

me

Yeaah its nearly 10 here too. Im in uk too.

You will be okay. Try not to worry about it. I really do care what happens to you. So you look after yourself.

You are whats inside that counts. And youre a lovely person.

Love ya.

Love and hugs Eva xx Night night xx

• 7 months later...

To be hospitalised against your will with anorexia, one of the factors involves having a BMI under 13. But also anorexics can be hospitalised for rapid weight loss, self harm etc. In my opinion, thin is a healthy weight. Too thin is under 17.5 and emaciated is under 15

Hi ftfrgrl

It depends on your BMI plus it would depend on how fast your losing the weight, like for me i have HUGE problems around food and weight and its driveing me crazy

You would think that all doctors would use this guide wouldn't you?! But only a few do. Must doctors usually are informed by a community psychiatritst regarding hospitalisation and they themselves follow the NICE guidelines regarding sectioning etc. Rather than a BMI of 15 being regarded as severely underweight, some how it has changed to a BMI of 13 or below. But the other criteria for hospitalisation is still used

You'd think a lot of professionals would follow a lot of the guidance that comes of NSFs but a lot don't, and then we all sit there wondering why care standards are in the main; CRAP!!

You'd think a lot of professionals would follow a lot of the guidance that comes of NSFs but a lot don't, and then we all sit there wondering why care standards are in the main; CRAP!!

I agree. Its ridiculous. But then again, I'm almost certain that many people who are in the situation, are some what glad the professionals don't follow the guidelines. But this ridicule effects many sufferers' family and friends, who do all they can to help.

I think I was a little harsh... I think its a lot to do with limited resources and Clinical Priorities coming into play as well, but only a little.

I think I was a little harsh... I think its a lot to do with limited resources and Clinical Priorities coming into play as well, but only a little.

Its a mixture. I think that the diagnosis and guidelines are not as perfect as it could be. This is a mixture of lack of professionalism and under funding.

it depends on lots of things though not just bmi, the last time i was in hospital, well i was admitted because of my ed, anyways when psych asessed me they admitted me to the psych hospital, even though my bmi is a disgusting 22.3, if they think that ur physical and mentalhealth is in danger they'll do it anyway regardless of bmi.

good luck hun!

x

even though my bmi is a disgusting 22.3, if they think that ur physical and mentalhealth is in danger they'll do it anyway regardless of bmi.

good luck hun!

x

I know its hard to think otherwise, but 22.3 is not disgusting. Its in the normal range. You are in a physical position where mortality rate is lower, mental ability is shaper and all round healthier. Being underweight has no physical benefits, only social ones...(unfortunately) and even they are irrational and unlogical

Archived