Mental Health Forums

Any Experience Of Aa?

Barebones

as im just wondering i might go after my birthday, what expeierence have you had and what happend? can i go when not fully sober yet or what is the score?

some feedback would be great as im contimplating this as its my last straw.

thanks in advance.

hey bb,

I have not had any experiance with AA myself, just wanted to say that I think its great you are thinking of going to do this hun, and good luck with it if you follow this through!

sunshinex

I can only speak for it in the us, but it is a wonderful place of support and help. They are a group of the most accepting people I've meet. The would even welcome you and help you if you walked in falling down drunk. I think it is great you are thinking of going.

• 2 months later...

my mum went and I think it was her willpower alone nd realisation that it was recking our relationship that made her stop drinking.. but she did describe it and from how it sounds, it seems great to be able to go somewhere and meet so many like-minded people who would be able to understand where you're coming from.

Hey BB -

I really do admire you for thinking about going through with this. As the others have

said, (in the states) they are a very supportive, and understanding group of people.

They know and understand the struggle that each person goes through. There is so

much material there, to help you in this journey also. Some of the books are really

worth while. I am here if you need to talk.

March

thanks sean and march, i havent went through with it yet but some changes has to happen this year so im thnking about cutting out alcohol in the new year. its going to be a struggle so i will rethink again about AA.

I think it would really help.

I mean my mum hasn't had a drink now for about a year.

Good luck.

It's so good that you want to cut it out..

You'll feel so much healthier.

my best friend starting going to AA a while ago. She loves it. You can go there if you are still drinking. In her town which is medium sized there are 6 meetings a day at various venues meaning that she has lots of choice and opportunity to get to one. She has been befriended and that person is going to the meetings she chooses with her. She had many phone numbers of other goers by the end of the first week. She finds it totally supportive and finds that she can be 100% honest finally about her addiction.

good luck, i guess you can give it a go, and if it helps then great, if it doesnt then at least you have tried and im sure if that didnt help they would be keen to find ways that might help you.

Hello,

Im glad you're thinking about going. I went for a long time and it was so great for me. There is so much understanding and support. I belive you can go if you're not sober yet... but when you start the program you really have to try not to. But if you slip up they understand and are just very encouraging to stick with the program and they will help you. The only down side I experienced with it to be honest is that you have to make sure you stick with the right people. My experience, and it is only that, is that some people there are not serious about getting sober and it could be a bad influence. So just feel people out would be my advice. It is a wonderful program that really works in my opinon. Good luck!!!!

hey bones

i went to a rehab for alcohol.

you dont have to be sober when booked in, they will do that all for you.

it is hard work and you will go nuts for a drink, but you have to push through.

you are locked in and are not allowed out, so getting alcohol is close to impossible,

today, 4 years on, i still drink, but not that much.

that was in south africa, dont know if it works differently here.

there is loads of therapy groups also during the day.

HI Barebones

I really admire you for wanting to kick the alcohol. It is a poistive step forward for you even if it is just a conseideration at the moment, it shows that you want to do something about it. Good luck with it and if you struggle with come here to and we will support you

Take care

chealsea

thanks peeps for recent posts about this,im about to start on the 2nd of jan to stop drinking but i will have a drink at weekends. prob just the one day and aslong as i dont binge i will cope. im still considering joining AA after the new year when my husband gets his car so he can take me. i have diziapam at the ready but im stressed and shaking at the moment about the consent of giving up. its a must that i do this and not to fail as i need to take control this year when hubby is working ft and i have to look after everything so i cant do that with hangovers everyday. so thanks for the good wishes and i will come here when im finding things rough. so thanks for taking the time out to respond.

take care everyone.

Hi Bb,

Years ago I was with a guy who wanted to stop drinking and he asked if I would go to an AA meeting with him as he was too nervous to go on his own (its a big step) so we went to a meeting in Tottenham, North London. He was still drinking at the time and even drank cans of lager in the actual meeting so I know you don’t have to be fully sober to go to AA. It did eventually work for him and he gave up drinking.

By the way, have you thought of going along to just one meeting and seeing what its like? I think you’ll find that the people at AA are pretty supportive.

Take care,

Beth xx

BB

Yes I've had experience of AA. The only prerequisite for joining is that you have the intention of giving up alcohol (since alcoholics don't have the ability to have small amounts on a continuing basis)

The groups are VERY vatiable and you need to try a few to see if you can find the right one for you. It is easy to begin by feeling like and outsider.

Best of luck.

Archived