Mental Health Forums

Music And What It Does To You

Phantasy Star

I love music, it's my passion (i also play a musical instrument) but music is huge to me because it allows me to express emotions that nothing else normally manages to capture, or at least in vast variations in such a small period of time.

What fascinates me is how we define individually what we love about music. I have always been fascinated with how one can depict the different types of intruments and style to translate them into your own perception of "greatness".

I think music has been one of the most important things in my life, and has been a huge factor when helping with my depression.

music can help and hinder me, it can trigger unwanted feelings aswell as give good feeling..

maybe you should look into music therapy, there is such thing about :)

it can trigger unwanted feelings aswell as give good feeling..

Hey ya :)

I see what you mean, for example, a certain song can bring memories of something that happened in your life in the past? I tend to avoid songs like that even though they happen to be some of my favourite songs, but this can't be avoided as music is played everywhere you go and on the TV, there's bound to be a tune that you can associate with your life.

Hey

Music, lets me express stuff I think. If I am angry then I will put on some angry music and if I am down then I put on sad stuff. But saying that, it can hinder me cos of these things.

But music, will help lift my mood sometimes there are certain songs and if I hear them no matter how bad I feel they will make me smile.

sunshinex

Music has been like a lifelong friend to me. Although I started to play piano when I was three, I quit early. I think the real reason I quit was lack of support from my parents. But now I am discovering it again, and my husband has been very supportive about my music. So now I'm getting a chance at a second childhood. But listening to music has always been comforting. Bach's Goldberg Variations. I listen to them every day. They just soothe my soul. My piano lessons are the highlight of my week too. I live for them! My teacher is incredibly supportive. I take voice lessons too but these don't make me as happy because I'm not good at it!

What instrument do you play phantasy? What music do you listen to? What is it about music that makes you feel good? I listen to music to match all of my moods.

arwen

• 3 weeks later...

I listen to music less and less in the last 2 years. It has been one of the no go areas of my life, it certainly makes me feel, and some days that is more than I really need.

I have noticed that I find less joy and more pain in things I use to involve myself with, I have cut out a huge part of interacting with the simple things in life because of this.

That is not to say I never listen to music, but I can go days on end in total silence.

Sah

I suppose I could benefit for the therapy part of music therapy, :wacko:

i never heard music until the age of 16. well except school music lessons, but i wouldnt call that "music" per se.

as a result i have a strange relationship with it now. i want to love it etc but just cant do it right. i do have some

favourite bands, but hmm, it's complicated.

Music has been a big of my support in life. I dont know have to play any instruments for I always wanted to sing. Listening to music and singing, and dreaming that I am up there on stage makes me feel alive. I still have that hope to become a singer :)

• 2 weeks later...

Some music can be good for meditation. I like listening to Native American flute cds at night to relax and meditate. Other music I try to avoid because it triggers unwanted feelings. I like listening to metal and pop while I'm driving because it keeps my mind occupied and less stressed in traffic.

Was going to make a post about this, funny that you brought it up as well. Was going to point out, music for me I used to use as an aid in s.h. 'rituals'. Thought about t.v. show HOUSE M.D. where Hugh Laurie makes fun that a woman who self-injuers, "uses cutting to deal with pain, probably highly ritualized. you probably play the same sarah mclaughlin song over and over again when you do it...." amused me at the time. but, thinking back on it, i used to play the same cd over and over again: goo goo dolls: dizzy up the girl, whenever i would cut/cry/journal. Music plays a huge part in not only our lives dealing with mental illness, but anyone who is human, anyone who can have the joy of listening to music. It is a great comfort to me. Sadness, pain, joy, triumph, etc. all expressed in song. Funny to me how sad songs play on your emotions more than happy songs. There's a name for that, can't remember what it is at this time.

I saw that episode of House and I was really upset at that comment because I once had a Sarah McLachlan song playing on repeat while I was laying dying on my spare bedroom floor (I was found in time obviously). That song was Gloomy Sunday.

Music for me has the ability to aid in my moods, be they good or bad. It can help project me to highs and extreme lows. I can sometimes project my emotions into the song that I am playing. I am never one to play a happy song if I am low, my song choice from itunes directly reflects my mood to all around me.

For instance last time I seriously s/harmed I was playing Hallejulah by Rufus Wainwright. Yeah it might be from the Shrek soundtrack but I find the song strangely depressing. I seem to put that song on whenever I am low and stressed. Ridiculous I know considering I find it so triggering. I just can't stop myself though, it is like if I don't feel bad enough this song has to make me feel worse.

• 2 weeks later...

when it doesnt mesh

like some falsely happy bland radio shit,

you'll never feel more alone

more alienated and just plain *apart*

(maybe if the whole of western media was'nt this complete disconnect, smiling happy faces, wonderful sex and bling bling everywhere)

i dunno about you but persoanlly britney spears will have me rocketing towards slash & burn territory a helluvalot faster than any downer droning

when it does

and its suitably depressing

you don't feel like the only one

does anyone else get high off of extremely depressing music?

Real wrist slashers now, funeral dirge soundtracks for me

and its NOT trigerring for me, at least not in a dangerous way

they tell the only truths i recongize (melodramatic sounding i know :rolleyes: )

at least-and i say this grudgingly- at the moment

all i do is listen to Radiohead lately because its the bleakest, most frightening sounds i can locate and its pure catharsis for me, vindication, without leering into outright teenage narcissm or navel gazing dishonesty

nothing delights me more than 'Exit music', (we hope...that you choke...that you choke....that you chooooke....)

or 'how to disappear completely' (disassociation in distilled lisening format that)

Idioteque, Motion picture soundtrack, Karma police,No surprises etc etc etc ETC

jeezuz its the only drugs worth a damn i have

theres nothing more frightening to me than empty rock songs or (gulp) repetetive stalker sounding ballads

its like thats all that on

take me back to the self loathing 90s scene thank you very much B)

i mean

sometimes i can go in for angry punk

but i have to have be in the right mood

i guess its just like

'oh hey, someone else doesn't (feel like a million bucks, good on them for admitting it'

• 1 month later...

I just couldn't survive without music. It fills the hole inside of me.

I love listening to music SUPER LOUD. It drives out negative thoughts from my head but then my boyfriend hates it cus it gives him a headache. :rolleyes:

Archived